What Imaging app works like Virtual Machine change-only snapshots?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by mapletree, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mapletree

mapletree Registered Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Hello, could you help me understand the kind of imaging program I look for?

Windows 7 Pro, sp1 is the OS.

I read about the FirstDefense-ISR way, and it seemde very good, too bad it's not available now.

I use Drive Snapshot very much, it's never failed me, I really do love how small but powerful it is.

I also tried the Deep Freeze for awhile, and though it's so strong, it gets a little too much work
    because I like to change things quite often in the system partition (all the data stays on a different one).

What I want is to make several the images at different points of my installing the software applications,
    in a linear progressive manner.

But with the Drive Snapshot I have to make the full image of the partition each time -
    isn't there some imaging approach that would be very much like making Virtual Machine images --
    that would make image of only the changes to the volume,
    & so only use a little time and disk space to make each new level of image ?

.... and then you could reimage according to which level of changes you want to revisit?

Before, with Windows XP, even my full install Drive Snapshot images were less than 4 GB,
    but now with the "new & improved" (NOT !) way of the Microsoft to fatten up the WinSXS,
    well, even the very first level-minimal install of image is almost 5 GB !

I do use the Sandboxie - I paid the lifetime choice several years ago, and really do like this one too.

But overall, I want to continue the imaging plan, it's work so good for me for too long now,
    just I would like to have a slight different approach.

Thank you very much
  2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Any imaging program that supports incrementals, will do what you need.

For free I recommend Keriver 1-click restore, or the build in backup feature of 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.