What is the best free Internet Speed Accelarator?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Sep 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I'm very interested if someone out there can share some of their experience w their internet speed accelerator they are using. What are you using? :rolleyes: :)

Many tnx. ;) :cool:

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

TCP Optimizer - http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Description: The TCP Optimizer is a free, easy Windows program that provides an intuitive interface for tuning and optimizing your Internet connection. Just download and run, there is no installaion required. The program makes it easy to find the best MTU and RWIN values, test latency and tweak all the important broadband related registry parameters. The Optimizer can be helpful with tuning any Internet connection type, from dialup to Gigabit+ :) If you need help with the program, check the TCP Optimizer documentation, read our broadband tweaking articles, the Optimizer FAQ, and/or visit our Forums. As an alternative, you can try one of our generic Registry patches instead.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i use the same one. i used to use the one included with System Mechanic but since i stopeed using SM, i gave TCP Optimizer a try.

4. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

I used those 2 too but just found fast Internet on the acelogix website. The same site for the ace utilities. Im currntly using the quick setup wizard and stratagy # 2 for broadband... Its the best and fastest I ever went.

www.acelogix.com fast Internet. free trial

5. sweater

I'm only in dial-up... is this also effective? o_O

Should I uninstall first my TZ Connection Booster before installing TCP Optimizer or its just okay to install both? :doubt: ;)

Tnx :-*

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

dialup is limited in the speed it can obtain. Accelerators are really not effective with it. Even with a 56k modem all you can achive is 53k which is the max allowable federal allocated speed for dial up. any faster and you run the possibility of data corruption.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

From the TCP Optimizer FAQ:
    Yes :)

8. sweater

:D I have already downloaded TCP Optimizer but was still confused w/c of the patches I should install.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  9. sweater

[ o_O :( Vampiric Crow

I was confused where the yes answer should be applied in the last question that you've give... :rolleyes: Is that mean yes to both question about the TZ Connection Booster? :doubt:

I also have a Firetune for Firefox internet optimizer.. is it okay to use it while using TCP Optimizer? o_O What's your set-up and personal experiences using this TCP Optimizer? :cool:

Many tnx. ;)

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Sorry, I forgot to say what should be...

I prefer to say yes to the first, because if you uninstall the TZ Connection Booster after install the TCP Optimizer, the TZ Connection Booster can revert something on your registry... And you want to change the program, why not uninstall it? ;)

They tweak different things...
    There shouldn't be any problem using both because the Firetune change the settings of Firefox, and the TCP Optimizer change the settings on the Windows Registry.

I'm satisfied with the TCP Optimizer because it change my settings for the best performance that I can have, didn't had a problem with it, and it's free ;)

11. sweater

:)

Vampiric Crow tnx for ur reply. I have already downloaded and installed the TCP Optimizer... but it looks like only advanced users can use it. Then I did not touch or change anything on that program but instead I downloaded and use the patches that said to change some registry settings. Is that meant that if I only "touch" the registry patches and then reboot then everything will be alright or will work after the reboot even if I didn't change any settings on the TCP Optimizer itself? o_O :(

Again, tnx :-*

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's very simple to use it:

1. select your bandwidth. In my case is 2Mb.
    2. select the Network Adapter.
    3. choose the Optimal settings
    4. Apply the changes and restart your system.

That's all ;)

Attached Files:

13. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

For some reason when i installed it, it slowed me down and is unable to ping for best MTU speed........i am on dialup 56 kbps ...

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

From the FAQ:

14. Is it possible for the Optimizer to cause problems ?

Yes. The TCP Optimizer is as safe as a program could be, however there is a very slim chance that someting might not work, or have a negative effect to your Internet connectivity.

You should backup your Registry settings before tweaking (in the Optimizer, navigate to the File pull-down menu and choose "backup current settings"), then use the recommended optimal values and/or read some of the recommendations on our site, and you will be safe. In the unlikely case you don't like the results after tweaking, you can always "restore backed up settings" from the File pull-down menu in the program.

Please understand that the TCP Optimizer is just a tool that enables you to tweak network related settings in the Windows Registry, and as such can have both positive and negative effects, depending on whether it's used as directed. We strongly recommend you learn what those settings mean, it will help you better understand how to get the most out of your Internet connection.

If you don't feel confident using the Optimizer, you can always try one of our Registry patches instead.

15. Hi sweater, I have used many many many programs of this kind but the better one for me is TWEAKDUN, and I use this parameters for broadband (I have dial up connection) and they work very fine:

MaxMTU :1492
    RWin: 32767
    TTL: 128

http://www.majorgeeks.com/TweakDUN_d497.html

It is free

16. Rainwalker

I am trying it zorro zorrito.......i don't see where to tweak MTU-Rwin-TTL :doubt:
    also have you tried it with Firefox........it can't seem to find bookmarks...

17. G-Force

G-Force Guest

This is looking more and more like a software thread all the time, but who am I to say? :D

GF

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

A Guest :eek:

19. Rainwalker

:D :D

20. Rainwalker

Got it up, running and tweaked.......your MTU seems a bit high...i dropped mine to 1200......how do i know for sure how high to go..........play around till packets fall apart ?
    Has anyone used this http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/feedback.html

21. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

biggest impact on speed is RWin (receiver window)

If you are having a problem with your speed, the key is to find out what your ISP's advertised up/down speed and then compare

if you are 90% or better of advertised you are doing well

if not your RWin value may need some tweaking

1) ck your Rwin value here: http://forums.speedguide.net:8117/

also note your mss cause your optimized Rwin will be a multiple of your mss

2) good tweak test here: http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

good line quality test here http://www.dslreports.com/testme

I used both TCP Optimizer & DRTCP to optimize my settings and am a happy camper @ about 4.75 sometimes up to 4.8 Mbps out of 5 without packet loss...

http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

Great analogy for RWin value:

RWin and Milkshake analogy from http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578

Default RWIN for broadband, is like having a tiny straw in a thick milk shake, only so much can get through the straw (line), so fast. By putting a larger straw (higher RWIN) in that same thick shake, you allow more shake (data) to come through faster, to a point that is. After which, there is no more improvement, and shake (data) can start spilling all over (packet loss). So the key is, to find an RWIN that fits your line just right.

Cablenut is another tweaker you might want to try... http://www.broadbandnuts.com/index.php?page=software

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=487478&postcount=38

22. sweater

Vampiric Crow... tnx. :cool:

I have already first downloaded and loaded the registry patches (3 of them) and rebooted... can I still have to follow the example settings you've presented...? It's only a general settings how about the other settings in that program? o_O

Can the registry patches takes care of the other settings of TCP Optimizer even if I didn't change those things? :-*

23. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

for the most part teh registry entires are an alternative to the tcp optimizer program. however tcp optimizer also has other features like a rwin calculator and a tool for calcualting mtu values. plus teh tcp optimizer lets u optimize ur internet setting for ur exact bandwidth not just generic values for dialup or broadband.

24. Rainwalker, start TWEAKDUN in advanced mode and there you will find the way to change all as I said before, it is no so high (1492), try it.
    About rosecitysoftware, I used before, it was one of the first I tryed, it was good but not free ( it has some application that´s called "du meter", and shows you the speed and in fact, TWEAKDUN shows the speed too), after all, I still think TWAKDUN is better, I have used it for 2 years.

25. Rainwalker

@zorro z thank you i will take your advice.

@peekaboo :cool: :cool: thank you very much...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.