What is the use of this option "Rescan Quarantined Files"?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by stimulator32, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stimulator32

stimulator32 Registered Member

Hello,

30-11-2009 1-31-28 PM.jpg

Although I quarantined an undetected file, and after I updated the av, the reason of quarantining the file still "added by user" and didn't convert to the new detection name!!

30-11-2009 1-32-01 PM.jpg

So, what is the use of this option "Rescan Quarantined Files"?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you submit that file, assuming it is malware, to Eset so that is included in detection?

3. stimulator32

30-11-2009 1-59-04 PM.jpg

The file now is detected .. but it wasn't detected when it was quarantined ..

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  4. stimulator32

ESET's Moderators ..

Is it out of question to answer my enquiry?

The Option Is In Your Program .. And it is shame on you to disregard an ESET customer's questions!!

I want to tell you that your technical support is a rock-bottom one.

Bad dealing !!

5. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

What's actually the problem?

You've manually added a file to the quarantine, so it's now in quarantine. Later definitions detect the file.

So what? What's the problem here?

Jim

6. Sunshine803

Sunshine803 Registered Member

The OP question refers to the rescan option...

My guess for the existence of the Quarantine rescan option is:

After the signature update, an item which is kept in the quarantine may be proven to be 'innocent', therefore it can be restored to its original location. Why was it put in the Q in the first place? Maybe a false positive, or a suspicion by the user awaiting for new signatures or updates...

7. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

I'm still not sure what the OP is asking though, since to me the description is patently obvious - do you want to rescan quarantined files after an update. Simple as that.

So let's say a file gets quarantined, either manually or automatically. A subsequent definition might flag that as a false positive.

Or am I missing something?

Jim

8. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

Or it might have been detected as a Possible Variant of VirusX and quarantined. Then after an update the definitions are updated so it changes to Win32.PSW.VirusX.GAR (or whatever) confirming what the virus is.

Perhaps stimulator32 doesn't know new malware doesn't get added to detections immediately and they might take a bit of time.

9. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

One would assume this option is available to the end that quarantined files can be rescanned with new definition file updates, if they are deemed harmless, they can be safely removed and restored.
    If the quarantined files prove to be false positives submit them to ESET for analysis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.