What is KAV doing?!?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jstegmann, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Don,

I cannot argue with your experiences. They are as valid as mine. But for me KAV 5.0 was (is) much more befuddling that 4.5. I felt that the Pro version was downright weird - and I am no geek. Just a user who likes logical interfaces with switches that work. :)

Onward and upward! Hope you had a good night's sleep. :)

Rich

2. rabmail

rabmail Registered Member

Same experience with my systems, since installing KAV 5 WS the computers have operated flawlessly. I don't use System Restore so I can't comment on that issue. My TDS-3 runs fine and is not worried by ADS that KAV places.

If you read thru the various forums there are only the same few people making noises about the ADS issue. The rest seem to be living with ADS without problems, and most people dont even know what ADS means. KAV did not invent ADS, they just decided to use them to store their data.

Dick

3. richrf

richrf Registered Member

4. rabmail

Yes I read that article when it was written, but if one is to believe everything that is written about the dangers of Malware and Trojans, then you would not have a computer connected to the internet. That is the only way to be 100% safe.

In regard to ADS, I have other files on my computer with streams that were not created by KAV but rather by other programs. I have a large number of :Zone.Identifiers on .pdf files. I don't consider these Streams to be a problem just as I don't consider KAV's Streams to be a problem. I think the combination of KAV 5, TDS-3 and a good firewall is about as much protection as I can have and still usefully use computers connected to the internet. If one day something penetrates our protection, then we will just have to reformat and start clean again.

Dick

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

The primary question I ask myself in regards to any new release of any security software is: Does it make the system more or less secure? In this regard:

1) Does adding ADS to every file (especially system files) make a computer system more or less secure?

2) Does skipping the scanning of a file based upon the contents of the ADS (solely to improve performance), as KAV 5.0 does, make a system more or less secure?

If I was interested in "performance", I would use NOD32, which has excellent performance/security characteristics. Howver, when I purchased KAV, I did so (and will continue to do so), based solely on its ability to detect and clean malware. This is my number one (and only) concern, when I purchase an AV. Others may have different purchasing criteria and I respect that. However, I prefer 4.5 over 5.0 because it most fully conforms to my own criteria.

Rich

6. rabmail

Rich, you raise two very good points and I wish there was a clear cut answer. If there was, then I think we would both be happy. It is a very grey area at the moment.

I have 5 machines running NOD32 also and it is doing a great job.

There is no doubt that KAV seems to be in front when it comes to detection however, to date nothing has got past our NOD machines. I do agree that the AV that suits one person may not suit another.

But, it great talking about it :D

Dick

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks Dick. Good talking to you also.

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.