What is the MAIN Reason You Use Windows Instead of Linux

Discussion in 'polls' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 20, 2013.

?

What is the MAIN Reason You Use Windows Instead of Linux

1. Too difficult to use/understand, don't want to learn a new OS

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  2. Doesn't support the latest hardware well enough

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Won't work on my current hardware

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. Doesn't support software I need to use

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  5. Doesn't support video games well enough

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  6. Too buggy/unstable compared to Windows

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  7. Linux community is too diverse/has too many distros/needs focus

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  8. Open source software is not good enough

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Title says it all. What is the main reason you continue to use Windows instead of Linux. Mine is game support. I like the latest AAA titles and they are not supported by Linux.

2. burebista

burebista Registered Member

Games and habit I guess.
    I'm a Windows user since 3.1.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I guess it's won't work on my current hardware, but that's only for a few non-essential components... Maybe if I view Linux as far better than Windows, but currently there's not that much difference. Of course habit comes into play as well.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Should've been multiple choice poll. I would voted for at least half of the options.

5. VectorFool

VectorFool Registered Member

Doesn't support a majority of the video games and other commercial programs
    most of the games available on linux are older and much smaller in number.

6. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

because the PC I use it's not mine but given to me by my employer.

7. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

There is no MAIN reason for me, it's a lot of small reasons that add up, most of your poll choices + some more.

8. woomera

woomera Registered Member

very limited software support.
    requires programming skills.
    doesnt have easy to use extension/mechanism to save and install apps like EXE in windows.
    hardware drivers are hard to find and many hardwares are not even supported.worst thing about driver crisis on linux is the fact that nVidia and ATI dont release up-to-date and as functional as windows drivers for linux.

basically linux is that 1 kid on the block who doesnt wanna play as a team so he/she ends up alone.

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Very limited commercial software support, for those who can't learn alternatives.
    Outdated, and false for desktop Linux.
    Guess you've never heard of repositories, app stores, DEB, RPM, etc.
    Only valid point, but still overblown. You'd only find serious problems with exotic hardware and the latest moneymaker that needs Windows support first.

LOL, wrong analogy. Windows is the rich kid everyone follows, for money. Linux is a team by itself, but stuck in the minor league for desktops. They're dominating in other sports like servers and mobile.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

No extra time to spend in learning linux and taking the hassle of making it work. Windows works and that's what matters to me.:)

11. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I didn't vote. I have no doubt that Linux is a very good OS these days. Although that's something I could not say years ago when I first tried Linux - it was a terrible then in my opinion.

I currently only use Windows as some software I use e.g. DJ software will only run under Windows. Also by continually using Windows and installing and uninstalling software and fixing any problems which arise myself increases my knowledge of fixing Windows problems which is a big help when I fix computer problems for others.

I am not interested in running Linux alongside Windows as dual boot setup as I prefer to reboot absolutely as little as possible, so switching between Windows and Linux would be a hassle for me.

However I may consider installing Linux on a secondary laptop.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  12. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Last option is odd as open source is not specific to Linux.

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Mention Linux to an average computer computer, and most have no idea what you're talking about. They know of Windows, and probably OS-X, the Mac operating system.

14. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I'm exploring various Linux distros only for an alternative should XP become unsupported to the degree that most software will no longer run on it.

I don't want to learn a new OS but will as opposed to running Vista, W-7, or W-8. I own Vista Ultimate and refuse to purchase another operating system that I don't like.
    Mac represents an even worse option in that entails the expense of new hardware and software.
    To be sure, Linux has it's drawbacks but at least those come without the additional grief of buying them.

15. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Ditto that.

16. imdb

imdb Registered Member

just because i loathe apple. so i feel the need to support ms w/ my $ bills :p

17. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

" Too difficult to use/understand, don't want to learn a new OS ". Actually, I used Linux, Ubuntu or Mint, as second OS, and I will use it again. Many distro, as these, are not difficult for a common use. But there are many other operations that are not so easy and you had to study for them. The same to configure deeply a firewall or an IDS.

18. tgell

tgell Registered Member

I use tax software that I prefer installed instead of filing online and linux does not support any that I know of. Also, the distros I have tried do not work well on my old hardware except Puppy.

19. guest

guest Guest

No multiple choice poll? >=V

The games installed in my computer are Windows exclusive, the programs I daily use are also Windows exclusive (except some). Wine won't emulate them properly, and I'm not interested to spend my time to look for half-faced alternatives while the ones I'm currently using work perfectly. And call me crazy, but I prefer walled garden.

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

The main reason why I still use Windows is that I haven't bought a Mac yet :)

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I voted "too many distros... etc" but wanted to hit a few other options. I think the reason why I don't go linux is that every time I do, it feels like I'm compromising. I think Win is just more polished overall, and obviously more familiar, although I know linux pretty well too after all these years. In a nutshell, I wish someone would focus on just one or two distros and put a lot of money into development and quality control, just like the Mac and Win has had. If that were done, I'm sure linux market share would skyrocket compared to what it is now.

22. guest

guest Guest

Yeah, Linux has too many distros out there. They need some sort of flagship distros. People just don't know where to start when they wanted to try Linux. o_O

23. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I use Linux. I have recently switched from Windows. There are few things to consider:
    - no worries about viruses because yeah you gonna be the only kid on the block
    - steam for gaming or get PS3 for $199
    - open source feels much better on linux than windows
    - I run windows xp on virtual machine for the odd software that doesn't run on linux

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  24. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Hey everyone. The reason I didn't allow multiple-choice is because almost all of these would apply to most of you, so I just wanted to find the main one.

25. guest

guest Guest

I'm using Windows and I'm not worried about viruses. Not every games come from Steam, and some games don't have the console version. And the third one in your list doesn't make any sense at all. o_O

But Brandonn, we have multiple main reasons. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.