What is the risk of letting someone log into my computer over the net

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by kevincc4, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevincc4

kevincc4 Registered Member

I just installed a new softwre & I was asking for help from their support department.

They couldn't resolve my problem while helping me over the phone.

So the guy said that he needs to log into my computer in order to see what is going on the software & help that way.

I have never done this giving an access to my computer because I thought that would be like writing a blank check.

(1) What is risk in letting someone log into your compuer. Can he steal any information from my hard drive ?

(2) How can I protect my personal information like credit card number etc.

(3) Do I need to install any kind of software for this kind of support or help ?

(4) How do I restrict him from accessing any other partition or information besides the OS patition where I have inmstalled their software ?

(5) What kind of information do I need to give him to access my computer ?

Thanks

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well ive had PrevxHelp and Erik from Hitman Pro both have a remote session on my PC with no issues, if its a reputable company then u shuld have no problems since u can see everything they are doing as well.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I agree, if you are asking for help through a support structure, it should be pretty safe. Once you are done, you can disable any access to your computer.

Attached Files:

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

my windows remote admin is already disabled, software vendors typically send u their own remote software that doesnt need to be installed, just run.

5. kevincc4

kevincc4 Registered Member

They had their own " Remote support software" built right into the main software and all I had to do was to run it & it came up with a number which I gave them & I was instantly connected to them.

Then the question is whether they can extract any files or information from my PC since it is their software that I am using continuously which is connected to their servers even after the Remote help is over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.