What fools we are...

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Checkout, Feb 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Thinking about this a little more, I wonder how long the Internet will stay in public ownership.  Sure, it's common knowledge that the Net grew out of Arpanet, which certainly was taxdollar funded, but who pays for it now?  Universities?  Advertising?

I guess the answer is:  we all do.  TANSTAAFI:  Like the proverbial lunch, there ain't no such thing as a free ISP.  Sooner or later, banner ads will wither and turn to dust, and we'll all begin spending more on our ISP subscriptions.

Amen to that.  (The reduction in advertising, I mean.)

2. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Public ownership? Every inch of fiber-optic cable and every router is owned by somebody. Mostly by large corporations, and some smaller ones. And little guys like me who have a server or two. The only public ownership I see is governmental websites, and university networks (that connect to corporate backbones nowdays) Without corporatate money, the Internet would die in seconds.

3. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hey
    As long we pay for using net it won´t die. And one more thing up on my mind; no tax dollars anywhere else but in USA. So please call it tax money. Thank You. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.