What happens when I upgrade from Mag CD?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by KennyG, Feb 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KennyG

KennyG Guest

Ok so every month I buy a new PC Mag and on the cover CD, there is NOD32 installation for another month. Username and Password imbedded in the program....stupid ....stupid idea!

Problem is, those wankers on the mags are always about 2 months behind with virus definitions and component upgrades. I know it's due to the time factor between preparing everything and going to print, but all of that problem could be avoided if the username and password was not imbedded in the upgrade....stupid idiots!

So when I re-install NOD32 it ultimately reverts back to earlier definitions, components etc.

Ok no biggy you say, just download upgrades, well it's time consuming, and annoying. I don't understand why the mags imbedded the username and password. If people wanted to share the program they still can by just sharing the disc, so it's not really a deterrent.

Anyway, I know I could buy the program outright, but I don't have $120 or $75 bucks ok? :doubt:

My question is, do you lose all the virus definitions/sigs leading up to the update, after re-install?

Or does the latest definition downloaded include previous virus signatures?

eg... I just re-installed NOD32 which expires end of March 2004, but before the install I already had the latest virus definition 1.617 downloaded.

After the new install it was reverted back to 1.612 or something, so I immediately updated back to 1.617, anyway do I lose all the updates between 1.612 up to 1.617, or are all the sigs in the Virus signature database build: 4202?

This is my current NOD32 Antivirus System information
    Virus signature database version:   1.617 (20040206)
    Dated:   Friday, 6 February 2004
    Virus signature database build:   4202

Information on other scanner support parts
    Advanced heuristics module version:   1.005 (20031222)
    Advanced heuristics module build:   1047
    Internet filter version:   1.001 (20031104)
    Internet filter build:   1012
    Archive support module version:   1.008 (20031127)
    Archive support module build version:   1078

Information on installed components
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Base
    Version:   2.000.9
    NOD32 For Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Internet support
    Version:   2.000.8
    NOD32 for Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 - Standard component
    Version:   2.000.9

Operating system information
    Platform:   Windows XP
    Version:   5.1.2600 Service Pack 1
    Version of common control components:   5.82.2800

Just wondering,

hope all this makes sense, well I know what I'm talkin about anyway. :D

thanks

2. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Hi,
    No, if you have for example 1.617 and turn on the computer later in 4 days, it will update for example to 1.620 and so it had downloaded earlie updates like 1.618, etc.

3. KennyG

KennyG Guest

So what you're saying is if you have 1.612...and then you get the 1.617 download, it includes all updates from 1.613 up to and including 1.617.

Ok glad to hear that...but I still think the mags people are MORONS!

:D

Thanks

4. sig

sig Registered Member

The CD's are not intended for people who want to continually install a trial version to avoid paying for the registered product.

The inconvenience of uninstalling, reinstalling and updating is the price you pay for not purchasing the software or just using a free AV.

5. Kym

Kym Registered Member

I agree with what was said about the price to pay for not purchasing a Nod32 licence, which I did about 2 or so years ago, but I must confess to being baffeled by this line from Australian PC USER

"License: 30-day trial (requires monthly updates from this CD)"

A Monthly update for a 30 day trail, does not make sense.

6. KennyG

KennyG Guest

FYI Sig,

The program is NOT a trial version it's the full version.

I suspect Mags have made some sort of deal with ESET to supply the prog on their CDs every month, with the new user ID and password which expires at the end of each month. I'm sure there has to be a kickback.

Before you reply to a question and make snide remarks in future Sig I suggest you read what is written!

7. sig

sig Registered Member

There is no qualitative difference between the trial and the registered (i.e. "full") version except the trial version expires after 30 days and the registered version does not.

You've got the trial version.

8. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Or he may have an "Evaluation Key" that expires every month, they are given to resellers such as myself, to let potential users of Nod evaluate the software, we also use the eval key to install and update Nod on a PC when Nod is purchased, it allows a customer to pay and walk out the door with a full version. And from there we forward their UN and PW by email upon receipt from our distributor.

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.