what do you think?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by majorgeek, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorgeek

majorgeek Banned

I read some good reviews of this product on other on-line sites so I thought I'd try it. As many in "Download.com's" "Negative" reviews pointed out, it works fine for a couple of weeks or so and then all Hell breaks loose. Actually, I'm not even sure I'd say it worked okay before it began its crash: Often it would detect a virus but would claim to be unable to delete it or quarantine it. I'd note where it was and then manually go there to rid my OS of the supposed virus. Anyway, my OS is WIN98SE, and when NOD32 began its crashing it took my OS with it, with repeated OS crashes, unable to start, repeated Kernel32 faults, etc. Re-loading WIN98 failed to stop this massive product failure. I almost had to re-format my hard drive. Fortunately, after un-installing NOD32 and doing a thorough Regedit I'm okay now. But what a nightmare! This may be a good product on a newer OS, but I found it to be a disaster on WIN98. Use at your own risk!

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

majorgeek,

Do you have a link to the negative reviews on download.com?

3. majorgeek

majorgeek Banned

4. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hey ronjor
    At download.com they have two versions for d/l with the user(s) responses.
    I am not sure which one 'majorgeeks' was talking about, but I present them here, directly to the users comments, for your perusal.
    I have NOD and it works great for me on my XP machine(s), so I am not on any bandwagon.

http://www.download.com/NOD32-Standard-Version-Windows-NT-2000-XP-/3640-2239_4-10475647.html

http://www.download.com/NOD32-Standard-Version-Windows-95-98-Me-/3640-2239_4-10475646.html?v=1

I have never heard of NOD doing that, but then, I do not use Win98.
    EDIT
    While I was typing this 'majorgeeks' posted his response.....
    Hey 'majorgeeks', it would appear that you read and d/l the version for xp, (your link points to the xp version) and NOT the one that they listed for Windows 98. Could this be the reason for your predicament?

Cheers :)

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I see that NOD32 Standard Version (Windows NT/2000/XP) 2.5 was added to download.com on December 14, 2005. It has been downloaded 216,493 times with three negative reviews.

6. majorgeek

majorgeek Banned

Sorry about that I ment to post both the links Like you did But It looks like I forgot Too...Sorry about that.....

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

One negative review dated 28-Mar-2004, located here on download.com is a duplicate of your post.

8. scorpionzero

scorpionzero Registered Member

NOD32 version 2.50.44 for WinME and Win98SE works fine for my mates O/S. She install windows 98SE, install IE6 SP1, connect to Microsoft Update Website,scan for update,download all update and install.Then she install NOD32.She start use NOD32 from last year until now with no problem.Frequently update the virus database and still no problem at all.She using Microsoft Office 2000 and always read/sent e-mail with Outlook Express.Not a single problem she face until today.BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) appear but that is not from NOD32 but for another application.She only use Pentium 3 550MHz with 256 SDRAM (quite an old system) and built-in display Vodoo 3.Great for NOD32.:-*

9. majorgeek

majorgeek Banned

I guess it all depends on your operating system, your ram And etc.... ANd It also Has to do with personal opinions which each one of us will have diffrent. And I guess in my opinion I just Dont like nod32.

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

We all have different opinions.

Maybe at a future date, you could give it another try. There are plenty of people here in the NOD forum that are willing to help you with any problems you may have.

Just for information's sake, I also used NOD on Win98SE in the past and had no problems.

11. scorpionzero

Yep its true its all about personal opinion. If you go to <Removed link to rogue site- Ron> it show that NOD32 in 5th place for top 10 antivirus.Not bad.I also use NOD32 and my friends use IS2006 = Internet Security 2006 (PC-Cillin).We sometimes compare which viruses/trojan can or cannot clean for each antivirus program.Maybe IS2006 have a built in firewall but NOD32 doesn't have.But its ok.I only use default Windows firewall.All the boys here a hardcore gamers and all their system using Pentium 4 Extreme Edition with HT support.With a massive DDR2 RAM and hard disk their choice is NOD32 because they said NOD32 doesn't 'eat' much RAM if you playing games the system is smooth.I dont know if this true or not. Sometimes if my NOD32 cannot clean a virus I just transfer the infected diskette or flash drive to my mate to clean it.And if sometime if her antivirus cannot clean, she transfer it to my pc and clean it.The problem occur if none of our antivirus can clean the virus....:D

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2006
  12. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I'm sorry, but, Majorgeek if you were quoting some other webpage in a posting here, please properly designate your post as a quote and link to the original webpage. That is TOS for quoting other people's materials. As it is, some people might think you wrote the first post in this thread as a "new personal experience" and not as a copy/paste of something written two years ago.

Attached Files:

13. scorpionzero

Hmm..2004 what a quite few years back..maybe that time NOD32 have several bugs to fix.:p

14. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Given that the thread starter also copied another person's content over here, and a third one here, we're closing this thread since it seems they are less than sincere in the posting of "their own true observations". :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.