what is the best internet provider?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Rita, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi
    what are everyones opinion on this?
    Rita

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hi Rita

I hook up to the Internet through a pc users group. They have a contract with SBC to provide dsl service for those that want it. I want it! :D

There are many internet providers from which to choose.

A list.

http://www.thelist.com/

3. Kathyhl

Kathyhl Registered Member

Comcast has always been there the few times I've needed them, no matter what hour, and they have been very gracious. (Now this is the time I knock on wood).

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use pioneer internet. subsidary of pioneer telephone pioneer Since I have been with them they have not been down for two hours in the last three years. And they have an outstanding support system. [real people]

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've been with Golden Triangle since the start of my internet days, going on 7 years now. They're a regional independent (southern Ontario and Quebec) with top-notch service and reputation to match --95-plus percent of their new business comes from recommendations from satisfied customers and computer pros, so their advertising budget is virtually zilch.

Help-desk staff are excellent and 24/7, with rarely any waiting worth mentioning -- even if there's major system problems and everyone's calling in, 5 to 10 minutes wait is tops. And in a case like that, there's normally a system-status message included at the beginning of their menu, so as often as not you don't even need to speak to a "live" rep.

The best part is a sheer fluke of luck -- they're HQ'd right here in town, so if it's easier to discuss something face to face rather than over the phone, they're right downtown.

6. BackAgain

BackAgain Guest

I like Access4less, it's a low cost dialup service provider. If you only need basic dialup you can't beat it. Also good as a backup ISP or if you travel the country (USA) alot. Only $4.95 a month (month to month payments) thru this link http://access4less.net/indexgo.htm Plus a one time setup fee of $8. Unlimited internet access throughout the USA. Consistent dialup speeds of 46-48k (or higher). I know some who claim 49-50k, no matter what time of day. That's better than i got with AOL, at about $24. a month. I used to get 46-48k max with AOL dialup.

7. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello ritaann

You may wish to check here for information on Charleston, West Virginia ISP's. You can also enter your postal zip code to obtain information in another area.

Be seeing you

8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

My favourite local broadband ISP is Starhub. Their service has been operating at least 98% properly all the time. On some occasions, there are usually some internet attacks across the network. But, the broadband network is still stable and ok.
    Starhub also gave me some free gifts as part of their customer loyalty program. The free gifts include a television, and 1 DVD player.
    You can visit my ISP's website at www.starhub.com
    StarHub is a Singapore-based info-communications company providing a full range of information, communications and entertainment services over fixed, mobile and Internet platforms.

9. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi QSection
    thanks for the link
    Rita

10. blabhead

blabhead Registered Member

BackAgain do they make you download their software?
    do they time you out alot?

11. f123

f123 Guest

A4L supports DUN. Max connection time is 5 hours. But you can re-connect right away without problem. No problem with being kicked off if you use DUN.

F.

12. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

Not AT&T. :p

13. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

"Best" isn't as easy for me to judge as I'd like it to be. With Comcast as our service provider, the c-net meter usually "clocks" me at in excess of 4000 kbps, and outages in our area have been rare and brief.:D They are the only broadband provider we have access to, and I guess most would regard the service one of the best available.

coNcast made a huge push to get the customers changing from attbi to their domain to use their transition wizard. It had all the privacy-invading stuff they stated it would not have, and they changed their Terms of Use quietly around the same time as the transition. That made it so by using their connection, customers had agreed to terms they had no knowledge of yet, including not to participate in any class action suit against coNcast.:eek:

When I had most of their garbage out, I got a huge window with their logo and the message that I had no Internet connection and wouldn't, until I downloaded the t-wizard. I closed it by clicking the X in the corner, and the Internet was there, as always. It was a lie...a bluff to get me to [re]install their tgcmd.exe, etc.:(

I'm satisfied with their service but I detest the company for manipulating and lying to their customers, and a general policy of deceit. It was lousy of them to set up back door access to information from my computer (like my favourites/bookmarked sites list) that is none of their friggin' business AND they'd specifically stated they would not gather in advance of the fact. Several months ago, they ignored my email asking them to resolve the problems I have intermittently because they've got the domain on a spammer blacklist, so certain domains don't always "like" comcast correspondence.:mad: It's easier to use a free, web-based account for some things than to fight with them while they don't participate.

Every time I'm reminded of my own internet provider, the adrenalin level rises. I feel better now that I typed the above very fast! :cool:

14. blabhead

blabhead Registered Member

o.k. thanks for the info

15. BackAgain

BackAgain Guest

I'm glad you asked those questions Blabhead, they are important things to know, and thanks for answering them F123, i've been kinda busy.

I also wanted to let you know that i recommend using the DUN connection, as F123 said, rather than the software provided by A4L. I heard a lot of folks say the software sorta takes over your computer somewhat and is hard to remove. By using the DUN your safe from any problems with the A4L software.

Also here's a good site to check for ISPs http://www.freedomlist.com a lot of people have posted comments there about the various ISPs, including A4L.

16. Azn_Tweaker

Azn_Tweaker Registered Member

im using bell sympatico :D

17. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

This question is even more difficult than i.e: What is the best AV?
    I am satisfied with my ISP.
    Adsl down: 2.2 Mbit/s and up 416 Kbit/s
    24/7 acces
    Unlimited down-/upload quota
    5 e-mail adresses with each 5 aliases
    Fixed IP
    40 Mb webpage
    Standard spam filter (which I don't use)
    Optional AV filter
    Downtime last year 1 hour (planned maintenance)

Never had any trouble so far by now.

Paying € 49.95 monthly total (thats ISP + Phone co.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.