What exactly is Veloz Defender?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by CrazySquirrel, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazySquirrel

CrazySquirrel Registered Member

Mkay... I'm extremely tired and 'under the weather' so if you're reading this, sorry.

My computer's been acting up, which usually isn't that big of a deal. I scanned it, and it came up with a couple cookies and a trojan file. So I quarantined and deleted it. Just to be on the safe side, I scanned it again. Same as before, it was right there. So I thought that my ad-aware wasn't working up to par, and decided to use another scanner.

My friend told me McAfee did wonders, so I decided to try it out. I scanned it, and it didn't find anything. So I scanned it once more with ad-aware, and right after I clicked 'scan' McAfee poped up and said it found a trojan QGhost-something in ad-aware.

Anyone willing to spare a couple minutes to give my pathetic self some advice? :p This one's just got me stumped.

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

McAfee is returning a false positive. Which OS are you running on?
    Do you have a product called Veloz Defender on your computer?

3. CrazySquirrel

Windows XP

No, I don't have a product called Veloz Defender, but it's a folder in my C drive.

4. nadirah

And what's in the folder? Scan it to see if anything is found.

5. CrazySquirrel

there's two things:
    emailset.dll
    and
    velozsys

I scanned it and didn't find anything, but when I do a scan of the whole C drive, it shows up.

6. nadirah

Here's my recommended tactic:
    When I encounter files possibly left behind by an unknown program, and the anti-malware tools cannot do it, I forcefully erase the file from the computer permanently. I don't recommend working with the registry for this, unless you know what you're doing.

Use these tools:
    Eraser
    --------
    www.heidi.ie/eraser

CCleaner
    -----------
    www.ccleaner.com

Use it and clear off the file. Veloz Defender is made by a company called eAcceleration, but due to dubious practices by its company, most people recommend other anti-malware products for better protection.

Eraser setting to note:
    Erasing preferences use the default 35 passes. Check all boxes.
    CCleaner:
    Main screen:
    Check all boxes except Hotfix uninstallers, these are the uninstallers for windows updates. You may want to clear them out or not.
    Applications:
    Check all boxes.
    Issues:
    Check all boxes.
    Please inspect the tools section of the program, under uninstall and startup, see if there's anything suspicious in there.
    Options:
    Settings: English, check the first 3 boxes off, enable ccleaner auto-check for updates, choose NSA 7 passes for secure deletion.
    Cookies:
    Up to you.
    Custom:
    Up to you.
    Advanced:
    Check boxes no. 4, 5, 6, 7. Box no. 7, save all settings to .ini file is for convenience.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

8. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

9. CrazySquirrel

Thank you so much ^^ The eraser and CCleaner worked just fine. Veloz is gone. Thanks again.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

That's the same phony bunch that used to peddle StopSign on the internet. They used to force download and install it whenever as soon as you hit their webpage, aka DRIVEBY TACTIC :mad:

I recall calling them up on the phone personally since they are a west-coast firm to inquire to their much acclaimed anti-malware solution :mad:

They had the nerve to claim they detected a higher percentage than Norton's which at the time everybody and their brother had on a PC.

Needless to say they were quickly identified in the security community as "rogue" and discounted as a threat/riskware in popular security program's databases i believe. They since supposedly cleaned up their act, or so it's been said in some circles. :thumbd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.