What is it with Chrome?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dw426, Jul 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overangry

overangry Registered Member

I also have issues with this. If it plays up on the odd occasion, I resolve it by duplicating the tab.
    That tends to fix any flash issues.
    You are right though, it is annoying.

2. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Heck... I've using Chromium almost for the same time it exists.

I rarely came across a bug, and never serious ones. Only very recently a few of the latest builds crashed, before it would even load. Then again, it could had been something in my system.

That's just about it. Any other small bugs (small, to me) that I've reported have been fixed, like the browser crashing when adding URLs to the bookmarks.

Overall, I don't see a major difference between Chrome and Chromium, in what concerns bugs.

Heck, none of my relatives are complaining. And, no Sully, I don't update that often. :D Most of time, only two times a month. Unless I accidently erase the latest stable build I downloaded, and a new one is buggy is that I'll download one or other build, until I find the most stable one. Very rare. lol

There's only one difference between Chromium and Chrome. Chromium is constantly changing. Chrome isn't. So, it's probable that users will find more bugs in Chromium (if they constantly update it) than they will with Chrome. Otherwise, I don't see any difference.

The so-called stable/final releases also have bugs... so... ;)

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Chrome and Chromium will definitely have different bugs when it comes to flash. I think that's fairly clear considering that you're using two separate flash plugins their respective counterpart browser.

Just curious for you Chromium users, why not use Canary?

5. m00nbl00d

One could ask: Why use Canary instead of Chromium? ;)

6. Hungry Man

Codecs support and built in Flash. The thing is that nothing (that I can think of at least) is in Chromium that isn't in Chrome but there are things in Chrome that aren't in Chromium. And with Canary out I can't see much reason to use Chromium, though I can definitely think of a few.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Really, more than Canary?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  8. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I have been using Chrome since a few weeks.The webpage and the mouse becomes unresponsive on odd occasions.The extensions i have are adblock,flashblock,ghostery,neat bookmarks and notscripts.As i was about to post about the problem using Chrome it became suddenly unresponsive and i took these screen shots and used firefox to post.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Nothing unique or helpful about the screenshots.

10. Hungry Man

Remove NotScripts. It's not that great and whitelisting javascript works virtually as well. It really does not work as well as NoScript.

11. brainrb1

..the screen shots were posted to point out that even 'wilders' webpage became unresponsive.Since i am new to Chrome(opera and ff user) and its extensions ..i will remove noscript and see how that goes.Thanks guys.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

One more "diagnostic" you could try is to keep Chrome's very own task manager open.
    http://www.google.com/support/chrome/bin/answer.py?answer=95672

You'll get to see information on various processes and which add-on is misbehaving, if any.

13. brainrb1

Thanks vasa1. Maybe i will like chrome ..as i learn more:)

14. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I think that's the main thing. Whichever browser it is, if we take patience to understand it, we'll be rewarded.

15. brainrb1

Even after removing noscript i have faced problems(webpage not responding) even with facebook and hotmail.:eek: (Maybe some other extension is not working as it should..)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  16. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Then turn off all extensions and see. If there's no problem, re-enable them one by one till you find the culprit.

17. m00nbl00d

I'm not really understanding your reply.

With Really, more than Canary?, are you asking me if Chromium changes more often than Canary?

If that's it, I really couldn't care less about Canary. When I mentioned Google Chrome, I meant the stable version, which was the one others were asking/saying people, in general, should be using, due to Chromium having more bugs (which is possible, considering that it's released hourly, or something like that).

I never once mentioned Canary, except in a reply to Hungry Man, asking him why I'd use Canary over Chromium. But that's it.

The part of your post that really confused was Even the stable is pretty constant to me.

By stable, you mean Google Chrome stable release, I believe. I never mentioned that Google Chrome (final release) changed a lot. Or, are you referring to bugs? I'm pretty sure the final release has bugs, or there would be no need to upgrade Google Chrome, ever. A bug that crosses my mind right now, is a localization bug. I still haven't checked the latest release, but the previous one was far from being completely translated to my language. It was a half baked translation. Totally unprofessional. I expect this to happen with Chromium, from time to time, considering new features are added, and translation may not be there yet. But, with Google Chrome final version? Really? It's a joke, IMHO.

-edit-

Not to mention security bugs... They all have them. :D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  18. brainrb1

If i turn off all the extensions..why is it that... would i use chrome instead of Firefoxo_O :rolleyes:

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Vasa is just asking you to try and see if the issue can be reproduced without extensions. If it can, then the browser itself is likely the culprit, if it can't, you'll know to look at a faulty/conflicting extension. I don't really understand what all that has to do with Chrome vs. Firefox.

20. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Thanks, dw426 :) .

Given the lack of detail, it is a standard sort of trouble-shooting ... turn of all add-ons and then re-enable them one by one (or by half if the number is huge). Some browsers have a "safe mode". I don't have Chrome any more or I'd have provided the exact route for Chrome.

21. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

There are two main "adblocks" for Chrome. Which one are you using? It is not clear.

I prefer the one called AdBlock Plus for Chrome.

22. brainrb1

I am using adblock not adblock plus.I will try adblock plus and see how that goes.

23. Hungry Man

Only use one at a time. Adblock Plus is better.

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't know, isn't AdBlock the only that is able to actually block the downloading of the ads (most)? I've tried out both and while neither gave me real "problems", AdBlock seemed to work a bit better for me. I only use EasyList+EasyPrivacy and the Malware Domain list. I'm just not a "fan" of Fanboy's lists, far too bloated for me and breaks a lot of websites.

25. Hungry Man

Adblock Plus is the one that does this and only for some/ most. It's by the developer of the Firefox version.

I don't use any adblocking except for my host file on my router. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.