What is RMC.exe??

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Avec, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avec

Avec Guest

Hi, i recently went microsoft update and was told to download this driver, but i have know idea what it does or is for? It runs in the task bar and as a service, it is located C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers (company MTC, langage Chinese, Jennifer,Taipei and is 23kb in size). I am very supicious of this strange thing, so any ideas on what this for would be a big help,

Thanks

Avec

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Avec,

Check out this webpage at MS: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.resources.resourcemanager.aspx

-- Tom

3. Avec

Avec Guest

Thanks for the link Lotuseclat, but im not sure what this has to do with This thing. In my add/remove programs it is called Remove control Device V 1.0.0.2 - and i have never had to install this driver/service ever on my system ,so i have disabled this.

Any ideas on whether i should remove this thing? I have scanned it and it seems safe, so not sure?

Avec

4. Avec

Avec Guest

Hi, I know this is most likely safe as it has come from Microsoft update, but it just sits in my tray and doesnt do anything? Has know one ever come across this service before? (RMC.exe)Remove control Device V 1.0.0.2, I have checked on liutilities, process library and iamnotageek but to know luck.

Thanks A

5. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Hi Avec,

A longshot I admit .... curious if you have a program called *busTRACE CD/DVD Capabilities Viewer* onboard, it came up when tossing around keyword's. The only reason I could attach this to that odd file of your's was it's file version and the website's statement describing how it "communicate's" (on 2000/XP), utilizing the SCSI Pass Through interface. Figuring if such an app was installed maybe gives way for updates to make the recommendation, who know's?

Another idea considering we're working with only one filename is to download ListDLLs from SysInternals
    and see what files it has loaded.

You might also check the registry for other clues that may relate, the subkey's below this entry if on XP ....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

GF

6. Avec

Avec Guest

hi,

Global Force

I think it has something to do with remote controls for conecting to Tvs etc, as MTC stands for Mitac technology corp but i have no way of knowing this? I did a google search, but am unable to find this device; Sorry -->Remote control device (not remove control device)located on my PCI Bus. I would really be glad of your advice again,

Avec

7. Avec

Avec Guest

8. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Hi again Avec,

I just noticed the reply, good to have you get back. Thought to myself .... "could he be right, Remove? or that a typo?"
    I've only had a brief chance to investigate so far, in the meantime would you mind checking for the below entry on your system. It's the only positive for your file so far.

C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead InstaMedia 1.0\RMC.exe

GF

9. Global Force

Global Force Guest

And Avec,

It would be helpful to know what system your on. ;)

GF

10. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Avec,

You using a desktop or notebook? If Ulead InstaMedia doesn't check out, maybe ADS Tech TV PVR or Titan TV EPG are listed instead .... all put out by I believe ADS Technologies. I caught reference of your query Mitac Tech on one of M$'s multi-media site's dubbed the same .... remote control devices, manufacturing some type of laptop TV "cardbus."

Check Device Manager if you can, see what turn's up.

GF

11. Avec

Avec Guest

HI

Global Force,

I really cant thank you enough for your help.

As you have probably seen I posted another thread about reinstalling my OS after a bad virus infection.

Im running a Xp home laptop with a Tv out connection>

The driver is dated 2005, In my Add Remove it is listed as Remove control device, but in my task bar it is Remote control device and it seems to be running in my task bar as a service. I thinking of e-mailing MTC as described about what it is for. I have done a online scan at Kaspersky and all seems to be clean> the reason I was concerned was that evrey time I did a scan with Unhackme I got a BSOD like another user on this site(maybe a bad driver?)!

I did check what you asked me but there was nothing listed in Program files or in my registry?

The strange thing is every time I try in unistall this thing it works ok, then when i try and unistall the driver, it installs all over again, which is driving me crazy>how do i get this off my system GF,

THANK YOU

Avec
    Avec

12. Global Force

Global Force Guest

Avec,

Computer's usually ship hardware specific, perhap's you could enlighten me as to the make and model, and address a few question's please.

You mention disabling the process, was this done from inside Administrative Tools/Services (here would be an image path to the executable)? Check the status of the driver by entering msinfo32 in your runbox > Soft Enviro > System Drivers and what type of *Start Mode* is listed for it (auto, boot, system, manual, or disabled). While still here look inside Components for any additional information pertaining to this device.

Tell me too please the error code for your blue screen in Event Viewer?

Sp1 or 2, and the driver name?

GF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.