What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

At the moment I am using BeeDoctor, which uses the Avira engine, and does not have on access protection, but does have automatic USB scanning.

I also have MBAM installed for occasional on demand scans.

I have the real time protection of Windoes Defender disabled.

2. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

My PC#3 security setup

Windows 7 64-bit Prof

Admin acc
    UAC at max
    Windows updates automatic

Paragon image of sys partition with boot CDs

Comodo Time Machine 2.8

Comodo IS
    AV - stateful
    HIPS - Safe
    FW - Custom
    Sandbox - FV, all browsers and internet apps sandboxed as Partially Limited

Emet 5.0 covers all office and internet apps - some overkill with CIS HIPS and Sandbox

Zemana AntiLogger

This setup is rather overkill though light for the PC.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  3. Desktop setup (Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits)
    - Windows Firewall (also blocking outbound), disabled all risk-ware services and sharing
    - Deny elevation of unsigned, software restriction for basic users, lock user autoruns
    - Chromium for trusted sites, allow javascript from NL+COM domains, no flash/java
    - K-Meleon for surfing as anonymous user with Sandboxie free in virtual XP-Mode
    - Contingency plan is Windows Image and SyncBackFree Data Backup to NAS

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  4. BonskY

BonskY Registered Member

Built a new Window 7 PC...

WSA Complete + MBAM 2 PREMIUM + MBAE PREMIUM + Keeping everything updated...that it !...

Have a nice day

BonskY

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  5. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Introducing Homeland Security Mk 21! Vipre I.S. 2015...Appguard...Voodoo Shield! The Old Light and Lethal! Sincerely...Securon

6. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

While my favorite antivirus program is away...

ESET NOD32 Antivirus 8.0
    Windows Firewall Control 4
    EMET 5.0

7. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

Got a desktop with Old hardware. Loaded Windows XP in it. Protected by L'n'S Firewall, Appguard in Lockdown mode and MBAE Premium in a LUA setup.

8. rafaelsct01

rafaelsct01 Registered Member

The users here are quite paranoid, all this care is really necessary? :)

9. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

It's an unhealthy obsession with many, a type of OCD. Overkill, changing products weekly, sometimes daily, sometimes depending on test results, and worse, unprofessional tests and/or rigged results can be the basis of some changes. But overall it's all not really necessary. It's like Preppers or something, they take basic things and go into overkill mode on it, possibly a form of mental illness according to some experts in psychology. Some guys here run 10 security programs at once, when all that really is needed is an adblocker, a reasonably good AV, regular updates and common sense.

10. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

and backup... ;)

11. guest

guest Guest

I would really love to break everyone's common nonsenses now.

---------------------------------------------

Still only with EMET and NoScript, and Macrium and manual backups as fallback plans. Since GIMP had been out of my PC now I might be able to get back to CHIPS, but I'm still not sure.

12. Minimalist

With good CHIPS you could allow plugin execution with parent-child rules that would not generate popups but still give you good protection. At least that was the way how I configured Malware Defender when I was using it.

13. guest

guest Guest

That is the problem, it's not efficient to trying out all those plugins in learning mode to put them into my whitelist.

14. Securon

Good Evening! So Much for OCD...Lol! Avira A/V Pro...AppGuard...SAS Pro. Sincerely...Securon

15. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

To be quite honest, I got sick and tired of changing setups, it became too tiring for me.

I just run the basics and have been doing so for awhile now.

Do I miss the changing of setups...not at all.

Of course, this is just me, some people still do enjoy it.

16. Minimalist

With Malware Defender I usually created rule for "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe" --- Allow run: c:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\*.exe. With this rule all plugins were allowed to run with no popups and no Learning mode being used.

17. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Also,I think people want to feel, see, and hear their AV, and if it gets quiet they want to try other products. Nevermind the fact it is working silently, and protecting them, they thrive see 'new bling' and to try every new thing. The logical thing to do is to try various products (trial versions on VM), see what meets your needs, and then deploy it and move on. It's the moving on part people have so much trouble with. I think I have only run 3 different AV's over the last decade. Eset, Trend, F-Secure and most recently Norton due to the merger of their Enterprise w/consumer. The only changes prompted by the price, or offers I can get at the time. But since I run Trend at the router level now I want a 'layer' that isn't Trend, and Norton suffices for that. I probably won't change products for another year.

I'm not sure what Ron is trying to find, but it probably doesn't exist. :argh:

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

still Kaspersky Pure

19. guest

guest Guest

Can't be done in OA as far as I can remember. =(

20. Securon

Good Afternoon! Ron just found it! Can you believe it? Norton Security 2015...Appguard...Hmp Alert! That's All For Now Folks! Sincerely...The Ever Searching...Securon...Lol!

21. siketa

siketa Registered Member

Vipre didn't last long, huh?
    Did it bite itself? :)

22. Securon

Good Evening! Siketa! I'm really impressed with Vipre I.S.2015...it's super quick...and the New Gui makes navigating it's features a snap. Now I took Advantage of Staples Canada offering Norton I.S.2015 for 50% off...and Not one to be Snake Bitten...when it comes to a Genuine Bargain...I couldn't resist. So far so good Norton like Vipre is Super Quick...and a nice pairing with Appguard and Hmp Alert. Norton's Detection...and Firewall are it's Main Strength's...So I'll put it through it's paces the next couple of weeks...and determine whether or not It's a Keeper. Live from the Malware Snakepit...Sincerely...Securon

23. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Emsisoft IS:
    FW: Always ask incoming/outcoming for all programss
    Surf Protectuion, File Guard, BB in default mode

Sandboxie:
    3 sandboxes
    -with admin allowed for testing programs
    -automatic for browsers
    -automatic for media players - with restricted internet access

The setup seems light and unobtrusive.

24. guest

guest Guest

Removed Cookie Monster. Wasn't due to problems, just felt like dropping it for now.

25. DX2

DX2 Guest

Just AppGuard and W7 FW and Adblock Plus. Been done with AV's for a few months now...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.