What is paamsrv.exe ??

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by mark7, Jul 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

What is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\ProcessActivityMonitor\paamsrv.exe

It appeared in my firewall program list this morning and information on the internet suggests it may be a trojan ??

Apparently it loads at startup... curious as to why it only appears in firewall this morning.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mark7,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Internet Privacy and Antispyware Software.

This is a process launched by Acronis Privacy Expert Suite 8.0. There is a trojan with the same name. If it appears in your firewall it seems that Acronis Privacy Expert tried to check for updates. Please make sure you have disabled this option if you don't wish to use it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

I have PE pop-up blocker and spyware shield set to not load at startup and both are also set to disabled in options.

Where would I set PE to not check for updates (and by inference, not load paamsrv.exe at startup)? I don't seem to be able to find this option.

4. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

For now, I have disabled Process Activity Monitor Service (paamsrv.exe) in WinXP services. What might be the implications of doing this? It does not appear to interfere with my PE scheduled tasks or otherwise adversly affect PE operations, at least the way I am using PE.

I manually check for PE updates, so if disabling this service disables any auto update functionality, I'm OK with that. Is there any other impact to PE functionality?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mark7,

Please launch Acronis Privacy Expert Suite 8.0 and choose "Settings" -> "Web Updates". Choose "Update automatically" -> "Do not start automatically". This will ensure that you ave disabled automatic updates feature. We do not recommend that you disable paamsrv because we cannot guarantee that Acronis Privacy Expert will work properly with this service disabled.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. mark7

mark7 Registered Member

Thanks, Ilya. I appreciate the prompt response! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.