What internet payment methods do you use, and why?

Discussion in 'polls' started by MikeNash, May 19, 2006.

?

What type of payment system do you use for internet purchases

1. I use my credit card, my security (or bank) protects me

57 vote(s)
    62.6%
  2. Paypal, because I don't want to use my card on the net

21 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Bank transfer/bank cheque or internet banking

5 vote(s)
    5.5%
  4. Other (discuss)

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

There's a lot of concern about keystroke recording, identity theft and credit card fraud on the internet.

I'm curious to know what payment methods to people use on the internet, why, and what problems they see with the security of purchasing via the net.

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi Mike,
    I use my Credit Card, but only to buy or renew my software liscence. So far I never had any problems but my Security is quite tight.;)

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I use them all, go where others fear to tread :blink: ;) :D

Cheers :D

4. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Always use my credit card for all purchases on the internet, whether software, renewals, DVD's or any other stuff. :D

Last week I did receive a letter from VISA that fraud had been committed with my creditcard, so I blocked it immediately. :eek:
    They also told me it's under investigation, but I will receive my new card within a week.

All in all a pretty good service from them. :thumb:

5. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I use my credit card...cuz it`s insured.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

My bank has a VISA card that can only be used on the net.
    I log on to my bank, activate my "internet VISA card" for one buy. After that buy it is not possible to use that VISA number until next time I log on to my bank and activate it for a buy. This way I dont have to worry about anything if anybody steals my VISA number since that VISA card is only "open" for a minute or two (until I´ve done my buying 30 days at max)

For my bank login I use a card reader that reads my credit card and certificate for the bank.
    So I feel pretty safe.
    Before my "internet VISA" I used my regular VISA card for years, only had one mishap;
    CDuniverse (USA) where I had bought CD´s got hacked and lost thousands and thousands of VISA card numbers from their database. VISA contacted me and sent me a new card. No problems.

I use Paypal for some minor payments (with my internet visa card) so even if someone gets hold my login details for Paypal they cant use it...I think. Because I asume that Paypal checks that the VISA account, that I have given in my profile, contains money everytime I use Paypal.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Credit card, and so far no problems.

8. dog

dog Guest

I have a dedicated card for online purchases with a smaller credit limit - I've never had a problem.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have two bank accounts one is strictly for use of my check card for online purchases. It never has more in the account than it takes to keep it open until I transfer some money into it for a specific purchase and I have another account with a check card for regular non internet purchases. It seems to be a pretty good arrangment. ;)

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i myself dont have a credit card, but both my parents have used their credit card. so far no problems.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Although I don't like to do this, I had to use my creditcard to pay for
    - Total Uninstall
    - Acronis True Image
    - PerfectDisk
    - SnagIt

12. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

I always use my credit card for my online purchases. It's a dedicated rechargeable credit card and I charge only when I have to buy something like software, renewals or other stuff. Never problem with it.

13. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'm quite happy with my bank's Visa security, so on the rare occasions I can't find a freebie version of what I want, that's what I'll use. I often have to deal with Paypal (as a Visa-handling payment service, that is, rather than a cash account) simply because they're so big and many vendors never heard of other payment services. And while Paypal did have a miserable rep at one time for poor security and customer relations, I think they've done a marvelous job of cleaning house since then.

Monthly bills like phone, etc., I'll pay online through my bank, but that's not online purchases/debits so wasn't the question. My bank wants secure connection just to access their front page, even before logging into my account, plus they frequently post notices about new phishing problems, so I'm happy with that too.

14. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I use my credit card (visa), it is supposed to have a lot of security devices in it. I pay all my bills online with the credit card; buy software; renue existing software-today I renued my firewall via credit card online; I've bought books; CDs; clothes; Stereo Equipment; A TV..all with the credit card online.

15. Taz71498

Taz71498 Registered Member

I use Paypal if available but then I also use my credit card.

Have been a bit sloppy in the past but now I have one machine that I know is clean for sure and will use that computer for purchases because I know it can be trusted.

Almost want one computer just for purchases and nothing else so one does not have to worry about those keyloggers.

I think I worry more about the other end. The companies that have my credit card number and I can do nothing about protecting it and have to worry about their databases getting hacked or some employee having access to my number.

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Similar to BigC. I only use one credit card for net purchases seperate from the other one. It's easy to spot a thief I make so few internet purchases. I'm not a big spender

Also, (sorry, I can not help it after all it is true) I use Boclean to guard against keyloggers and other want to be theives! ;)

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I always use cash, and if they can't accept that paper then i can't help them make the sale. :D

18. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Thank you everyone for the replies so far, it's been a very interesting set of responses - not at all what I might have expected.

Personally, I used to just use one of my credit cards just for internet purchases - now because most of my "toys" can be bought wholesale through my company, it's very rare that I will buy online. When I use Online Banking services, of course I only use it through clean machines, or machines I reasonably expect should be clean.

Part of the reason I ask this question is that a client and friend of mine has just put the finishing touches on a new micro-payment / internet payment system and I was wondering if part of his market could be to people who were concerned about credit card fraud online, or could not obtain a credit card.

I'd expected a much higher proportion of users around here to be concerned about the use of cards on the net - although I've only ever had problems off-net with credit cards (Gym that wants a special form to cancel the payments, but takes 2 months to send the form!)

Mike

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Not to make light of on-line card transactions but is been my personal experience that if i do transact with a card the vendor better have a direct customer service rep who can be reached by phone and offer the customer a reference number to the sale and exact amount. That way there is NEVER no mistakes and if there are they can only access the agreed upon amount and no more PERIOD!

The internet is awash with fraud and phishers and the reviews are in on all the peeps who fell victim to them.

20. thebigdintx

thebigdintx Registered Member

i tried using cash, but it didn't work. i kept pushing my money into the money slot in the front of the computer, but my payments never went through.......then i found out it was a floppy drive!! haha. no, seriously, i just use a credit card.

21. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

PayPal here.
    Sometimes with a card,PayPal account balance,or e-check.
    No troubles yet.

22. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

I pay in cash because I don't have a credit card, bank account or paypal :D and it's best that way, for me :D :D
    I drive to the cable company every month to pay for my internet and cable. :) :) :) :cool: :cool: :cool:

23. rafael

rafael Registered Member

I only use credit card payment with reputable vendors. As to others, I use cash.

24. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I have mostly used my bank card, but other times I have used PayPal.

25. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I vote for other.
    I avoid everything that smells like social engineering ;)

Gerard

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.