What is ideal smart phone screen size?

Discussion in 'polls' started by aigle, Jun 22, 2013.

?

What is ideal smart phone display size?

1. 3.5 or less

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  2. 3.5 - 4

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  3. 4 - 4.5

13 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. 4.5 - 5

31 vote(s)
    44.9%
  5. 5 - 5.5

8 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. more than 5.5

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes, the S4 Mini has 4.3" inch screen. My phone has 4.7" screen and I don't find it to be too big, and quite comfortable to use.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Not only that, but the device has to fit comfortably in a jeans/trouser pocket.

3. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

This would not be an issue for me since I like to use the horizontal holsters that fit on your belt for my cell phone. You can get these horizontal type cell phone holsters large enough for the Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3".

4. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I have the same problem.

Although this could be a solution. I have seen people wearing those but I haven't tried it myself.

5. roger_m

Not a problem with my 4.7" phone. I can't comment on larger phone sizes.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'd actually like my 5.3" GT-N7000 to be bigger or smaller. It get uncomfortable when shifted from vertical to horizontal (happens to max the width of my usual pants).

Therefore, I'd like it to be big enough not to shift (preferably) or small enough not to feel uncomfortable when horizontal. My 3.5" iTouch feels fine, but it's too small.

7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Well I bit the bullet and joined the ranks of smart phone users. After using my new Samsung Galaxy S4 now for 5 days I'd say there is no ideal size.

8. Noob

Noob Registered Member

3.5" is definitely small, only my thumb would cover a good chunk of it. :D

9. TheKid7

The Google Play Store now has the Google Nexus 4 8 GB for $200 (before Tax & Shipping) and the Google Nexus 4 16 GB for $250 (before Tax & Shipping). Each one is $100 off the regular price which makes the Google Nexus 4 16 GB tempting.

However, I still don't like the following two negatives:

1. No MicroSD Card Slot.
    2. No battery changeout(?).

What do you think? Should I get the 16 GB model?

The screen size of 4.7 inches is very nice.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@TheKid7

The two points you mentioned are deal breakers for me. :(:thumbd:

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Welcome to the dark side. (Here in Wilders of course) :D

12. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

That statement couldn't be more true. It seems the entire goal of this darn thing is to extract as much about me as possible. Simply amazing.

13. TheKid7

I am still considering upgrading to the Samsung Galaxy S2 TMobile (~$250). I know that this model is a little outdated, but it should be enough for me. The screen size is 4.5 inches which is one (1) inch larger than my current 3.5 inch SmartPhone.

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The S2 is underpowered. :D

15. roger_m

The speed is still quite respectable. But, you can get faster phones for less money.

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

@roger m
    Couldn't agree more.:thumb:

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My main problem with the S2 would be the ram. In fact, i still wonder why Samsung only put 1GB on the S3. SUCKS!
    I wish it had at least 1.5GB.

18. roger_m

I guess they didn't think than much RAM was needed. Of course the extra RAM increases the price, but for an already premium priced phone, I don't see the minimal cost for the extra RAM really being an issue.

I think that 1GB RAM is enough for most uses. My past phones have had 512MB RAM and I found that to be not quite enough.

Having said that, my phone has 2GB RAM and currently 86% is being used. But to be fair, there's a lot of unneeded things occupying RAM such as 7 different app stores.

19. realraydon

realraydon Registered Member

4.5 is the best, i think. not too big to hold. not too small to view pictures or read things~

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I had to sacrifice many programs running in the RAM, which includes uninstalling Avast and disabling some system apps. I still need more RAM though. :D

Task Killers were a waste of resources, because those apps just restart. Auto Memory Manager helped, but I decided it was unnecessary and a bit buggy. Fast Reboot is great when the phone is acting slow.

In the end, Android is supposed to use lots of RAM by keeping apps running in the background for fast switching. Those apps are closed and reopened depending on the need. Therefore you shouldn't measure Android by free RAM like in Desktop OS, which displays cached RAM as available.

21. roger_m

You need Autostarts or Greenify.

Autoruns lets you stop apps from running in the background. It shows exactly what actions trigger an app to start, and lets you stop disable it starting then.

Greenify takes a different approach by letting you freeze apps you don't want running in the background - this prevents them from starting in the background. However you can still launch frozen apps and they will automatically be unfrozen when you launch them, and then be frozen again when you close them.

22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Root is required, which I don't have or need. I've already disabled or uninstalled all of the biggest RAM hogs. Thanks for sharing those apps anyways.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Looks interesting. :D
    I have Avast! installed on mine and usually i'd say my average available RAM is between 350-475. (But it increases quickly if i start opening things like Office Suite, Chrome etc)
    Using Samsung stock JB 4.2.1 and have almost nothing installed except for a few apps like WhatsApp etc.

24. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Going from S2 [ 4.3" ] to Nexus 4 [ 4.7" ] to Note 2 [ 5.5" ] i cannot go back to any small screen size now

25. TheKid7

I see that the Google Nexus 5 SmartPhone is to be released in early to mid October. The new Nexus 5 is reported to have a 5.0 inch screen and will support LTE.

Today, I almost ordered a Google Nexus 4 16 GB. I waited a few hours and the Nexus 4 went out of stock. It is suspected that the Nexus 4 will not be restocked.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.