What free AV do you recommend to your non tech savy friends/family?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CrusherW9, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avman1995

avman1995 Registered Member

You know what,when someone detects 40% of new daily feed from virustotal e.g. then he's a "master of the clan", that's a reality.. AV-C and AV-test sample set must be somehow filtered, otherwise it would be impossible to achieve a detection of 90% atleast in terms of day 0.

There is little of no info on how the testbeds are created. All these 99.1% and such scores are complete nonsense from my point of view. The overlap of the product's detections is not as great as clementi/marx tests suggest.For example, what if the engine authors already had the samples and wrote the detections and Av-Comparatives added them later? We're back again in the 'testedbed construction' problem.

It seems that in day 0, the best AV gives you maximally 60-70% protection by the signatures.Yes a test is a test if done correctly but This is not an excuse, there is an explanation why you may see what you dont see. I could as well show you many samples missed by antivirus X, in the very same way.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

Hilarious enough.
    "For example, what if the engine authors already had the samples and wrote the detections and Av-Comparatives added them later"? what the heck are you talking abouto_O o_O ?
    Also, the av-c tests is not only a 0day test.
    Also, even if the test samples are filtered, they are filtered for all the av's to test. In other words, all av's are subject to the same virus samples. If a specific av could not detect a virus that has been active for some time, then it's the av's fault.
    I am not trying to persuade anyone to use or not to use any specific av program. It's up to you, you use whatever you like. I am just amused how subjective ppl can go. lol.
    As a mod said here, I am not against using any av program and recommends anything to anyone. Let's stop this test results discussion and use whatever you like.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Since CrusherW9's Post details the AV decision taken, we'll close this thread. Thank you all for participating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.