What is causing this problem?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by marshallNW, Jan 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marshallNW

marshallNW Registered Member

What is causing this problem (now fixed)?

A co-worker suggested (recommened) I consult the members of this site for assistance in resolving a problem with my general use (by wife and child) PC. Web pages "cannot be displayed" and email can not be downloaded. I called the ISP (earthlink) and they are satisfied that I have a winsock.dll issue. What does this mean?

At start up seperate error messages for the following is displayed:

#1) Unable to start Norton Email Scan

#2) Mobile Device:
    Missing TCP/IP Transport

When IE 6.0 is opened a "page cannot be diplayed" message apprears. At the bottom of the window the following is "flashed": res://c\\windows\system\shdoclc.dll.dnserror

With the ISP tech I did the following:

Released IP address
    Renew IP address
    Power up and restart; PC, Motorolla Cable Modem, LinkSys Router/AP
    Ping various IP address's.

On my own I have attempted to access the router through the IP address supplied by LinkSys. I have not been able to do this.

I have connected my NON affected laptop to each router port and directly to the cable modem to confirm the problem is isolated to the PC.

I have (from a USB drive) installed Grisoft antivirus and updated and run the antivirus. 4 files were cleaned- but no success with the problem in accessing the web.

Over the years "we" have installed and maintained Registry Mechanic and Symantec anti-virus + a suite of Norton/Symantec tools. But I'm totally lost in trying to fix this problem.

The machine in question is an HP Pavillion 1GHz w/ Windows Millenium Edition.

Can somebody provide me some assistance or direct me to a forum where I can find information on these problems. I can (and have available) a current hijack this log- my friend instructed me to ask before posting it on this site.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2006
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

here is a winsock repair tool it has always worked for me but use it at your own risk. Here Will only work on Win. XP

let us know how it goes for you.

bigc

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

marshallNW

If the winsock repair doesn't help, you can pick a forum from this announcement and post a hijack log. An expert will help you find the problem.

4. marshallNW

The Winsock repair tool is for XP. The machine I'm working on is a WinME OS.

5. bigc73542

Sorry about that:doubt:

6. bigc73542

here is one that will work on ME. Here here is another

7. marshallNW

Much appreciation for the suggested fix- I will download it to a usb drive. When I get home this evening I will copy it to the desktop and run it.

I'll make sure to follow-up and let you know how this worked for me.

Once again much thanks!
    Marshall

8. bigc73542

No problem at all, I just hope it fixes your problem. ;)

9. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

Windows ME has file protection......you may be able to use your Start-up disc an repair any damage..........at the "C" prompt enter "SCANREG/FIX

otherwise.....install Winsock......

10. aka:snowman

aka:snowman Former Poster

Would also suggest that you SCAN for Trojans...........before trying to fix the problem..........an clear out your system restore....if a trojan is found and removed

11. marshallNW

Re: What is causing this problem?(that is now fixed!)

To everyone that took time from your day to review my post or assist: Thank you. I appreciate every second you gave in looking at my appeal for help + suggesting a solution to my PC/Internet problems. :thumb:

I missed Snowman's advise before successfully making the repairs to WinME. I ran the winsock2fix downloaded from Here.

BTW- I have enjoyed reading the various posts from your memebers. The problems, suggestions and discussions are very interesting to myself- someone that is very low tech.

I will be back to visit on occassion and hopefully I can gain some additional insight as to how I can be better prepared to recover from a problem with our home PC.

Thank you all!
    Marshall

12. bigc73542

Glad to hear the suggestion of the winsock repair fixed you problem. Anymore problems come on back and we will see if we can help again.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.