What is your anti-ransomware & data protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Windows_Security, Sep 23, 2016.

1. My anti-ransomeware / data protection is

My Desktop (Windows 10 Pro)
    1 Level 1: Quick backup disk (only business documents, no personal pictures/movies)
    a) only allowed to modify by Admin (Access Control List)
    b) disk is set read only using Secure Folders Free, only allowing Syncback Free to write
    c) Syncback runs elevated on demand (a couple a times per day)

My Wife's laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate)
    1. Level 1: Kapersky Anti-Ransomware for business free

2. Level 2: NAS weekly backup
    a) scheduled at Sunday night (starts at 01:00 ends at 06:00)
    b) internet (WAN) and Wifi (LAN) are shut down during NAS (in router)
    c) collects business documents from my desktop, pictures from wife's laptop
    d) cross saving data with syncback (laptop data on my desktop and vice versa)
    e) network is partitioned the rest of the week (so my desktop can't touch wife's laptop).

3 Level 3: Monthly USB syncback with NAS
    a) schedules at first Monday of the month (starts at 10:00 ends at 16:00), runs on wife's laptop
    b) USB-disk rotates (I have got two, one at home and one at another location)

I looked for a cloud service, but we have nearly two TB of pictures gathered from al our holidays (wife is amateur photographer, she shoots around 20-50 GB per holiday), it is just to expensive IMO when compared with data loss risk, althoug ransomware news (FUD) has me triggered. Strato costs 20 euro per month for 2 TB, but next holiday we will pass 2 TB data, so it would cost 50 euro per month. So I think I will be using my half baked solution for some time. The cost of a decent router+NAS+2*USB-disk is one year cloud backup, so convienance loses from costs

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
  2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Windows 7 x64

Daily system image backup using Macrium (once a week full image is created then incremental each day of week).
    Frequently changing data is daily copied to other disk using batch file and scheduler (data from SSD is copied to HDD and vice versa).
    Once a week I copy my data and system image files to external HDD. I have 2 drives and rotate them each week.
    I use Sandboxie to restrict Firefox from accessing my personal data.

I use no online backup at the moment.

3. My take: a proper data backup/recovery feature should be part of any (security) setup

4. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

1. Leave no Personal files inside my PCs.

2. Use Macrium Reflect > External Drives.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

My middle finger first. I never keep any sensitive data on my computers. Five external USB drives are my data bank using Macrium and plain data storage . Last but not least my layered defense... No chance here...

6. PaleDark

PaleDark Registered Member

I don't use back-up/recovery function.

Instead I store duplicate stuff* on all my 4 laptops + 2 clouds.

*Stuff referring to photos only.

7. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

AV Protection: Windows Defender
    Virtualization: Shadow Defender (In my system HD and my internal backup HD)
    To block ransonware execution (Firefox/Chrome): Sandboxie
    Data protection: Cloud + 2 offlines HDs.

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I protect my most important data with Sandboxie and SpyShelter. I would also like to use specialized anti-ransomware tools like HMPA and MBARW, but because of certain reasons I have chosen not to do so, at least not yet.

9. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

10. PEllis

PEllis Guest

I back up my files, keep my AV and OS up to date. That's it.

11. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Sounds like an SRP - according to the product description:

The function of ANTI RANSOM
    After activating ANTI RANSOM, settings are made in the registry via standardized Microsoft functions. All file executions on the PC, which are not based on regularly installed programs, are then prevented. However, according to a security question, ANTI RANSOM offers the possibility to start alternative programs or to permanently open them for execution. Since in the case of Ransomware the actual malicious software is temporarily loaded in most cases, the execution can thus be prevented and a damage avoided.

Basically, it sets permissions in the Windows registry so ransomware can't run with rights on the PC. For legitimate programs, AR can be temporarily unlocked to allow installation/upgrade of legitimate software to take place. This is how ransomware infection is prevented.

12. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

A multi layer security and a system image. If a ransomware passed my defenses it would be a test ( negative ! ) for them, and not a real loss for me: ransomware removal with some tool, format ( better go too far :D ) and system image restore.

13. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

If you keep your PC locked down, its not a worry. Still best protection are safe computing practice and regular backups because no anti-ransomware software can guarantee 100% protection.

Best weapon against malware is still the human mind. :D

14. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Sure. Regular security updates, backups and similar were implied. And in private computing - not work, not business - this can be an opportunity to test the defenses in the wild. :D

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No specific anti ransomware software. I use:

EIS,Appguard,ERP,SBIE and excubits drivers. Pumpernickel to protect other drives, MZwritescanner as a first line of defense. I also take hourly Macrium Reflect images. I've tested this approach against real malware. So far nothing has gotten through

16. B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/ Registered Member

I use mainly Comodo IS and CryptoPrevent (for passive protection + more rules in SPR created by me).
    I added Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware for Business v2 just in case because KSN is a lot better than the cloud in CIS (I disabled it for security purposes).
    Also I have a system image on an external Adata HD710 with Macrium Reflect v6 (still no v7 free after so many months)...
    OS and all installed programs are fully updated and tweaked of course.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same

Ransom0ff HeiDef Defense for Anti-Ransomwares + L0cked avenues of entry to easy peasy drop locales. Hello Secure Folders too

18. guest

guest Guest

my sensitive datas?

Encrypted via GPG then uploaded to the cloud and copied to external HDD.

nothing extravagant.

19. illumination

illumination Guest

I do not store anything on my system. I keep everything on external devices and access when needed.

I also run Appguard with "Hardened Policies" in combination with Eset which is not at default settings as well.

20. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Internet computer running linux live CD no hard drive installed in the machine.
    Main computers airgapped from internet on hardwire LAN:
    1) windows XP clean install no updates no AV no WiFi no Bluetooth
    2) Linux no AV no WiFi no Bluetooth.
    Private data held on external encrypted devices and backed up to dvd.

21. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

No HMPA?

22. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Doesn't RansomOff Folder Protection negate the need for Secure Folders?

23. Peter2150

You are right I forgot to mention. Mainly because, I don't consider the anti ransomware function all that important. In testing against the latest ransomware samples I can find the preventive measures in HMPA are much more effective and the ransomware never gets to tickle that module. It does work, but the other features shut it down first.

Good catch Paul

24. itman

itman Registered Member

Since Eset now also has a product called Internet Security, perhaps we should adopt the following acronyms; EMIS - Emsisoft and ESIS - Eset?

25. Peter2150

I have been EIS for too many years. My brain might remember but my fingers which do the typing won't. How about just EIS/EAM and what ever pleases you for Eset

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.