What is wrong with Avast?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aigle, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tawd1992

tawd1992 Registered Member

I've installed Avast on dozens of different pc's & I can't remember Security Center ever recognizing it on any of them. Granted I'm usually uninstalling Norton & then installing Avast so maybe this has something to do with it. Maybe if you install Avast on a clean install of WinXP Security Center would work fine. I've installed AVG on 4 or 5 different pc's in the last week or so & not once did Security Center not recognize AVG. I agree that Security Center can be quirky but come on, Avast can do better than this.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Norton is your problem there.. If I am not mistaken, Norton actually turns off Security Center, and probably doesn't turn it back on when you remove it. At the Start menu Run prompt, type "services.msc" and hit Enter, and look for the Security Center service. I would be willing to bet it's status in properties is "Disabled" (right click on the service and select Properties, then take a look). Just set it back to "Automatic" and reboot, then you'll be fine...

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

You may have to reset WMI. I have Vista but I think this procedure works in both Vista and XP:

Open Accessories>Command Prompt (btw, for Vista users you will have to right click on this and "Run as Administrator")

In the command window type these commands

cd \windows\system32\wbem
    net stop winmgmt
    rename Repository Repository.old
    net start winmgmt

Then open up Security Center. It should inform you that the service is disabled and ask you if you want to enable it. After you click yes, then it will rebuild it's database (creating a new Repository) and hopefully it will see AVG.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I finally got tired of doing what Midway suggested and disabled Security Center. I went from NIS 2006 to Avast and a couple other firewalls and had to reset SC every time. I don't need it anyways.

5. tawd1992

Security Center is running because it's telling me that there is no anti-virus installed.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, then I'd give a try to the procedure that Midway posted above...

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I just had to rebuild the repository on my Vista OS notebook. The problems with security center not recognizing an AV, AS or firewall, or not clearing the data when one is removed are so frequent that Microsoft should put a rebuild button in the security center.

8. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Apparently just too high detection rates for free! :rolleyes:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I concur. I only remember having to reset the WMI in XP only once but I have had to do it in Vista several times. The cause is either a buggy new Security Center or software writers still not knowing how to design their software for Vista.

10. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

On this pc running xp, I reset WMI only twice. Once after Norton and once after Comode. I still have Security Center on because for Windows firewall.

11. DannieSoft

DannieSoft Registered Member

yea, you know anti-keylogger protects your system from the most dangerous problems like system monitoring, text capturing,password stealing etc. That's why I can call it anti-spyware.

12. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

I have installed Avast on several computers over the years and am currently running it on four of mine and there has never been an issue with it being recognized by Security Center.

Why is the registration annoying; you only need to do it once a year. Even if you purchase an AV you still have to renew it; usually once a year.

Attached Files:

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Registering once a year, which takes all of about 5 seconds, is an extremely small price to pay for a good piece of software...

14. tawd1992

Because I'm usually installing this on someone else's pc that may be computer illiterate & may not know how to register Avast when it expires. I know the program is free & it is a good a/v program, so I hate to complain about it. These are just minor annoyances, but AVG doesn't have these issues so I like that better now. Either one is a good choice.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  15. tawd1992

I've had to wait 5-10 minutes before I received an e-mail from Avast. It seems faster lately, but this is another step that you don't need to do with AVG. Like I said, either program is a good a/v solution & I'm more than grateful that they're both free.

16. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

Well you could walk the person through the registration process and let them do the steps themselves while you look on and answer any questions they may have. In less than 10 minutes you will have taught them how to do it and when it comes time for re-registering they will know how to handle it and will be a little less computer illiterate.

...or you could just stick with AVG.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, i have to agree. Registration process is indeed a small price to pay for such program, but i know quiet some people that don't even know how to do that.
    Installing avast! for such is quiet useless unless you can always check the PC if it's up to date and has avast! properly registered.

Auto-renewal would certanly be a good idea here. It's free anyway so i don't know who would complain about it.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t know why they made it like this. AVG way is better. None of the people understands it easily and u need internet that most of the times time I don,t have to explain it.

19. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

What's so hard to understand?
    I re-registered a couple of months ago. Had forgotten the procedure, of course, the help file talked me through it no trouble.(There are other ways to find the info, too.) Took all of 2 minutes.
    If the folk you're helping are that cranially challenged, maybe an AV won't make that much difference anyway.
    Maybe you could make a folder with a few "how to" text files in it, put it in a flash drive, put it on people's desktops for them.

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its free, so stop moaning.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Tarq! I think u did not understand me. For me this execise is like taking a cup of tea or coffee. But I am talking of the people who don,t understand any popups even from an AV. Mnay of them never used PC except few hours a month or even a year.
    They prefer a pirated copy installed by someone instead of doing a minimal exercise. I try to spread free legit software and it,s hard to do so.
    I am not sure why you have not encountered such people.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, stopped.

I am seriously thinking to try to put AVG free with BOClean( to cover PUP detection missed by AVG free) in future, for anyone who asks me to install an AV.
    But I ned to try AVG myself first, not sure if its updates are small like Avast!
    Is AVG as much trouble free as Avast( for dummies)? Any ideas?

23. btman

btman Registered Member

Just get AVG Free and AVG AS Free. Top notch detection there.

24. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I'm sure I have, but we probably don't have computers as a common point of interest. Most of my friends or colleagues have OEM computers, like Dells, with Norton pre-installed. Most seem not to care about the possibility of malware, unless something breaks.

I have no recent experience of AVG, but believe it's pretty much trouble free, small (incremental) updates, and from what I read, as "set and forget" as any.

[Edit] (x/posted with btman) I think Boclean would probably be pretty easy for a non-involved user to get to grips with. AVG AS is also well respected, but needs the user to remember to run a scan from time to time, and if anything is found, to take the appropriate action. Boclean will only alert if a trojan starts to run, and it's a simple kill/ignore pop up.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

AVG is pretty much trouble free also, updates are fast and easy, and small also. Should be no trouble there. Only issue is if detection is good enough...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.