What is the most secure Cloud storage?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tancrackers, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tancrackers

tancrackers Registered Member

Google drive, dropbox, icloud, skydrive, ubuntu one, boxnet, etc.
    I'm currently using dropbox, but I am a little worried about its security issues. Any recommendations?

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

The most secure cloud storage is the one you don't use... I wouldn't put my data in/on anyone else's servers....

3. tancrackers

I only put school schedules and calendars on my cloud. I have nothing crucial and personal on it.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Best cloud service is a external device not connected to the internet.:D

5. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

I encrypt my important files locally and only after that, I put them in a cloud storage. I trust Microsoft SkyDrive, but I wouldn't store unencrypted important files there or in any location for that matter (offline or online).

To encrypt files I use 7-Zip as it supports AES 256. Another good option is TrueCrypt which has various methods.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  6. TheWindBringeth

TheWindBringeth Registered Member

Given that you are expressing concern about the security of your files, I too would encourage you to seriously explore all other approaches before considering online storage. However, lets assume that in your scenario it is necessary/appropriate to go that route.

Apart from wanting something "secure", you haven't said what functionality you need. Will you be the only one accessing these files? Will others need read access? Write access? Do you need a private and public area? How do you want these files to be accessed? Manual HTTPS uploads/downloads, drag/drop to a Windows 8 desktop folder, an app for a certain platform, what? Do you need automatic syncing capability across multiple devices? Could you use your own local encryption/decryption mechanism in order to reduce the possibility that the online storage provider and others could decrypt your files? I think fleshing out such things would help bound your options.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Skydrive with backup files encrypted using 7-Zip. ;)

8. tancrackers

Sorry about the delay.
    I dual-boot Windows 8 and Arch Linux.
    I use dropbox atm as something to access my school schedule, calendar, and other little things on my phone.
    I need to be able to access cloud from Windows, Arch L, and android.
    I occasionally share a file or folder using a url with a friend.
    Also, I like the dropbox option to backup my camera-taken pictures in case my phone gets lost or breaks.

9. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Not a recommendation, but both Wuala and SpiderOak have client-side encryption.

10. moontan

moontan Registered Member

last time a tried Spider Oak, which was about 4 months ago, the client was buggy in BOTH Windows and Linux.

Wuala requires Java if i remember correctly.
    so it's a no-go for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.