What is your Free Space ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Windows 7 64-bit System:

Attached Files:

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It's a question of performance. The fastest part of the disk is the rim. By using one partition, and having only a small part of the disk in use, all the data is at the rim. Maximizes performance.

Same reason, I use Raid 0 on my drives.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

From all the posts so far, lots of free space seems to be the standard ... I'm currently showing 25.0 GB free of 33.5 GB total. And I've been fairly steady at 74-76 pct free space over the years; biggest "dent" in free space was back when I was buying MP3s from eMusic, and even that only cost me about 5 pct of space. Got it back when I got active with getting stuff from Amazon -- obviously if I acquired a physical CD there was no point hanging on to the MP3 tracks from it.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Ubuntu Lucid System:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  5. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I mean that your nick need to appear a " mastiff " :D :D , but please don't cripple my nick ;) and don't be unnecessarily ironic. Cheers ;)

6. JAH

JAH Registered Member

C, D, & E are internal 10,000 rpm Raptor drives.

JAH

Attached Files:

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Pete, I have an 80GB HD. 10 GB is used for the system, leaving me with 70GB. My stuff takes up 15GB, and I have 2 snapshots using my FD-ISR giving me a total of 45GB used space and 25GB free space. Are you saying that if I delete one of those snapshots leaving me with 30GB used space and 40GB free space J'll see an improvement in performance? :blink:

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What I do with FDISR, is have one small secondary as a place to boot, and all the other big stuff is just in Archives. Can't boot to them, but you can swap out.

Will you see a performance boost. Assuming you use a defragger that moves the files to the edge of the disk, the answer is maybe.

Can I tell starting word, and opening a doc file. No. Where I did see it was with Microsoft Train Simulator. It runs through a huge number of scenery files, and the difference between them being scattered all over the disk, or out at the edge was quite noticeable.

So the difference you will see is one of those definitely depends type things.

Pete

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I get what you mean. Thanks for the advice. :)

10. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I like to copy my cd/dvds to .iso and keep them on my hdds. Then I use WinCdEmu and mount them when needed. Takes up a lot of space, but soo much faster. Actually, pretty much anything that is static I like to create an .iso for.

Sul.

11. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

113 GB free of 140 GB. Lean and mean. :D

I think it would be very easy to fill all 140 GB if I wanted to. I'm constantly deleting and uninstalling to keep it lean.

12. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Isn't that the truth. The more space I have, the more often I fill it up. Now I simply go for much longer periods of time before I fill it up (and have to clean it). Laziness I guess.

For example I had about two dozen macrium images on one of my drives. That was a lot of space, but each one had something particular about it that I felt like archiving. At an average of 4gb each, that is a lot of space. In the old days I would have been out of room, used up a lot of dvds, or spanned it across even more cds. Now I can house all of those for months until I clean house, and decide which one(s) I really want to hang onto.

It all comes down to convenience I say.

Sul.

13. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Code:
    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1              37G  6.9G   31G  19% /
    /dev/sda3             181G  127G   54G  71% /home
    /dev/sda4              15G   15M   15G   1% /home/stuff
    tmpfs                 1.9G  100K  1.9G   1% /dev/shm
                          101G   18G   84G  17% /home/folding/paqmach
                          233G   72G  162G  31% /home/share
    total                 568G  223G  345G  40%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.