What is your favourite webmail service provider?

Discussion in 'polls' started by datarishik, Jun 20, 2011.

?

What is your favourite webmail service provider?

1. Yahoo! Mail

20 vote(s)
    14.4%
  2. Gmail

75 vote(s)
    54.0%
  3. GMX Mail

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. AOL Mail

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. Windows Live Hotmail

21 vote(s)
    15.1%
  6. Lavabit

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Mail.com

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Others (Please Specify)

13 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I would assume so, although I have not spent much time on worrying about the issue. Ever since hotmail lost a lot of my work email I have pretty much stayed away from their service. Everything they offer is covered by gmail and I use an android smart phone with work and I don't think hotmail has any legit app for either their email or calendar service for users of androids. Google's email and calendar works very well with my android.

2. guest

guest Guest

3. acr1965

Except that Gmail doesn't offer losing mail from their servers, which hotmail has done twice for me now. This creates a liability issue which businesses cannot afford to risk. Hotmail cannot be my business email anymore because of liability I could face should hotmail lose more emails. It's as simple as that, even if there were no log in problems or any other issues. But there are issues on top of losing emails. MS should have taken hotmail more seriously back when gmail was gaining on them.

4. guest

guest Guest

That criticism of "lost mail" is anecdotal evidence against Live Hotmail. One can't prove its real validity, so it's irrelevant on a discussion. For example, I have been using Live Hotmail for 13 years now (probably more) and never experienced such issue. Can I prove the validity of this statement? No.

Plus, if you search the web for >> lost mail by Gmail <<, for example, you will find similar reports/stories... all "anecdotal evidence".

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

In the real world anecdotal evidence is a driving force... don't dismiss it just because it doesn't fit into the scientific method.

If one service works for me and another doesn't for no real reason other than random chance or whatever, yes it's anecdotal, no it doesn't change anything for me.

6. guest

guest Guest

I'm not dismissing anecdotal evidences entirely, neither saying that they can't be stated in this thread. I'm just noticing that anecdotal evidences work "both ways", for and against every webmail service, so they basically mean nothing in a discussion like this and doesn't really help in getting people to make informed opinions..

7. acr1965

Hotmail has lost emails that were in my account- I know that as I witnessed what I had in my account and what is no longer there. Those emails are gone and I doubt they ever return. I've not lost emails in yahoo or gmail. So do I keep trying hotmail? No.

8. guest

guest Guest

Just to clarify things: I'm not really trying to convince you to try Hotmail again.

However, users willing to experiment shouldn't really worry about "losing mail" on Hotmail more than in any other webmail provider, because there are no technical aspects in the Live Hotmail structure that make this odd situation more frequent in that webmail service than in any other popular webmail service...

The anecdotal evidence for the "lost mail", such as the one you acr1965 provided, can be found for every other popular webmail service - as confirmed by a simple google search of >> lost mail xyx << where xyz is either by Hotmail, by Yahoo or by Gmail, for example.

9. acr1965

Lost emails is one issue. The other issue is whether the email provider can ever recover those emails. Hotmail was not able to recover those which were lost on my account. I am sure there are other email providers which lose email - it's just not happened to me on yahoo or gmail. But it has happened to me on hotmail and hotmail was not able to ever recover those emails. There are reports of other email providers losing emails but it appears many of those issues were remedied later as the email was eventually recovered.

10. guest

guest Guest

Example of lost mails by Hotmail being recovered: http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2...entire-email-inboxes-microsoft-restores-them/

Example of lost mails by Gmail being recovered: http://spectrum.ieee.org/riskfactor/telecom/internet/google-gmail-lost-emails-restored-to-life

11. acr1965

I am aware of those stories. But my issue was with neither of them. Mine was a separate issue where email was lost and not recovered. Personal experience with a product or service is important to some people, or when people are trying out new services or products. I am sure there are several Trillian users who use Chrome as their default browser. MS makes hotmail pretty much unusable for those people who like to sign in automatically to their account. So hotmail is a no-go for me.

I think it was less than a year ago hotmail had the issue of people not being able to sign out of their accounts (with any browser). I would suspect that issue would be important for some- it was for me. So now with hotmail we have almost circled the bases in that it's inconvenient to sign in, historic problems of not being able to sign out and lost/unrecovered email along the way. That's a trifecta of problems which I do not want to experience again.

Do I have some ulterior motive against MS? No. I just want my email easy to get to and for it to be where it's supposed to be. And that just leaves yahoo and gmail for my purposes.

12. guest

guest Guest

Windows Live Sign-in Assistant (or Windows Live Sign-in Assistant for XP) could probably fix that issue.

Never experienced that issue with Hotmail. And if you search for >> cant logout of gmail << you will find similar stories.

Windows Live Sign-in Assistant (or Windows Live Sign-in Assistant for XP) provides unique features on this side; not really fair to call it "inconvenient", when it's a "install and forget".

Problems that were reported with every other popular webmail service through the history.

Perfect. You pick what you want. Just don't pretend that your reasons are somewhat universal.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2011
  13. acr1965

That Live ID appears to be for install on Internet Explorer. Chrome is my default browser. Even if my other issues with hotmail are dismissed, my sign in issues with hotmail are most likely "universal" for people who use trillian and have Chrome as their default browser. That's not "pretending" anything. I'm not sure how to explain it to you any other way. Although I'm sure you are licking your chops for a rebuttal.

14. guest

guest Guest

Instead of bashing Hotmail in online forums, you could always report the problem for the parties involved (Hotmail devs -microsoft- , Chrome devs -google-, and Trillian devs -cerulean-) to track the real responsible(s).

15. acr1965

You presume I have not done that already. Anyway, I'm not bashing anyone, just stating facts of my experience. Don't be upset just because your post about the Live ID was not relevant. Be upset that you go by the name guest.

16. guest

guest Guest

If you really did that, then provide more details, including the official responses of the parties involved and the on-going discussion you had with them.

I'm not upset, I'm just stating my pov.

Btw, what's wrong with the name "sirpeterpan"? LOL.

17. accessgranted

accessgranted Registered Member

Some interseting features of Operamail/Fastmail

Attached Files:

18. Jose_Lisbon

Jose_Lisbon Registered Member

I've been playing with FastMail for the last few days and I must say it is the simpler, fastest and most reliable webmail I've tried.
    The free version is somewhat limited but enough for a regular day to day use.
    I'm even tempted to spend $4.95 on their cheapest paid version.

19. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I think it would have been neat to have an option on your poll for do not use webmail. Would have been cool to see how many don't use it. I absolutely detest any form of webmail and only use it when there is no choice. However when I was forced to use it, I haven't found a whole lot of differences between any of the ones I tried. Basically they all choke to death and constant screen refresh and auto logouts drive me insane. If I had to pick one though it would probably be Exchange server webmail.

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That I have never experienced :).

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Maybe he used Yahoo on a bad day, lol.

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

That must be it because I have never tried Yahoo! :D

23. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

I don't understand why anyone would want to access their emails via webmail when you can access all your accounts, calendars etc from a good email client.

Can someone explain the advantages please?

And on separate thing, some websites prevent users from using hotmail or yahoo to open accounts.

24. acr1965

There are probably several reasons. But one for me is that I can access my web mail from several different computers at different locations. If I use an email client whatever is downloaded by that client is only on that computer (unless I go to every email address that forwards email to that client). Also, if I have an email client and my computer crashes I lose that email unless it's backed up which I don't like to mess with. I guess the same thing is for someone using the Opera browser and built in email client. Although I understand many people have different opinions on web mail vs. a central email client, I think web mail is more convenient.

25. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Other.
    Operamail which is handled by FastMail.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.