What does Windows DDE Server mean on computer shut down?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

It said it was not responding when shutting down a PC. It has XP on it. Firefox froze earlier and i don't know if its related to that or not. Does Adobe reader have anything to do with it as well? Its on my friend's computer and she has 6.0 for adobe reader.

2. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Try setting the service Network DDE and Network DDE Server (don't know exactly what they are called in English) to manual.

Adobe Reader might have something to do with it since I have read that some people have gotten rid of this by using Foxit Reader instead. If you really want to use Adobe Reader then you should go to the current version, 6.0 is slightly outdated :p

3. cheater87

Do you think everything will be fine if she just get the latest version of Adobe Reader or if she installs Fox it? Would it affect Firefox browser in any way or affect the browser from getting auto update notice whenever there's update for Firefox since this happened or no?

4. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

I have a Server 2003 system that's set to manual and an XP machine where it's disabled (both services). I get the notifications for Firefox updates on both, so I doubt that it has anything to do with that. According to BlackViper, disabled is the default on XP SP3. I suggested setting it to manual because I remember someone on another forum fixing it by doing so. Another fixed it by switching to Foxit.

Since Adobe Reader 6.0 needs to go one way or another, uninstall it and see if the error message goes away. If that does it, I would install Foxit or PDF-XchangeViewer instead. Both are lighter and faster and don't have nearly as many security issues.

5. cheater87

She wants to know if she will still get automatic updates for adobe flash letting her know a new version is available if she switches to foxit or security bug fix updates etc?

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Yes, flash is separate piece of software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.