What is the difference and better choice?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by diabloNL, Nov 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diabloNL

diabloNL Registered Member

What is the difference between the Windows VSS and Paragon's "hot processing"? Is there also a better choice? I used Acronis before and never had to think about this. :p

2. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

We recommend using VSS, but if it was not working due to conflicts with other programs PHP is the alternative.

VSS does a better job when it comes to multiple partitions. A snapshot of all your partitions are taken simultaneously, whereas with PHP, each partition is snapped one after another. This is only a concern if you need all your partition synchronized.

Programs like Paragon Drive Copy can only use Paragon Hot Progressing.

3. diabloNL

Thanks Tommy. So the VSS hot processing makes sure that locked files like system files are able to be backed up, correct? So if PDB finds a locked file he orders the VSS module to make a shadow copy so he can back it up?

Sorry for all my questions but I like to know what I'm using/doing. I really appreciate all the help I'm getting here!:cool:

4. Paragon_Tommy

It's more like freezing your partition in place, so during the backup, if your files are being modified, it doesn't get added to the backup. We recommend VSS before PHP.

VSS:

Snapshot begins, if a backup takes 2 hours, during those two hours, if any new files or new data are written to the partition, it is excluded from the backup image. The advantage of VSS shines when there are multiple partitions. It takes a snapshot all across the board. All partitions are backed up from the same instance.

PHP:

Unlike VSS, it can only take a snapshot of one partition at a time. So if your backup job consist of 2 partitions, and it takes 2 hours to backup the first partition, the partitions will be 2 hours apart. This is of concern when it comes to database that needs everything synchronized across all your partitions.

5. diabloNL

So if I would receive an email during a backup it will not be included even if PDB didn't backup that part of the drive?

6. Paragon_Tommy

If you received it after the backup started, then no, it will not be included.

7. diabloNL

Ok, that's clear, thanks for all the info! One small question out of curiousity: how do the make a snapshot. Do they just copy the MFT?

8. Paragon_Tommy

9. diabloNL

Thanks Tommy I will take a look at those links!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.