what is rollback RX?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Knot2Brite, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knot2Brite

Knot2Brite Registered Member

hello,

To show my ignorance I must admit to having used rollback RX 8.1 for about 4 or 5 years and while it is saved my butt, several times, I am thinking of replacing it rather than upgrade.

But I do not know the technical name of this type of software in order to do a Google search. I would very much appreciate your answer as well has any recommendation for a similar type of program.

Thank you

Bob

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Rollback Rx is a snapshot program and there are not many of those around. There are a few but for the most part they are scavangers of Rxs code and are often based on older versions of Rxs code.

The good news is that there is a viable replacement that has almost all of Rxs good features, and none of the bad, its called AX64 Time Machine. If you look around this forum you will find a humongous thread on this application. No need to read the entire thing but if you have questions this would be a good place to ask them. Here is the link to the thread in question: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...hine-hybrid-imaging-snapshot-software.339999/

So how does AX64 compare to Rx? A very quick overview follows.

AX64 is a hybrid snapshot imaging program so it has the snapshot capability of Rx and its rapid revert features but it also images the protected drive. Unlike Rx, which keeps its snapshots on the drive it is protecting, AX64 stores them where you wish. The ideal place of course is to an external drive so that if the hard drive dies or becomes corrupted, you can still recover your installation. In cases like this Rx leaves you dead in the water. AX64 hot restores (from within Windows) are a bit slower than Rxs, typically between 2 and 5 min. Cold restores (from outside Windows) are similiar to normal imaging aps and will take apx as long to complete as most normal imaging apps. Best of all perhaps, is the fact that AX64 is not a Horizon Data Systems product so you are not reliant on HDS support, which in my experience as a user of Rx for some 4 or 5 years before I switched to AX64, is abysmal.

If you have been frequenting the Rx forum, and you now scan through the AX64 thread, you will see many names of folks who used to be Rx users but who have made the jump.

For more info including a more indeapth comparison between AX64 and Rx see the thread mentioned above as well as the following links.

Home page: http://www.ax64.com/

AX64 knowledge base: http://ax64.uservoice.com/knowledgebase

A fairly detailed comparison to Rx and similar products: http://ax64.uservoice.com/knowledge...parison-to-rollback-rx-eaz-fix-comodo-time-ma

An older but still relevant review (I am sure if you look you will find others but this is one I had bookmarked) can be found at http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/AX64-Time-Machine-Review-355541.shtml

I hope you find the above helpful.

Oh yes, one more thing and its an important one, AX64 is about as easy an app to learn to use, and to use, that you will ever come across. The developer designed with the complete noob in mind and he has done a fantastic job in this respect.

Very highly recommended in case you did not get this impression from the above.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

RB Rx is a system disaster waiting to happen (sooner or later it will)!!! AX64 blends the concepts of a snapshot program with those of an imaging program. It largely succeeds, but it still has annoying bugs (such as when attempting a hot restore).

5. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Yes, some systems do experience the occasional failed hot restore but lets not make it sound like its a very common problem. As I have noted previously elsewhere once it was determined that some security software needs to be turned off before doing a hot restore the bug as you put it largely disappeared. In my case I have had a 100% success rate since learning about this some 8 or 9 months ago,,,,,and I do a lot of restores.

The best advice I can give at this point is for prospective users to ask questions over on the AX64 forum and then, if what you hear sounds good, give AX64 a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.