What FW you would suggest (aka Sygate)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by getline, Oct 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. getline

getline Registered Member

Hello,

I would like to ask you what FW you would suggest? The goal is to have FW which would have a list of application where it would be easy to block internet connection. In tha past ( when I was using win xp) I was using sygate PF. This FW allowed easilly block any newly installed programs and was free.

Current FWs (like outpost,comodo,Windows 7 Firewall Control from Sphinx Software, etc) are mostly combined with the virus protection and very limited or not free. However some version are free, but ie. comodo don't have the program list. I would not mind the using the default windows (W7 home premium 64-bit) FW, but it is hard to setup and i don't know if the pop notification is also available.

Have you any recomendation for me?

Many thanks.

2. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Zone Alarm - the Application Control is very simple - you can decide to give a program Internet access or deny it.

Easy for a newbie to configure - either as standalone firewall or as part of a suite with AV.

Both free.

3. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Online armor is a great free firewall.:thumb:

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

To be somewhat flip the quick answer is the FW you would learn and use.

My advice FWIW is read for a day or so here and via the links

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=811957&postcount=2

It may be best to go with a easy to use product first then when you can "see" grasp the rules there move to a second product.

For myself, if I could reserect Kerio for the W7 64 bit world I go to it in a flash. It was my first love in FW's.:thumb:

When you do pick one go for the 30 day trial and see how it dovetails with your setup and test their support of lack of it.

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.