what fan do you use to cool your cpu ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Apr 17, 2016.

1. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

Never Ever plug the CPU fan into the Power Supply fan conectors! The main reasons for this is that when plugged in to the Motherboard the presence of the fan will be detected at POST and thus fan speed can be controlled directly from the BIOS. Also most motherboards will give an alert in case the fan dies on you so as to prevent cooking the CPU.

The case fans can be plugged into either the MB or Power Supply- but when connected to the PS it is always good practice to include a rheostat to control the speed (and noise) of the case fans.

2. burebista

burebista Registered Member

Fanless count? :D
    final_1155.jpg

It's an old picture but now is almost the same, only another GPU and another Noctua fan instead that black Scythe.

If you're talking about fans you can't go wrong with Noctua (but they're not cheap).
    If you're talking about coolers then Noctua steps in front again (yeah, you guess, it's not cheap).

And an advice from a long silent computing fan and beta tester for RealTemp/Throttlestop: CPU temps are overrated. Just be careful not to throttle your CPU and you're perfect fine at "high" temps.

3. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

I can't believe I forgot Noctua, especially as I built a system a few years ago using the excellent Noctua NH-U14S heatsink/fan combo. Plus the OP is from Germany and Noctua is Austrian, so it should be an easy get.

4. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

ahhhh, the Antec P180, the good old days :'(

5. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

Well, I should say that I've delidded my CPU, which dropped my temps by about 15C (From like 90C to 75C when running Prime95).

And yea, the cooler is big. Luckily I can take the heatsinks off my ram so they fit under the fan.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    do you let windows let handle the temperature and the fan cooling or by the bios?
    thanks

7. burebista

burebista Registered Member

I don't know others but I'm using SpeedFan to control my FanSpeed ( :D).
    I'm using it since Barton/Athlon times (I'm a dinosaur I know).

8. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

My case fans permanently run at 5v. My CPU fans are controlled by the motherboard through an rpm reducing cable and on the 'silent' profile. My GPU fans are controlled by itself.

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i mean windows power manager , between the min and max , there is another option , to let windows control the motherboard fans

ps i tried to install noctua nhd-15 but i could not do it because the fan are too tall :(:(:(

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

on my air system im using a xigmatek megahalems cooler with dual yate loons on it. works amazing. giel xtreme paste under it (heatpipe application imo needs to be done different then flat block coolers) and on all my other personal desktops that are overclocked they are on water of some sort. i also have an oil filled rig.

11. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I just replaced my old cooler, with the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, and my goodness this thing keeps temps so low.

If any of you are in search of a new cooler, I highly recommend this one. :thumb:

12. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    no problem with ram , have you tall ram ?
    can you cool osx too ?
    cheers

13. Tyrizian

They all have heavy heatsinks attached to them, a little taller than ripjaw ram, and they fit just fine with the cooler.

osx? could you elaborate more?

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  14. mantra

mantra Registered Member

about the ram , may i know have you measured them ? i mean the height before changing the cooler

in your signature there is Mac OS X 10.11.4 El Capitan , can you cool it too (just because yesterday i was rendering a video with final cut and i had temp issue)?
    thanks

15. Tyrizian

The ram stands exactly 1 inch, which is pretty tall when comparing to the traditional size, but still had no issue with fit.

As far as I know, this cooler can only be used in PC type towers, not Mac.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.