What elite hackers do upon seeing an iMac in their fancy hotel rooms

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Minimalist, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

LOL!! I am sitting in a private home with what I believe is a locked down computer laptop. My CAM and Mic's are covered with tape, so I understand being proactive.

3. Minimalist

Tape - a best security tool for laptop camera. :) I have camera on my work laptop covered also.

4. Kiebler

Kiebler Registered Member

Same here. Finally was able to use my lost EFF stickers for this particular task. :)

5. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

You guys make me feel sane. Same here. :D

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

My five year old laptop which is the main laptop I use doesn't even have a camera, so no issues for me ;)
    Also, my old HEL80 has a sliding cover over the webcam, which you manually slide to uncover the webcam when you want to use it, and than then slide back to cover it when you are done.

However, due to me being trusting and not even the slightest bit paranioid, on computers with an uncovered webcams, I actually don't cover them.

For those that are concerend about unauthorised use of their webcams, I just found a website which sells webcam covers.
    http://www.webcamcover.com/

7. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

When I got my custom desktop in 2007, I specifically ensured that I would have no camera and microphone. Can't be too careful!

8. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Yeah I made it a point to elect not to have a webcam on the mobile workstation I just bought. Even better than a strip of tape is to not have the lens there in the first place.

9. cb474

cb474 Registered Member

I guess it's an argument for just having an external webcam that you can plug in only when you want to use it. On the other hand, there are fewer and fewer laptops you can purchase, these days, without a webcam. So tape it is!

The microphone is a more difficult question. I don't know how effective taping over the microphone is.

It would be nice if someone simply designed a laptop with on/off switches for the microphone and webcam. Not switches to trigger some software based disabling of the devices. But switches that actually physically break the circuit of the wires that connect the devices.

10. Minimalist

SOMEONE’S ALWAYS WATCHING: HACKER SENDS WOMAN PHOTOS OF HER EVENING FROM HER OWN WEBCAM
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/hacker-sends-woman-photos-from-her-own-webcam/

11. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.