What is the best firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by fatpizzaman, Jun 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Well, I (rather obviously) use old versions of NIS (3 and 4, to be specific). I've been running off Win 98 SE (for the gateway machie) with a slow CPU, limited RAM and an incredibly slow HDD -- all on a dial-up connection!, yet, none of what you reference has ever presented me with a problem.

2. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Very clever indeed !

thanks and regards,
    bill ;)

3. controler

controler Guest

Now days the sneaky ones are using IP addys in your same IP range
    and in that case you can't block a broad range can you? I am confused again.

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Okay, I'm confused, which isn't anything unusual. It's been mentioned that you shouldn't do a backtrace using your firewall backtrace feature from your machine. Then, someone mentioned that it's okay to use a feature like NeoTrace or Visualtrace, which could be on the machine. Wouldn't using either of these let the attacker know you're online.

I've been hit several times lately, from Korea and Mexico. I don't normally backtrace until I'm ready to go offline, then will check, find out where the hits originated, and go offline. I think I have a good and well set up firewall, but prefer not to tempt fate. Nothing is unbreakable.

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Running the backtrace directly from your machine would announce your presence, so to speak. It is important that users understand this before using these features.

The suggestion here being that it would be preferable to run these types of back traces from a web based server/utility.

6. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

CM,
    good point !!

bill ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.