What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I'm giving avast! (free) a bit of a run on my underpowered Belnea O.book (Vista with 1Gb RAM!), replacing MSE. I've removed the feature creep I don't need, something avast! allows you to do. I can open files of executables without waiting five minutes now. The updates are quick and I don't live in dread of the MSE update slowing everything to a crawl.

avast! could be a keeper (on this laptop at least).

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

He never asked my opinion but he told me on more than a few occasions that he liked and appreciated what I write about Sandboxie. I thought that was nice and coming from him, it encouraged me and gave me the confidence to keep writing about Sandboxie.

Bo

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! Re-placed Voodoo Shield with Eset S.S.7...in tandem with AppGuard...and WSA Security Plus! Missed the Firewall! Sincerely...Securon

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Wow! I didn't know Belnea produced computers as well, I had an 17" CRT Belnea Monitor once. Around 13yrs ago :D

5. Daveski17

Yeah, they made monitors a lot. Their laptops were used in education mostly, we had quite few old ones still going strong at the last college I taught at. Although they were in the main replaced with Lenovo Thinkpads.

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Ah I see, that probably explains why I have never heard of it before. And good choice on the replacement I think.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Link? :thumb:

8. bo elam

For you my friend:cool:, here is your own personal guide: You can run Windows explorer sandboxed from the Sandboxie folder in Start menu (Sandboxie>Run Windows Explorer sandboxed). But there might be a little problem for you if you try to run Windows Explorer from there, if you try to, Windows Explorer is going to attempt to start in the DefaultBox and if your DefaultBox is restricted, WExplorer is going to be blocked, you ll get a SBIE message 1308 and WExplorer wont run. So users with an unrestricted DefaultBox can run WExplorer from there but since you are using a restricted sandbox you need to do something else.

You should create a new sandbox (SBIE control>Sandbox>Create New sandbox), you can call it Window Explorer, restrict it as you like, no internet allowed, Drop rights, set to Delete on closing, etc. Now you can run Windows Explorer by right clicking the Sandboxie icon in the Taskbar, Hover your browser over the new Windows Explorer sandbox and click "Run Windows Explorer."

You can leave things like that or to make running the sandboxed Windows explorer even easier, you can Create a sandboxed shortcut for Windows Explorer, that way it will run with one click (SBIE Control>Configure>Windows Shell Integration, Click Add Shortcut icons, Select the sandbox that you created for Windows Explorer, OK, find the entry for Windows explorer in one of the menus, Click it, after doing so, you ll find the sandboxed shortcut for Windows Explorer in your Desktop. You can leave it there or move it to the taskbar).

Bo

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Bo, you know I appreciate what you do around here, and also having you as a friend.
    Now take another moment, por favor, to explain why a user would want to run Windows explorer sandboxed.

10. bo elam

I think the sandboxed Windows explorer is a great tool for people using the free version. Let me give you a couple of examples. Someone using the free version can navigate to his download folder using a sandboxed Windows explorer and his downloads will run sandboxed. In a way, it works sort of like if their downloads folder is forced. Or it can be used for navigating to their USB drive. Those two purposes right there makes using a sandboxed Windows explorer a must for people using the free version. And there's plenty more things that they can use it for.

And Page, the sandboxed windows explorer is not being used as much as it should be. I view the sandboxed Windows explorer as a gift from Tzuk for people using the free version and as one of the most important tools in Sandboxie.

I have a sandboxed shortcut for Windows explorer in my taskbar in each of my computers. This wonderful tool might not seem important to most people using the paid version but it is. I use it for navigating to any file that I am not really sure if the file is what is supposed to be or to run sandboxed any picture that I download from the internet. I do that automatically.

Bo

11. Daveski17

Yeah, both Thinkpads and Belnea laptops are tough enough to survive students lol!

I've had six AV's on this laptop now: Bullguard, Norton, McAfee, Panda, MSE and finally avast!.

12. New Chrome launched faster on new Pentium CPU (G3240 in stead of E5200) after mobo replacement of Desktop. With this CPU tweaking and tuning for speed becomes a non-issue, therefore I installed TWO security applications: :blink:

- Enabled Windows Firewall for outbound, disabled remote access services
    - Secure policy (locked internet facing, SRP user space, ACL deny for drive-by's)
    - AppGuard V4 (allow windows & chrome update) and MBAM V2 monitoring user space

Old E5200 (2GB) 5 executions of Chrome, only EMET installed

New G3240 (4GB) 5 executions of Chrome, with AppGuard & MBAM installed

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

@ bo elam... TY for your detailed and wise explanation. :thumb:

14. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Bo beat me to it ...enjoy. :)

Regards Eck

15. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

I`m sure he is aware of your unswerving faith in his product and being appreciated by a tech genius like Tzuk must be great ?:)

Regards Eck

16. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Sticking with the same Real-time protection, am super happy with this setup.

Changed/Added:

Firefox - S3 Download Statusbar with Automatic scanning of downloads, with VT Hash Check (Works really good)

17. JohnMult

JohnMult Registered Member

Windows XP Home SP3 (all updates) Admin account behind a router
    1 Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus
    2 AVG LinkScanner 2014
    3 Google Chrome starting limited with PsExec (μblock: Easylist, EasyPrivacy, Peter Lowe’s Ad server list, Dan Pollock’s hosts file, MVPS HOSTS)
    4 Norton DNS
    5 SpywareBlaster
    6 No Java installed
    7 Foxit Reader limited with PsExec (Disable Javascript actions)

Light - Secure - SetAndForget

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  18. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Win-7 x64 Ultimate
    SUA
    UAC

Paragon and Macrium OS images

Eaz-Fix (snapshot time machine, Rx clone)

Norton ConnectSafe

Comodo Firewall
    Firewall: Custom Ruleset
    Auto-Sandbox: Fully Virtualized
    HIPS: Safe Mode

EMET 5.0 tp3: covered all routine and internet apps, explorer, sidebar
    DEP: Always On
    SEHOP Opt Out
    ASLR Opt In
    Pinning Disabled

Baidu AV, Avira engine is enabled for real-time protection

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  19. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! Installed Bitdefender I.S.2015...Re:Offer from Softpedia...9 mth Complimentary...Offer. In tandem with AppGuard and HMP and Hmp Alert. Sincerely...Securon

20. Ripcord

Ripcord Registered Member

G Data Internet Security 2015...Hitman Pro On-Demand

21. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

• Shadow Defender
    • Avetix Antivirus Free
    • Windows 7 Firewall
    • SuperAntiSpyware v6.0 pre-release
    • Zemana Antilogger
    • WinPatrol Plus
    • McShield

22. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Microsoft Windows 8.1 SL x64 [main gaming rig]
    - SmartScreen Filter: on, get administrator approval
    - User Account Control: max, always notify
    - Windows Firewall: on
    - Standard User Account
    - EMET 4.1 Update 1: maximum security settings

Mozilla Firefox 30.0
    - Use master password
    - AdBlock Plus: EasyList

Panda Cloud Antivirus Free
    - Daily and Monthly scheduled scans
    - Detect PUPs

SyncBackFree
    - Timed back up, every 8 hours
    - Mirror important documents and media to separate storage

Debian 7 [netbook auxiliary server]
    - DNS Server [internal DNS cache, forwards to OpenDNS, Google DNS]
    - Zoneminder surveillance
    - Dedicated Bittorrent box

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

TY, Eck.

24. guest

guest Guest

By "temporary disable" means "set it to default-allow"? I did use SRP with blacklisted path rules but, say... when updating Macrium it threw me an error about regsvr32 being blocked, even when I set it to default-allow. That's why I don't use blacklisting rules anymore. Hmmh.... :doubt:

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

25. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I temporary disable it by opening Security levels - rightclick on Unrestricted and select Set as default. This disables SRP entirely. After install (update) I reset my computer and then set Disallowed as default. This way I never had problems yet - even updating Macrium...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.