What is xml thing on my USB memory stick?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

and more importantly, why?

Attached Files:

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

im not sure (since i dont have a usb key) but maybe it for the comp/OS to recognize it and have info about it?

3. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Okay Brad, I see something, but it looks shady to me. In this explanation I downloaded the beta version of Windows Media Player 10 (Which is very unlikely) and it created something they call "Partnership Information" (can you be a partner without your prior knowledge?).

Since I have a lot of privacy software, I assume things like this will be deleted as a matter of course. Now I finally understand the diabolical cleverness of the media player identification number. By placing it on a portable device, chances are the volume will not be attached and scanned by anti-spying software. At any rate, I would guess that there is no infomation on the file other than the ID (which is still too much).

1. I suppose I should search my computer as well

2. If anyone is interested the "Partnership information" is easily removed. At least as far as we know...

So Long, Partner!
    - HandsOff

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    do like this to delete:

Upgrading from Windows Media Player 10 Technical Beta
    If you upgrade Windows Media Player 10 Technical Beta to Windows Media Player 10, you may experience problems when synchronizing content to a mass storage class portable device. Synchronization may fail or you may not be able to play the synchronized files on the device.

You will need to delete the partnership information that was established between the Technical Beta version of Windows Media Player 10 and your device before using the Sync feature in Windows Media Player 10. You can remove the partnership information either by formatting the device (which removes all data from the device) or by deleting the file on the device that the Technical Beta version of Windows Media Player 10 used to track the partnership.

To format the device, do the following:
    In My Computer, in the Devices with Removable Storage area, right-click the device, and then click Format.

To remove the partnership information file, do the following:
    In My Computer, in the Devices with Removable Storage area, right-click the device, and then click Open.
    Delete the file named WMPInfo.xml from the device.

Note

You can tell a device is a mass storage class device if Windows XP assigns a drive letter to the device when you connect it to your computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.