What else to use with Avast Home Edition?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Metal425, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

What else should I pair Avast Home Edition with? I stopped using NOD32, and I'm trying out Avast, then I'm going to try KAV, and Avira. I don't want to hear that Avira is better or anything, I just want to know what would be a good pair up for Avast Home edition. Currently, I just have Avast HE, Windows Firewall, and a Hardware Firewall, and Malwarebits for an On-Demand scanner, same with A-Squared for on-demand, any advice?

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I would just add a behavior blocker to avast. Maybe mamutu or threatfire Or just Avast and a sandbox/virt program like sanboxie or defensewall.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  3. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

Use a HIPS/BB, sandbox/virtualization, and imaging

4. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

I use Avast home ed. with Threatfire and GESWall free. I scan every now and then with Malwarebytes and SAS.

5. HAN

HAN Registered Member

At home, when I surf, I run under a limited user account, and use Avast, Superantispyware Pro, WinPatrol Plus, MJ Registry Watcher and the Comodo Firewall (with D+). (I also use Ad Muncher but that's not for protection. It's for fun! :) )

6. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

You didn't state which OS your using? Is it the Vista 64 bit or XP 32 bit or both?

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Greetings Metal425 :)

Avast Home 4.8 i think it is now, is a good choice.

You will get an extended combination of different many selections from members however, so here is mine if it helps.

With Avira 9 & NOD32 on different boxes respectively as my AV's of choice at present, i like to use Mamutu as a Behavioral Blocker to compliment and offset potential vectors of unknown files which might have a magic pack to evade AV detections. Also, like others, a good HIPS is useful but very cumbersome to set up and you end up having to pay a lot of attention to this type of set up.

The only No-Touch strategy i might suggest is RETURNIL RVS (free) and/or Sandboxie. I had 0 experience with GesWall so others can vouch for that alternative.

Thats about it. I would mention ProcessGuard 3.5 but not sure of it's availability right now, i got mine early luckily with no problems and it also compliments my AV w/Mamutu, only their fee products, so the above virtuals might be worth a try for you and Avast!

EASTER

8. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Easy. Sandboxie. I use SBIE and Avast Home with just the standard shield (high) and my machine runs light and secure.

Ice

9. progress

progress Guest

Nothing ;)

I'm deciding between A2 and MBAM, what do you prefer?

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

MBAM, imo a2 is the past.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm pretty happy with GeSWall Pro alongside avast!. I added Windows Defender not long ago, which can be configured to run as a full-blown HIPS by using real-time protection and configuring advanced options (including heuristics) and joining SpyNet. I happen to think WD is underrated and steadily improving. It's always beneficial to have SpywareBlaster onboard. The OS Firewall inside ZoneAlarmPro is itself a behavior blocker, so there is added protection in that. All of the programs in my signature are running very nicely together. I had ThreatFire installed but removed it because I suspected conflicts with ZAP's OS Firewall. Comodo's BOClean is supposedly doomed as a standalone product, but I'm riding it out until the bitter end. Good luck. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.