What is a very good Photo Printer?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by RobertSA01, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertSA01

RobertSA01 Registered Member

I am looking to purchase a very good Photo Printer and have considered some I have found from HP and Canon. I found also that CNET has lined up 5 printers that they believe to be really good and where I found that is on this link: http://reviews.cnet.com/best-printers/?tag=ltcol;nav

I just really would like to know the best brand or best model from a brand of Photo Printer that I can buy and get good results with.

Thanks in advance, please advise.

-Robert

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

"Best" brand/model is difficult to say because everyone's requirements and standards for print quality differ.

If you are printing small (4x6) for albums and gifts, almost any color printer today will produce acceptable prints.

Otherwise:

Will you print larger than 8x10? What do you intend to do with your prints? Frame for displaying?
    Is archival quality (100+ years) a concern?

Here are some which print larger and use archival inks.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...fhjeemcgemcfjgdfljdfon.0&cookies=no&oid=-8165

Epson Stylus Photo 1400
    Epson Stylus Photo R800
    (others below on the page)

8-color Epson UltraChrome Hi-Gloss® Ink

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...y=Photosmart&catLevel=1&storeName=storefronts

(go to p. 2)

HP Photosmart Pro B8350 Photo Printer
    HP Photosmart Pro B8850 Photo Printer

archival pigment inks

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=182&modelid=12892

PIXMA Pro9000
    ChromaLife ink

Optimum results (both quality and archival) require the best papers recommended by the Manufacturer. Even so, compare.

For example, in HP I find a noticeable difference between their Premium and Premium Plus matte papers.

The good stores will let you make a test print. Put an image on a camera card and compare the results with different printers.

---

3. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

I have been using my Canon Pixma 4200 for 2 years now and I have to say that I'm still extremely satisfied. HQ prints and pretty economical in ink use.

I guess all newer models of the Pixma series will perform even better.

4. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Canon Pixma ( iP5000 ) here too: works good: 5 inks.
    Print quality also dependent on paper type and quality, prints can be coated for longevity.
    Quality may also depend on camera's capabilities..
    If you want lasting quality don't go for the lasers yet, prints fade...

Realistically: the photo shops can do great prints for a comparatively cheap price when compared to a home set-up.

5. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Another vote for Canon Pixma.

Then buy ink and refill the cartridges when necessary-works fine

6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I would stay away from the epson's, they have problems with their cartridges sometimes not giving the full bang, reporting empty when it still has plenty of ink. Check the alotofthings.com website the guy there tests alot of inkjet printer and their cartridges. You don't want to buy the wrong printer that uses too much ink or won't take generics. You need to have the option of generics, just in case you use your printer more than once a week.

I always buy generic cartridges for my printer, every once in a while I'll buy an oem cartridge but usually I can't tell the difference in output. I always buy canon printers I have the ip6700d and also the ip6600d both photo printers that I paid $75.00 each on sale, the output is good the cartridges last a long time. Make sure you get a printer that has indidviual cartridges, not 3 colors in one cartridges. Also factor in the cost of the cartridges in your buying decision.

Buying a printer is one thing you need to do your research, if I had to go out and buy a printer today, I would seriously consider the the canon pixma ip4500. It uses the same cartridges as the ip 6700d which are reliable. But it only prints up to 8x10.

This forum below deals only with printers, you can see which ones have problems and which are reliable.
    http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/index.php

7. RobertSA01

RobertSA01 Registered Member

Hello Everyone:

I'd just like to tell everyone thank you for replying to my question regarding a printer to buy and mostly everyone talked about Canon rather than HP. I've always owned HP printers and have had very good results with them but I'm now going to try Canon and hope I can get the same good results or better as far as how long the printer will last, etc.

The printer I've decided on is a Canon Pixma iP4500 Photo Inkjet Printer.

Thanks again everyone!

-Robert

8. Arup

Arup Guest

I currently have the Canon IP6210D but have been a Epson user in past. When it comes to overall printing speed and maintainence, Canon wins but when it comes to photos, Epson still is the master. Only problem is Epson has separate ink jets which can get clogged rendering the entire printer useless and the cost of fixing them is around 70% of the original cost of the printer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.