what is the best pc

Discussion in 'polls' started by Rita, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi everyone
    i am thinking of purchasing a new pc.i have 2 that were given to me--their pretty old,both have windows me and one is an hp and the other is an ibm one has 64 ram--the other 128.i think i need more ram and prob need to go to win xp--what do you all believe is best pc for the money?

thanks
    Rita :doubt:

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Hi Rita,

What are you going to do with a new machine? I think thats pretty important to know. Video editing, games, office applicationso_O
    Regards,

Gerard

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Gerad
    i play games do email,and just play around with the computer--dont really do anything important--really am just learning a little about them lol
    Rita :)

4. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Please consider that someone's recommendations for "the best PC" will influenced by far more than the hardware. Likely everyone will relate their comments to their experience with the vendor in terms of service and value too. Also, remember that nearly all the components in PC's (be they in a Dell, HP, or Gateway, for instance) are supplied by a multitude of other companies and vary from model to model (and sometimes vary by unit).

If you want to really learn a lot, perhaps consider building you own. There are *many* sites that offer advice on the steps involved and even recommend which components to buy, based on what type of machine you want.

Or, if you want to purchase from one of the lesser known vendors, you might want to consult ResellerRatings to view detailed feedback from lots of customers.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

My vote is a custom - whether you peice it together or have it done at a shop, you get a new pc with exactly the parts you want and without the hard drive/s being half full of advertising and cheap-o software.

When I had mine done, it was so nice plugging in and starting up without a million programs trying to access the internet and a cheap AV fighting my efforts to remove it... no "TRY AOL" shortcuts amongst the others...

My newest PCs are IBMs for my wife and kid - They're really great and nicely priced but also had a lot of garbage for me to remove before they were useful.

IBM does make nice PCs - but I'm editing to add that my sister is an IBM accountant so of course I may be a bit biased here ;) Still, custom is the way to go.

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

7. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I second that! Custom is best if you don't mind making a project out of it and don't need the near-instant gratification. I bought my mom a refurbished HP because I didn't have the time to build her one, and it's a great machine - but boy was it loaded with cr@p that took me a long time to remove.

8. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Indeed snowbound--we should all have one of those i am going to check out your link right now
    thanks Rita

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

kinda high priced huh?wish i could afford one
    Rita

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Rita

Do you know anyone who can build your computer?

I wouldn't buy a "big name" computer. They own you when you do that.

Second hand computers are out there too that are good values.

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

12. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

Hi ron
    do you think a second hand one would be a good buy?i have found alot of those online and also reconditioned ones on overstock.com i didnt know if that would be a good idea or not but maybe ill look into one of those and of course walmart has them cheap (new ones)custom built would be a great idea but i dont even have an idea about that knowing as little about them as i do.wish i could afford one of those virus free ones lol
    Rita

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hi Rita

Wal Mart does offer some inexpensive computers. You would have a good warranty with them also.

14. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally like HP. I buy a high performance computer then install my custom version of xp pro and it screams. really works well and I can't hardly build a custom box for what I can get this for and I get a good warranty.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Bigc

Is the motherboard modified for HP or is it off the shelf?

16. bigc73542

This is what it is, with a few minor mods.

Board: Intel Corporation NBGV - Northwood/Brookdale-G Validation Board

17. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

i like my old hp too it seriously needs upgraded or tossed out one--it has 64 ram but it was a good computer--it survived me lol--never had to be taken to shop even-- like the ibm.im rough on them :D
    rita

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Doing a little repair work eh?

Attached Files:

19. bigc73542

When I had my computer repair shop that is one thing I discovered that HP computers are very dependable. Usually the repairs of hp's that I did were software related or just upgrades, hardly ever was there a hardware problem. I am not suggesting that HP is the best computer there is but it is a very good one.

20. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hey ron
    wish i was a computer repairer--id love to be able to work on them--lol-thats really funny-first thing i need to learn how to run one lol :D
    rita

21. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I really like my Dell. :D

I know there is a lot of people here who don't like Dell, but i've had it for 2 years with virtually no problems(except for the ones i created myself)

They're quite pricey up here in Canada but by the looks of the ads i see in the US, u can pick one up for a reasonable price. ;)

Just my 0.2....

snowbound

22. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

My vote as well.

23. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi
    yes Dells are real reasonable here.i saw an ad on tv you could get one for $499.00 and that included the monitor.ive always heard they were good computers
    Rita

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Rita,

When you decide what to do, check in here and tell us what you are looking to buy. Hard drive size, ram, etc.

25. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

i sure will :)
    Rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.