What exactly is protected by Qidoo 360 Sandbox?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ecbritz, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecbritz

ecbritz Registered Member

The 360 Internet Security Sandbox protects something. But what is protected against what? Is the Operating System protected against a harmful program run inside the Sandbox? And is the OS also protected against a harmful website opened with a browser run inside the Sandbox? Or is the protection going the opposite direction? Is anything run, opened or saved inside the Sandbox protected against malware active in the Operating System or an attack coming from the internet?

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  2. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

All sandboxes isolate programs from the OS. Everything the program does is contained and does not affect the operating system. If the sandbox is wiped, there shall be no traces of any of it's activity. However the program has still access to your confidential data and may have the ability to keylog.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

4. Wellies

Wellies Registered Member

The sandbox doesn't protect anything by default. You have to opt to run programs or files within it. I'm running Firefox and Chrome inside the Sandbox. Done by opening the sandbox in Qihoo, then browsing to and adding the exe's for both browsers. With the browser running sandboxed, the computer should be protected in the way KelvinW4 describes.

Sandboxes don't do much if there is already malware present but if a sandbox is used on a clean system, it should give a layer of protection that prevents malware from getting onto the computer in the first place.

Firefox and Chrome are running without issue in Qihoo's sandbox but it's hard to know how well it performs or how it compares to other sandboxing programs. Right now, I'm assuming it's doing what it ought to do but perhaps only time will tell.

I don't know how well the sandbox works if a program is actually installed inside it. That's something I haven't tried yet. The sandbox is good for what I use it for but it doesn't seem very good when right-clicking a file and expecting the associated program to start and then open the file inside the sandbox. This can give rise to error messages but don't know if that's everyone's experience.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  5. Malware fighter

Malware fighter Registered Member

there is no product called qiDoo, it's QIHOO.
    Post it to original post about Qihoo, don't be graphomaniac.

6. ecbritz

ecbritz Registered Member

I got a reply to my question from support@360safe.com, to my pleasant surprise. It takes about a week but Qihoo (pronounced Chi-Hoo) does listen and does answer. The answer was: "Yes, the Sandbox provides an isolated environment from the real operating system and you can do your own operation in it." Not much to go on if you are seeking a way to do safe internet banking utilizing 360 -- the real object of asking my question. 360 Internet Security provides protection against keylogging spyware. There should be no keylogging happening on a 360-protected machine. Is this perhaps enough and is a dive into the Sandbox, to do your internet banking there, unnecessary? I tried running Bitdefender SafePay alongside 360 Internet Security today. Safepay provides a browser dedicated to secure internet shopping and internet banking. Unfortunately there was a conflict and the duo did not allow a smooth visit to my bank account. Now I'm considering using Comodo Dragon browser for my internet banking -- that should not conflict with 360. I want to replicate the security of Avast's Safe Zone somehow by using 360 or 360 plus something else. Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.