What do you think of this

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Last edited: May 23, 2007
  2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

Looks like I paid for something I could have gotten for free (on one machine, at least).

Now I'm hoping Western Digital offers an OEM version of ShadowProtect. :D

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.:D

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I guess no one thinks anything of the offer from Seagate and Maxtor. I'm going for Shadow Protect shortly, but I figured some folks would check the link out and give an opinion.:blink:

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well you know my feelings about acronis and how it didnt work on my pc and only halfed removed.
    so i think they should offer a better imaging program with the drives:thumbd:
    acronis 9/10 is the norton 2003 of the imaging world.
    aka bloated dont work and hard to uninstall
    lodore

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

lodore, you really must have had a serious uncompatibility there...
    Could have been too many registry / hips / monitoring / etc??
    Mrk

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah it sux a bit that i paid for something which i can now get for free. I only have an external seagate hdd but i'm pleased that i can use this software for all my drives. The good thing about this is i can now have imaging software on all my systems.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well it used to make images ok on normal compressionbut not on high compression.
    then it made corropt images on normal compression
    even after i changed the ram it still made a corropt image.
    then the other day i found out i was using a beta slicon image raid driver from 2003 so i updated it to a stable version.
    i wouldnt of minded as much if it uninstalled cleanly.
    but it didnt.
    i still have the acronis snapman driver and a seduleler service from acronis even thou i uninstalled it.
    so ive got a half uninstalled acronis.
    at least i can use paragon to create images and that works fine.
    my only realtime protection is kis6.0 and my brain:D
    lodore

9. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Lodore

You keep making the same point - that Acronis doesn't work on your pc.
    That it doesn't work is unfortunate, but it does not allow you to reasonably conclude that the program is no good and to continually run it down. I have tried 3 or 4 imaging programs in the last few weeks including Paragon and SP and neither worked properly for me. As I only tested these programs on old machines in need of a reformat and reinstall I do not feel that I could fairly criticise any of these programs. Try Acronis on a clean system and the probability that it will work properly will increase considerably. Even if it doesn't work - move on and buy a program that does work in your situation.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I was explaining it to Mrkvonic
    he asked me what the problem was so i answered.
    simple as that.
    i was gonna forget about acronis but then Mrkvonic asked about it.
    i might install acronis upstairs on my old pc and see if it makes a succfull image.
    if it does then fine.
    if not then well....
    you complain when i talked about acronis.
    you complain when i say paragon works for me....
    lodore

11. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Sorry - perhaps I misread post #5 ? I hadn't realized that you were replying to
    Mrkvonic before he had written :D

I don't recall complaining about you saying Paragon was fine - I have never knowingly meant to do so.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok lets just say acronis dont work on my pc and leave it at that.
    kaspersky dont work on some pc's but it works like a dream on my pc.
    so i will not mention it again.
    but i will reccomend paragon to people asking for reccomendations for imaging software.
    lodore

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

12 posts and still no one has commented on the free OEM type Acronis image app. Did any body check out the link? Does any body think it a good app? A bad app? Too much trimmed out? Good enough for the average user?:D

14. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

I hope this acronis-seagae-maxtor stuff includes Western Digital drives soon, or WD partners with Paragon for free PDB for WD users :D

15. prius04

16. farmerlee

For a freebie the app is excellent imo. I have it installed right now. It allows me to image or clone a drive which is all i need plus it works for all my other harddrives which are not seagate. They've also included a link to purchase the full acronis trueimage with a 40% discount. Great stuff!

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Prius04 - Thanks for the post. I never would have followed it to there. I just wonder if the app is good enough. My needs are simple. I will just do full backups.

Farmerlee - Thanks for the feed back. I have a single Seagate HD so it should take. The 40% discount got my attention! :D ( Did you notice any time limit on the discount?)

18. prius04

NP! :) Currently my needs are rather simple as well; pretty much just full backups only. I do, however, use the scheduling feature in ATI 10 to backup a couple of systems each night.

Re the discount, I don't see where that's a huge issue because the 40% discount is taken off the *full* retail price of $49.99. So, although $29.99 is better than full retail, Newegg always seems to have the downloadable version for a little less than 2 bucks more and the boxed product for $29.99 plus shipping......no need to rush. ;)

19. farmerlee

Nah i can't see any time limit for the offer on the website so i have no idea how long its valid for.

Another great feature of the new discwizard is it works on windows 2003 which is a great for me as i primarily use 2003. The standard trueimage 10 does not unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.