What is online banking protection ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by southcat, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southcat

southcat Registered Member

Greeting. This few days i am surfing the official website of Bitdefender, Webroot, Emsisoft, Kaspersky, Bullguard. Many of them specify the feature of online banking protection in their product.

Can anyone explain to me what is online banking protection o_O and my current setup(please see my signature) have it or not ? if no how to add in my current setup.

This is how i surfing internet:

I have three internet browser in my system which is:

1) Firefox w/o add-on

I use FF for online banking and check email only, i don't open the link within email at firefox.

2) Comodo Dragon - Bitdefender TrafficLight / WOT / Https Everywhere / Do Not Track Me

I use it to visit the routine website, like: Facebook, Wilders,...
    I added Norton Safe Web in my Facebook

3) Google Chrome - Bitdefender TrafficLight / WOT / Https Everywhere / Do Not Track Me

I use Google Chrome to surf new website and adventure :D

Thank you for concerns.
    Regards :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  2. fax

fax Registered Member

You look quite good for the known bad sites/malware but you may be very weak on the unknown (0/hour malware) that may still be able to install and grab your bank/commerce credentials. As infections nowadays happens mostly on perfectly legit web sites. I would add a jammer against keylogging and screengrabbing so that, if you are infected, no sensitive information will leave your system. This can be found free of charge (e.g. Trusteer Rapport) or paid (webroot security anywhere). Kaspersky will also do a solid job with their banking mode.

Isolation/sandboxing is also another solution but its less set and forget than the above. Cannot comment on the others as I have not tested them but I am sure that many other solutions will help.

Another essential is: Keep your system and all your software fully up-to-date. Especially: adobe (flash, shockwave, reader, etc), java. This will avoid 90% of the problems.

3. Gandalf_The_Grey

Gandalf_The_Grey Registered Member

4. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

There are two things:
    -you have to make sure the machine isn't compromised in the first place. Sandboxing (Sandboxie for example) can take care of that aspect pretty well.
    -if you're unsure that your system has adequate prevention mechanisms to keep your system safe, use a bootable Linux CD and do your banking from there. It's completely isolated from an infected system and the only potential security issue with that is an untrusted internet connection such as a public WiFi.

5. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Online banking protection is a modified browser that is used by the security vendors, where no add-ons are not loaded to be able to surf to the website of your bank. Because in normal browser a malicious add-on could be loaded.

6. southcat

Thanks for you guys.:)

7. AVusah

AVusah Registered Member

I would ditch WOT since it's community-based and therefore unreliable.

8. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

What absolute nonsense.!!
    Go to a malicious domain list and see WOT block a lot of them.A lot of good software is "community" based and i mean either cloud protection is "community" based.:mad: :mad:

9. vojta

vojta Registered Member

WOT is crap IMHO. I totally agree with this comment in the Firefox addon page:

https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/reviews/

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2013
  10. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Which alternatives do you reccommend?

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ot posts removed

12. itman

itman Registered Member

13. southcat

Thanks for the opinions. I think i will do a little research on WOT, see how is it.:)

14. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

For online banking and online shopping I use the built in Defensewall browser (Banking/Shopping mode) in DefenseWall Personal Firewall (32-bit only)
    Which has served me well for about five years. I know there are others I just have little or no experience with them.

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

EAM does not have any specific module for online banking protection. :rolleyes:
    The closest thing to it would be . . . the BB + Surf protection.

16. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Ok now, I have no idea what "BB" is, Mr. Noob.... o_O

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Behavior blocker :D

18. vojta

vojta Registered Member

EDIT:

As the quote I posted has been removed by a mod (I didn't know that comments in internet are copyrighted, sorry), as well as the option to edit my previous post, here is also the permanent link to the particular comment I was referring too:

https://addons.mozilla.org/es/firefox/addon/wot-safe-browsing-tool/reviews/404370/

I first posted the link to all the comments so that anyone could read positive opinions too, not only the ones that agree with mine.

19. vtn54

vtn54 Registered Member

20. itman

itman Registered Member

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is stand-alone real time anti-malware, antii-virus software. It does not include a firewall. You can run it with the compatiable firewall of your choice.

Online Armor is a firewall that can run stand-alone or is included as part of the Emsisoft Internet Secuirty package. Note that the free version of Online Armor does not include the banking protection.

I think you have to define what your needs and requirements are. If your running WIN 7 and have basic firewall needs, then the WIN 7 firewall in default mode is adequate and Emsisoft Anti-Malware paid version will provide banking protection and anti-malware(AV, spyware, browser, etc.) protection. If you already have a third party firewall and anti-virus, etc., then something like Zemana Antilogger paid version will give your online banking protection with minimal user interaction.

Trusteer Rapport is recommended by a number of financial institutions. It is free. A number of people use it. It runs stand alone with most other security products. I found it buggy and it had major performance impact on both my WIN 7 and XP installations.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  21. southcat

22. southcat

Thanks for your opinions. One nice guy had recommended Trusteer Rapport to me in other thread. I believe it is good, but i just feel a little strange of this product so i didn't use it.

23. southcat

24. itman

itman Registered Member

I just noticed you signature includes Emsisoft Anti-Malware paid running in real time. Since this is a MRG certifed online banking app, you should be fine.

Now if you want to debate which is the best online MRG certifed online banking app, I would vote for Zemana Antilogger paid.

25. southcat

After i read the report of MRG, i am really impressed by Zemana Antilogger, but i already have Spyshelter, So i don't know should i replace it.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.