What is the resource impact of PG?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Resourceimpact, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will it slow down a system? How much ram does it use? How much CPU?

Thanks

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Resourceimpact, CPU utilisation is very low - less than 19 seconds CPU time after 36 hours running here ATM according to Process Explorer :)
    Memory usage as shown in Task Manager on this PC (3 modules):
    DCSuserprot = 908K
    PGaccount = 1712K
    ProcessGuard GUI = 7,020K This does not need to be running for the protection to work.

HTH Pilli

3. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

If you set it up to prompt you for most things then I find that it is quite resource intensive on the left mouse button :)

I've probably added a good few left mouse clicks and a bit more mouse movement to my day's tally as a result

For example (it wasn't easy to find days with similar amounts of time when I had done similar things) :
    3-Dec-04 10h01m on computer ; Mouse usage: 6h08m 5,465 clicks 3,592 Kpixels move distance
    and prior to PG
    20-Jan-04 10h14m on computer ; Mouse usage: 5h27m 5,128 clicks 2,700 Kpixels move distance

In terms of benefits for the effort of a few mouse clicks and some spare CPU cycles you can't go past it as part of a security solution on your PC.

Once the competitors play catch up things might be different but for now its the best of breed by at least a bit, it still has its flaws like all things (IMO)

4. war59312

war59312 Registered Member

Well only problem I have is that my system takes an extra two mins to loaded. That is procguard.exe takes like two mins to stop using the processor at 100% after boot up.

Guess its because of how many app configs it has to load. 101 atm.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I doubt it is ProcessGuard that is causiing your slow start up, more like an ap that wants to either start or do something and maybe ProcessGuard is blocking that process and slowing it down but I doubt very much that it is PG itself. Check your PG alerts and startup programs, try disabling each start up ap one at a time until your boot up is normal.

Pilli

6. war59312

Hey,

Its ProcessGuard 100%. When I turn off ProcessGuard off start my system is completed booted in less than 30secs.

Then I enabled ProcessGuard and it takes 2min 30secs to complete boot.

Also, I have turned off everything at boot up besides ProcessGuard and it still does it.

Also, if I open the ProcessGuard window it says detecting settings. And then the sec. it stops saying detecting settings then my computer is completly booted.

Well just download ProcessGuard 3.150 and will see what happens. Was runing 3.0 with this problem. So hopefully no problem. I did a complete new install not an upgrade.

Guess we shall see.

cya,
    Will

Update: Problem fixed in new version. :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi will, Version 3.00 did cause a problem on some machines, hopefully the latest build will cure your start up time.

Please let us know if you have any more problems. :D

Thanks. Pilli

8. war59312

Yeap its completely fixed.

Thanks a lot,
    Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.