What else do I NEED? how to keep spyware out my system???

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PC-Guy, Sep 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC-Guy

PC-Guy Registered Member

Hey everyone,

I been having alot of problems with Spyware and Virus / Trojens getting into my system without my knowledge. Below is a list of the security programs I currently have and use to try and prevent spyware and or virus/trojens.

Norton Personal Firewall 2004 (up to date).

Norton AntiVirus 2004 (up to date).

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 (up to date).

Lavasoft Adware (free and up to date).

My Firewall is set to HIGH. I have had to re-format my hard drive several times due to spyware. Can someone :oops: give me tips on how to properly configure my firewall and AntiVirus programo_O

I DON'T run my AntiVirus in the background, SHOULD I o_O :'(

I only have running my Firewall and the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1.

Even after formatting my hard drive and starting with a clean system I downloaded the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 and STILL Spyware was able to GET IN my system and this Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 DID NOT DETECT nor STOP IT nor did it give me any warning.

Can someone advise me on what's going ono_O What other programs should I useo_O

I don't visit much website, I stop using Internet Explorer and I'm now using FireFox Browser (the new one). I only use IE for certain websites that require IE.

Thanks Everyone!

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey PC-Guy, welcome to Wilders!

Yes you need to have your Anti-Virus running. That will be the biggest defense against spyware getting on your system. Make sure you have automatic updates turned on as well. This will help keep your system safe.

As far as additional anti-spyware software, I recommend using SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D. These will help stop spyware from ever getting on your system.

For protection from Trojans, I recommend using Ewido or A-Squared.

I hope this helps :)

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I would also add these FREEWARES

IE-SPYAD
    http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/resource.htm
    This preventing tool will add thousands of infected websites in the Restricted Zones of MS Internet Explorer.

MVPS Hosts
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    OR
    Bluetack’s HOSTS File (much larger, more protection)
    http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/in...?showtopic=8406
    Bluetack's HOSTS file will cause a much longer scan-time of MS Anti-Spyware.

Replace you Windows Hosts File with MVPS or Bluetack Hosts File.
    After that you can't visit these infected websites anymore with any browser.

HostsMan
    http://hostsman.abelhadigital.com/
    Very practical software to manage your Hosts File

Mozilla Firefox
    http://www.mozilla.org/
    Use this browser for surfing and searching on the internet, much SAFER and CONVENIENT.
    Keep your MSIE for Windows Update and safe websites.
    You can use both at the same time.

Mozilla Thunderbird
    http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/
    Replace MS Outlook with Thunderbird.
    Thunderbird is safer, easier and above all faster and has an excellent anti-spam system.
    99%-100% of my spam is removed by Thunderbird in just one second.
    You also can read your incoming emails in text mode, not HTML-mode, which is also safer.

CCleaner
    http://www.ccleaner.com/ccdownload.asp
    To clean your history and (tracking) cookies.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  4. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Here's a couple of tried and trusted Very good Apps that i have been using successfully for some time now, in addition to the ones above. All are Free and really do help protect me daily.

. . .

Winsonar 2005 XP is a program specifically designed for process monitoring and system protection from unknown processes: the program detectes new processes permanently installed into memory while system is working off-line, offering also an active Internet protection, by optional automatic termination of any unknown process trying to load itself into memory when the system is on line.

http://digilander.libero.it/zancart/winsonar.html

WinPatrol 9.7

WinPatrol uses a heuristic approach to detecting attacks and violations of your computing environment. Traditional security programs scan your hard drive searching for previously identified threats. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. You'll be removing dangerous new programs while others download new reference files.

WinPatrol isn't the only software we recommend for complete safety but with Scotty on Patrol you'll find yourself informed on what's going on inside your computer. WinPatrol puts you back in control of your computer so you'll know what programs are and should be running at all times.

http://www.winpatrol.com/

. . .

StevieO

5. goodquestion

goodquestion Guest

Along with what you're already running, I would suggest changing your browser to either Firefox or Opera. That alone should make a noticeable difference.

Also be careful where you surf, avoid p0rn sites and P2P, both are loaded with spyware/malware. Also be more careful what you download and where you download it from. Don't open email you aren't expecting.

You could also try a program like Prevx home (free), and/or maybe AntiHook (free) if you feel you can handle them after you visit their websites to check them out.
    http://www.prevx.com/prevxhome.asp http://www.infoprocess.com.au/AntiHook.php

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

All I can say is that since I switched to Firefox a couple of years ago I havent had any spyware in my computer, even tho I sometimes visit the darker side of internet.. A couple of times every year I use antispyware programs to check if something new has happend - never finds anything else than some tracking cookies from IE, wich I use now and then when I want to see a flash movie or something.

My NOD32 used to trapp some viruses from websites that was trying to install via java (within firefox). I just turned off java in Firefox and that problem was gone. Never understood why java should be enabled in the first place. I dont think I ever had any use of it while surfing.

So your best bet is Firefox with extensions like noscript and you will get rid of atleast 99% (or 100% in my case) of the spyware and all antispywre programs becomes obsolete. Well, maybe a bold statement, but atleast I dont have any use of things like hijackthis, spybot s&d and so on anymore. I guess the same goes for Opera?

I have a decent AV and FW and processguard, thats it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Yes you should run your antivirus in the background. That is the way Symantec(Norton) intended their AV to be run. I suggest you also purchase BOClean an Anti-trojan program to back up your AV. For tips on configuration Randy Bell may be able to help as he is quite knowledgeable where Norton is concerned.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I concur. I had the same experience with Firefox.
    Each time I have the opportunity, I run the trial version of the best scanners, just to verify my discipline on internet/computer and using non-security softwares, like Firefox/Thunderbird and even these scanners aren't able to find anything on my computer.

Opera is even safer than Firefox, when you read the qualified posts at Wilders,
    but since I use Thunderbird, I'm married with Mozilla, so I keep on using Firefox, until it has more security holes than MSIE6.

I configured my Thunderbird in the most convenient and time-saving way :
    - I open Thunderbird
    - I get my new emails and all my spam-emails are moved to the trash folder in one second
    - I close Thunderbird and all my spam-emails are deleted automatically.
    It can't be easier and I have still the possibility of reading my spam-emails and even saving them, if I want to.
    There is only one good spam-email : an ignored/deleted spam-email.
    Unfortunately too many people still open and read their spam-emails and that's where the trouble begins.

9. The Hammer

I have to ask a question here. Can IE be made as secure as Firefox from within IE's settings without a lot of effort? Also could it not be argued that IE is secure also because when software designers create security products such as AV's and Firewalls etc, they do so with IE in mind and not Firefox? I'm not challenging anyone as I have been considering using Firefox.

10. rawr

rawr Registered Member

11. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I mentioned that in the 2nd post ;)

12. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

It is possible to make IE as safe as possible yes. But based on track record it just seems that as safe as possible for IE, is not as good as the equalavant state in firefox.

It just seems that IE tends to be attacked more (due to audience size/poor design??), and is patched a lot slower.

Still a 100% locked down IE, with Active scripting,Java, Activex turned off, would be secure enough I expect.

But if you want some functionality say javascript on, I would be much more
    comfortable with Firefox than IE fpr the above reasons.

Java is another problem, but assuming Sun java is used for both, the risks are
    generally equalavant. Just keep updating your Java (a lot of people don't do this) and be wary about accepting signed java applets unless you really trust the signer.

I highly doubt it

Firewall : All web-browsers work exactly the same from the point of view of , filtering of packets.

AV: If the AV is set to scan all files, whether it is firefox or IE makes no difference. Also My real time AV scanner picks up stuff in the cache whether it comes from firefox or IE. Then there is HTTP/web proxy AV scanners in NOD32 and AVAST, again generic should work for all browsers. I wouldn't rule out some AVs such as Norton being excesssivly tested only for IE so gliches in this might be possible.

Anti-ad/spyware: This is I think the only class of software that could be argued to work best for IE. Because IE is by far the most attacked browser, for adware, hijackers, drivebys, many AS are specificly designed for IE mechanisms. BHOS, cookies (nowdays a lot of cleaners support firefox as well), homepages and other settings etc.

But then again , Firefox seldom needs this because its not targetted. Still it could be cool to have some software that is firefox specific, that monitors your homepage for changes etc or other changes to settings. or warns you that some new plugin or extension is installed just in case, a way is found to bypass the xpi installtion dialogs etc.

13. The Hammer

Thank's for the reply Pollmaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.