What Im Doing Wrong?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by mata7, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

1. Stop using compressed snapshots, because that doesn't seem to work. Why I don't know yet.

2. If you don't use DVD's or CD's do NOT use the functions "Import Snapshot" and "Export Snapshot".

3. Only use COPY/UPDATE.

4. Copy/Update FROM snapshot TO snapshot, is called COPY

5. Copy/update FROM snapshot TO archive, is called ARCHIVE

6. Copy/update FROM archive TO snapshot, is called RESTORE.

Start using the words ARCHIVE and RESTORE, because it's very confusing when you talk about
    - IMPORT instead of RESTORE
    - EXPORT instead of ARCHIVE

If you watch the screens and menus carefully, then you will see that FDISR uses these words.
    Forget about import and export.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  2. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Erik thanks for your help

1- I don’t use compress snapshots I try one time dint work and never try again

2 Copy/Update don’t work for me, every time that I use Copy/Update, the new snapshot don’t boot

I use the word import because on my first defense I don’t see any where that say restore, maybe because im old

3. ErikAlbert

If copy/update doesn't work, how can you create new snapshots or archives on an external harddisk ?
    You created a second snapshot, you need copy/update to make that possible.

4. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Erik I know what is the problem here, is that I don’t explain myself very well, so let me try again

Yesterday after I install FDefense, I did a copy/update and everything when fine, after that I went on FDefense Tools/export snapshots and I save my primary snapshots to hard drive, today I want to copy/update newsnapsots again so I can have 3 snapshots. But after copy/update the snapshots wont boot, thus my problem

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Let me try to get this clear also becuase i think i understand. You done an EXPORT of say one whole snapshot to another drive but you are also trying to Update/Copy to the EXPORT? with an exisiting snapshot? archive?

I'm getting tangled up in this myself i think because i too EXPORTED a complete snapshot to another partition but, i believe it must be IMPORTED back first then Copy/Update applied to it if you like to refresh it. I haven't tested IMPORTING it becuase i've left that feature for the more/faster saving Archivies.

Don't worry, these guys have turned FD-ISR inside and out so they'll get a handle on what you've done and why something is not responding as you expected.

6. ErikAlbert

mata,
    Forget about export snapshot, you are TOO FAST and delete everything except your primary snapshot.

1. Copy/update from primary snapshot to secondary snapshot.

2. Copy/update from primary snapshot to new snapshot

3. Copy/update from primary snapshot to new compressed snapshot.

And boot in each snapshot (4) and then you tell me, if it was good or bad.

Tell me also how many harddisks you have, internal and external and how big.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Erik's plan is the best. Try that and let us know. I would forget import/export for now. Archives will prove more useful to be sure.

8. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

ok i unistall FDefense, remove all snapshots format and restore my Vista Image that i make wiht Vista PC Backup, so PC is clean

now install FDefence

1. Copy/update from primary snapshot to secondary snapshot. "Work"

2. Copy/update from primary snapshot to new snapshot " No Boot"

The problem look is when I’m doing the third Copy/Update, don’t know what to do anymore, you guys are really helpful but I start felling that this software don’t work for me, and I don’t want keep bother you guys

9. ErikAlbert

You don't bother us, we like to help. Don't give up so fast.
    So you can boot in the primary and the secondary snapshot without problems and everything works in both snapshots, but you can't create a third snapshot ? Any error message ? You don't tell us much.
    Did you check your harddisk ? Is there enough space ? How many GB did you use already and how big is your harddisk ? Are you using version 3.20 build 202, did you check this in FDISR ?
    How big is the size of both snapshots ? Keep in mind that I can't see your computer, you have to give us some information.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  10. Peter2150

1) Absolutely no bother. We are glad to help when we can.
    2) By chance do you have many files in your c:\ folder. In another words the root directory. There was an old bug concerning this, and I was experiencing what you now are.

If the answer to number 2 is no, then I would suggest emailing Raxco support. There may be a problem under Vista.

Pete

PS keep us posted. We learn from each other.

11. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

ok guys thanks for keep help me

thas correct

my C:/ drive have 100gb of Space, and i have 2 snapshot of 11 GB Each so i still have like 70 GB Free

First Defense 3.20 build 202
    No Erros On The Log

if this help, i have Asus P4P 800 deluxe "Bios Update 1019" , 3GB Of OCZ Ram, Nvidia 6800 Ultra, 3 Extra Hard Drive

Peter

on my c:\ folder, i only have Progra File, User and Windows

before i went to sleep i left a Shedule Run wiht copy/update of the Primary Snapshot, the shedule did the copy/update but the snap dint boot, again third snap dint boot, btw im using the trial, could that be the problem limited to 2 snapshots?

again thanks for you help guys

12. Peter2150

So there are no files in the root directory, just the above folders.

I think I would contact Raxco support(assuming you got the program from them) and get some support..

Pete

13. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Yes I got the link for the trial from them, but you know contact supports in general sometimes take weeks to they respond you, I will give it a try

done i just send email to raxco support

14. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Wow they already answer my email, that was fast, they ask me for I file that have all my comp info i mean all, I send it, but I’m concern about that, it was too much info

15. ErikAlbert

mata,
    Thanks for all the answers and we all need these answers to locate the problem.
    After reading all your answers :
    - you used FDISR correctly this time and you used the right functions
    - you have enough space on your harddisk [C:] for 10 snapshots (= maximum of bootable snapshots in FDISR). A third snapshot shouldn't be a problem at all.
    This means that there must be a conflict between winVISTA and FDISR build 202.
    Keep in mind that winVISTA is a VERY NEW Operating System and it is NORMAL that problems can occur due to unexpected conflicts.
    I read you have sent an email to Raxco, that is very good, we are all looking forward for their answer, because what happened to you can also happen to us and many other users world-wide.

Meanwhile, I suggest that you keep FDISR on your computer, because your primary and secondary snapshot seem to work normal and that means you can use FDISR until the problem is fixed.
    I know it's a little annoying for you, but when Raxco is able to fix your problem it will be good for all of us.

Don't give up on FDISR, because FDISR is a fantastic software, which can be used in many ways and it will save you from alot of trouble and wasted time. FDISR is one of a kind, because there is no other software like that.

So have a little patience, you still can work with FDISR, it's only a matter of time.
    Once the problem is fixed, we will help you further with using FDISR.
    Thanks again and keep us posted !!! :cool:

16. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Aright Erik thanks for all you help, lest wait now for raxco and I will update you as soon I have a answer from they

17. Peter2150

Well you now are learning that not only is FDISR an unusual program, but Raxco support also is a bit "unusual".

18. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Finally got it working :D :D :D :D :D

Wile Sherri from raxco was help me to see what could be the problem, I swap my 4 stick of ram and it pay off, I got my 3 bootable snaps working, now I’m going to test the freeze snap, so should I have the freeze on different partition?

Thanks for all you help guys and thanks for take you free time to help me

19. ErikAlbert

Congrats. :)
    If you go to Tools / Options / Freeze you can see where the freeze storage is stored on your harddisk
    under the name "Freeze Storage.ARX" (= archived snapshot)

It is not necessary to store the freeze storage on another partition, but if you don't have space enough on partition [C:], you can move the freeze storage to another partition of your choice.
    Moving the freeze storage to another partition is also a bit safer.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  20. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Ok thanks Erik

And now this is the last question am so happy the I forgot to ask, I got Norton Ghost 12 for free because I’m Symantec Beta Tester and I help with Norton ghost anyways, it will be safe to install ghost and create one image so if anything happen you never know I have a Oder backup just ready

again thanks

21. ErikAlbert

I have no experience with Norton Ghost, but watch your thread, because other members might give you an answer.
    Use a test snapshot and install Norton Ghost on it and use it there.

If you have a reliable backup software, other than Norton Ghost, you can test Norton Ghost images.
    If something goes wrong you can restore the image of your reliable backup software.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  22. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Let say I install Ghost or any image backup software on my “test snapshot” and that software modifique the MBR, when I do copy/update from my Primary snapshot to my “test snapshot “ it will remove even the MBR Modification that the Image backup software create on the test snapshot?

23. ErikAlbert

The latest build 202 doesn't touch the MBR anymore.
    Once you start to do such things, take care of a good image FIRST to restore your computer.
    Beta version can be tricky and if you don't have a good image, you can lose everything.
    You are a beta-tester, you should know this. :)

24. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

ok erik thank you i own you a cold Corona beer :)

25. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.