What is "on access"?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by iwod, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

I find this on NOD32 and quite a few AV, when i do a search on my computer, it scan every item that is being searched ( namely every file on the drive.... )

So how is that different from ON demand?

And I don't understand, does searching open a file?

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

as you surf and browse you access different sites, folders and so on and they are scanned as they are accessed that is on access scanning. on demand scanning is when you choose something for it to scan such as a drive or directory or files. I hope that helped.

bigc

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

On-Access means when you access some file it's scanned before it's actually opened (accessed).
    Sometimes we use term "Real-Time Scan" for On-Access function.
    Same thing,just different name.

On-Demand means you have to demand a scan from antivirus (ie you want to scan disk C: )

4. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

Also note the difference between On-Access and On-Execute. For example the TDS-3 software provides On-Execute scanning, but not On-Access. This means that a file is scanned only if it is executed, but not when it is copied, moved, created, downloaded, uploaded. But On-Access scanning covers all of this, meaning a virus can be detected by On-Access scanners during any of: execution, copy, move, creation, downloading, uploading.
    -hojtsy-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.