What happens when I renew my license?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by virkelie, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virkelie

virkelie Registered Member

I have nod32, version 2.7.
    I DON"T want version 3.0; I want to keep version 2.7.

I have to renew my 1 year license this month; but on the renewal page, only 2 options are given:

1. ESET Smart Security
    2. ESET Node32 Antivirus Version 3.0 - New!

http://www.eset.com/purchase/index.php

What happens when I puchase a renewal under - "ESET Node32 Antivirus Version 3.0 - New!"?

Will my version automatically be updated to version 3.0?
    Will I have to download a file for the license renewal?

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

3. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

There is a renewal tab on the Eset antivirus side of that page - you would purchase a 3.0 renewal, but that license will work for your 2.7 if you wish to stay on the previous version.

I believe that once you purchase the renewal from eset, you will have to get them to sync your expiration dates as a separate exercise. Or - you could purchase from a reseller who can get it right the first time when you provide your expiration date at the time of purchase! ;)

4. virkelie

So I purchased my renewal today.

I inserted my new username and password in the update section.

How do I now check the expiration date?

(I don't see it in any of the Nod32 windows - version 2.7).

5. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

That feature is only available in version 3, AV or ESS.

6. virkelie

Well I re-read my confirmation email from ESET - and the new expiry date is 1 year from TODAY'S date (purchase date); and NOT 1 year from the expiration date of my old license.

This despite I RENEWED, and I did NOT buy a NEW license.

So I would have been short-changed, if "webyourbusiness" didn't inform me to check the new expiration date.

I sent email to ESET support; and I am sure they will fix this.
    But I am also sure there are thousands who renew, and are short-changed, because they don't know their renewal doesn't actually give them a full year.

ESET has been around long enough such that when you RENEW, the renewal license should extend your current license by the renewal period; a RENEWAL license should not start on the day of purchase.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  7. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

Well, you could have waited until say, the day before it expired, or the day of, and you wouldn't be "shortchanged" then:D . That's what I'm going to do. I agree with you about the expiration date, that's the only solution I know of, that's all.

8. virkelie

Ya, I could have waited,
    But I kept getting these mildly annoying pop-ups from ESET advising my license is due to expire.
    I expected that when you "RENEW" - your licence is EXTENDED for the purchased license period; not REPLACED with a new license on the day of purchase.

This should not be hard for a security company to get right.
    I have all sorts of software, which I RENEW regularly - and the licenses are indeed RENEWED.

This is my 2nd year with ESET; prior I was with McAfee for 11 years. When I renewed with McAfee, "RENEWALS" were indeed renewals.

9. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

10. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I told you that the Eset system doesn't cope with making the renewals the correct date - OUR DOES. We're web experts - they create the best antivirus - that's why we can get it handled from the get-go, and they'll get it working that way SOMETIME (perhaps). Should have supported the reseller network, as most resellers I know have it handled correctly...

11. virkelie

ESET just fixed my expiration date.

But I did go to the "partners" section at the ESET website; I clicked Canada - I tried a whole BUNCH of websites,

The websites either didn't work (no page / dead links), or if the website did work, I could not find a link for Nod32.

So I gave up; and I renewed from the main site (eset.com).

(And I didn't know "webyourbusiness" is actually a business; but even on your site - I found it hard to get to the renewal link for nod32; ie too many pages/clicks to get there).

12. yakabot

yakabot Registered Member

Shouldn't have to.
    If I renew my drivers license, the payment is for when the current payment runs out/expires.
    If I renew an insurance policy, it's from when the current one expires.
    I totally understand why virkelie isn't/wasn't happy about this. :mad:

13. sflorack

sflorack Registered Member

Back in June 2006 I had the same issue, which was resolved by contacting ESET support.

I would think they'd want to get it right the first time, but who knows..

As far as resellers go.. Why would we be tempted to use one if the pricing is the same as the actual provider? I could understand going through a reseller for non-digital goods, but can't see the advantages of going through a middleman.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.