What happened? First time FD did not come to the rescue!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Acadia, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi Easter,

actually mft has more than one recovery strategies and this is why ntfs is a much more stable than fat32.
    The following is one of the few vulnerabilities of the ntfs and is probably what happened on Acadia's disk.
    Panagiotis

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Go back and read OP's post. If indeed the MFT was corrupt, then why did going into the bios settings, not changing anything, and leaving fix it. Very strange.

3. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Hi Peter,

I did read it, but Acadia said that he managed to enter at the primary snapshot. Does not mention that he succeded to enter in the secondary snapshot.

When FD-ISR corrupted my mft I had a similar behavior. Then I decided to eliminate the secondary snapshot (Vista) and after that could not enter on my primary (XP) either.

I used various recovery programs to check the partition and all of them reported it as unformated or unknown ntfs partition.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yes it is all very strange indeed sometimes but then again even the best code engineers who fashioned and patterned this creation named Windows never seem to make as many total provisions against such problems before they are released in the field. (my old aerospace background speaking now LoL)

There it is in a nutshell.

The programmed code instructions detect a distorted or otherwise out-of-pattern position within some predetermined measurement or electronic/magnetic signal and at-once switches into it's (GUESS) choice of options to act with and print-to-screen also.

See, i've also run into $M limitations on another unrelated issue then Acadia's matter but the results and outcome were equal in lost time and frustrations. Mine happened to be some glitch in CHKDSK that scrambled the tar out of my FD-ISR archives rendering them little better then dung.

I suppose there exists a reasonable case where program developers sometimes have to shoot-in-the-dark when it comes to balancing their intentions with the internal layout structure of Windows, because after all they have to try to meld their works in a way that doesn't upset the normal functions of Windows AS-IS and i know they put a lot of effort in taking every precaution they humanly can to make the best fit without sacrificing some stability issue later down the line at the end user's point, but there again it begs to question, does it originate from the $M end or the program fashioned to use the tools (code) afforded them to work with?

I dunno, but anyway thanks for this little tidbit of news. Whats really disappointing is the part where the system GUESSES (assumes), and Windows does it's fair share of that sometimes i'll tell ya. :doubt:

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

No they are superiour to males in almost every aspect,except for reading Roadmaps !!

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Everything has worked fine since then but something interesting: my wife has a total of three bootable snapshots, the Primary and two others. After all of this happened, I went back into the two other Snapshots; each time I received a black screen with white lettering asking me how I wanted to boot, I choose the "Normal" option; everything went OK, I was able to boot into the other Snapshots but I received that black screen, never seen before, with each Snapshot.

Don't know if this has anything to do with it but these were old Snapshots created under RSS; I have since switched to using VSS, so I updated the two bootable Snapshots using the Primary all of course done in VSS. So right now everything seems to be OK, don't know what went wrong or how it got fixed; I am no longer getting that black screen with white text when I change Snapshots that asks me how I want to boot, normal or safe mode, etc.

Acadia

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FDISR is good, but it failed a few times since I use it and I wasn't even surprised.
    I trust Image Backup alot more than Immediate System Recovery, because those are never on-line and
    you need only 3 things : Recovery CD, external harddisk and a clean image.
    I'm quite surprised that this is the very first time for you, after all you use it longer than me.

8. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I have had a couple of issues with it over the three years that I have used it but never a complete failure.

Acadia

9. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I would suggest investigating why your wife needs to reboot the system when updating Firefox. I've never seen a request to do this everytime I update Firefox.

10. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

I second that advice about firefox. I use it and I've never had to reboot my system to install an update. I just did an update today for firefox and it only asks to restart firefox, not the computer. Wonder if you have some type of conflict with a firefox extension and FDISR. What firefox extensions does she run?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.