What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Pfffft..this is nothing..look at mayahana's setup :p

2. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

He monitors the Galaxy! I think he is "Klingon"...LOL. Gives good analysis of AV programs.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Back to F-Secure Safe. I really like this product and since its Weight Watchers diet, the lightest version yet.:)

4. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Dang.. That guy isn't safe, he's ruining his machine. Worse, most of what he is doing is largely theatrics. I can see having a lot of 'real' security but this guy is stacking dumb tool on top of dumb tool. Maybe you should tell the poor guy that all of that is junk, and that he really just needs to build himself an Untangle box or something? Does he not realize Norton 2015 ALONE will stop almost everything (if not 100%) because of Reputation and Insight? Maybe it's best to let him live in his nightmare. Or I guess we could tell him that he might want to download Virtualbox, and drop a MINT ISO on it, and uninstall all of that useless junk?

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

6. Tarantula

Tarantula Guest

Back to ZA free AV+FW

7. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I like F-Secure, too, in particular the anti-virus only version. No toy features, no stream scanner and DeepGuard is a very powerful behavior blocker, that not only features behavioral analysis, but includes file reputation / prevalence and exploit protection on top of it. Aside from that I think F-Secure is a respectable company.

8. Does somebody know whether the Yandex safe browsing feature also includes the data of the Sophis URL filter?

9. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

That's like saying you are trying to see who has the most bumper stickers on their car.. Some contests - you just don't want to be a part of.

10. Windows 7 32 bits ultimate:
    - GPO: WFW block outbound, disabled risk-ware, lock user autoruns, deny execute USB
    - Applocker (allow trusted), AppGuard (locked down), ACL deny execute threatgate folders
    - Norton DNS, Chrome safe browsing, GPO only allow Chrome extensions Avast and Adguard

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  11. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

Why the Avast extension?

12. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Major updates.. I had today off so I spent part of it on some overdue upgrades, firmware updates, and a change I wanted to make for a long time.. Most importantly, I now have two UTM/NGFW's online, a primary Sophos UTM functioning as gateway firewall, offering Web Protection, IPS, Firewall, Country Filtration, Dual AV's. Then an Untangle UTM in transparent with Web Filtration, AV+AVLite, Adblock/CookieBlock.

Most importantly, this gives my network the following antivirus protection: Sophos, Avira, Bit Defender, ClamAV, AVG. Even more important, this takes place with sub 1ms latency.

Connection/Multi-Homed:
    180Mbps Cable Connection WAN1
    AT&T 10Mbps DSL - Multi-Homed, Failover via WAN2.
    AT&T 4G LTE Hotspot Box - Provided by work for free, in the event everything else fails.
    OpenDNS

Frontend:

Motorola DOCSIS3.0 SB6141
    Sophos UTM 9.3 Layer 8 NGFW/UTM Appliance
    Untangle UTM Layer 7 in Bridge/Transparent Mode (Web Filter, Adblocker, Bit Defender, ClamAV)
    ASUS RT-AC87R (Access Point Mode Only)
    - Primary Wireless, Ghetto-vLAN with Restricted LAN access. Hardware timer to kill this from 12m-7am every night. (threat surface and telemetry harvesting reduction)
    TP-Link AP
    - Segregated AP for security cameras only. MAC restricted to just cameras. No LAN connectivity, PF to SEC Server. On 24/7. Signal truncated to exact dimensions of home.
    Layer 3 GBE 16 Port Switch (Cisco)

Systems:
    Win 8.1x w/Tweaks+Lockdowns
    Trustport Antivirus 2015 w/PUA Enabled, HIPS on Full. (AVG+BitDefender)
    PeerBlock (paid, with all Malware/Adware databases - 1.5 million IP's blocked)
    Admuncher (for Heuristic Script and Webbug Blocking)
    Chrome w/uBlock(default), Vanilla Cookie HTTPS Everywhere.

Backup/Redundancy/Conditioning
    Lenovo IX4-300D 12TB Raid10 Network Access Storage (NAS)
    Encrypted Cloud Backup to COLO (company solution)
    3X Cyberpower 1500VA AVR UPS
    GOES KVAR 1200 (Power Conditioning, Whole House Surge Protector, Reactive Power Storage)
    Generac 20,000 Watt Air-Cooled Aluminum Enclosure Natural Gas Powered Standby Gen w/Transfer Switch

Network Structure
    Subnet Segregation (Blue/Green/Red Zones)
    vLAN Isolation
    MAC Filtration

I also run a variety of servers. Including an obfuscation server that pushes out 'fake' network traffic, searches, and activity to mask real activity. In addition to a security system (including cams) server.

13. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Well if I had a spare $10,000 laying around.........:)

14. Did some testing on URL blocking: AddGuard with Google and Yandex is very good and Avast did also very well (better than BD or Avira extension). Since accusation of Avast spying on customers, the Avast cookie is gone.

15. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

You could get your hair sorted out :argh:

same old here: ESET SS on 2 win8 machines
    and EAM on 2 x Win7 machines with WFC.
    Less is more :)

16. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Microsoft Windows 8.1 SL x64
    - SmartScreen Filter: on, get administrator approval
    - User Account Control: max, always notify - Standard User Account
    - Windows Firewall: on
    - Network: DD-WRT and OpenDNS
    - EMET 5.1: max settings, popular software and Internet-facing applications

Mozilla Firefox 37.0.1
    - Master Password enabled
    - µBlock
    - DownThemAll!

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8
    - Enabled potentially unwanted, unsafe and suspicious applications
    - Integrated document protection

NoVirusThanks Driver Radar Pro
    - Lockdown mode

SyncBackFree
    - Back-up every four hours
    - Mirror important documents and media to separate storage

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  17. Alternatively you could buy a Sitecom X8 (€ 139,50) with Sitecom cloud security (HitmanPro in the router, €40 for two years). This would set you back € 300 in total for eight years usage (average lifespan of a router at households is 8 year). HitmanPro in the router uses Bitdefender, Kapersky and HMP cloud, also it seems to have some exploit prevention (exercutables triggered by Java, Flash, PDF are blocked from downloading).

With two AV's in the router and MBAE/Appguard in your setup, you could drop EAM, saving you a € 39,95 ayear, which would save you € 240 in eight year, reducing the relative costs of such an upgrade to only €60, say roughly eight Euro's a year compared to current expense level.

Comparing this against the cost of Mr Mahayana's setup the X8 would be a no-brainer. Since your ISP contract would probably not exceed 300 Mbs anyway. Even mr. Mayahana's fibre connection 'only' has 180 Mbps, so he only uses half of the capacity of his overconfigured setup at best, see test results of hardware info (test is done with three simultaneous data streaming clients).

Untitled.png

The capacity of WL routers is total theoretical capacity (so you have to share this with all clients). Also more distance causes more interference and loss through objects (walls, ceilings), that is why WL throughputs are always lower as what is mentioned as the WL router's capacity. The AC87U and AC87R are identical (R is only sold by best buy).

18. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Just Emet 5.2 ublock and Adguard

19. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Introducing the Terrific Trio...ESET SS 8...AppGuard...WSA Security Plus. They all get along seemlessly! Eset on my system is running light and nimble...best performance since Version 4...really pleased with the Trio's overall Performance. Sincerely...Have a Super Boss...Where it's at; Rockin Weekend! Sincerely...Securon

20. simmersK00L

simmersK00L Registered Member

on XP: EAM9, just installed OutPost Firewall Pro 9.1, and really liking it, stable light and fast, voodooshield 2.30, mbae 1.06, ublock. Sometimes run firefox and dragon with sbie 3.76 (v3.76 to be compatible with mbae IIRC).

21. King Mellow

King Mellow Registered Member

My New Security Setup:
    Real-Time Protection:
    Main Antivirus/Anti-Malware - ESET NOD32 8 (1-Year License)
    Firewall - Windows Firewall
    Firewall Tool - Windows Firewall Control (Lifetime)
    Router - NETGEAR Wireless Router
    UAC - Maximum
    Windows SmartScreen - On
    Anti-Exploit - Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (Free)
    Anti-Executable - AppGuard 4 (Lifetime)
    HIPS - ESET
    Web Filter - ESET
    Ad Blocker - uBlock
    DNS Server - Norton DNS
    USB Protection - McShield Anti-Malware
    Anti-PUP/Anti-Adware - Unchecky
    On-Demand Scanner/Security Kit - Emsisoft Emergency Kit (Portable)
    Browser Immunization - SpywareBlaster
    Online File Scanner - VirusTotal Uploader

22. Malwar

Malwar Registered Member

Updated security set-up, I would like to see Geohot or VUPEN bypass this: Security: HP Chromebook 14 g3 tegra k1 2gb of ram,Umatrix(allow css+image globally and block everything else including 1st party blocked so only sites I whitelist are allowed and all other sites are blocked and I only allow the bare minimum for a site to work+ublock,https everywhere

23. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

King Mellow, someone may correct me but I don't think Appguard licenses are lifetime.

24. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

25. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Built-in: Software Restriction Policies, User Account Control on max, Windows Firewall inbound
    Anti-virus: ESET AV 8, file execution protection only, protocol filtering disabled
    Browser: Google Chrome x64, uBlock (Ads, Privacy, Malware, Social + 3rd party scripts and frames), other security and privacy settings configured
    Backup: Macrium Reflect for daily incremental backups

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.