What do you know about Singapore?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by nadirah, Dec 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

What do You know about Singapore?

Absolutely NO Googling

I always find it funny to hear what others think of Singapore... mainly because of the way we speak our english...
    Yes, We do live in HDB blocks.:D

So ... What do you know about Singapore? :D

2. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Hey,

Not much really. Mainly get most of the info from your posts. I know that Bob Hope And Bing Crosby Did a "Road" movie about your home base but thats about it. Sounds like a great place!

Play on, big ed

3. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

That it is beautiful, and the pupils there were the tops in math and science,from your prior post.I think I will do some research and learn more!

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Lived there for 6 months at the Raffles..then in and out for many years..and I left my chewing gum in KL ;) did not want to live with the temptation.
    How many 8th grader took that test in Singapore? In the US, 20,000 were included in that group and they never study for tests. ;) Test scores fell for Singapore on that 2003 readout compared to when they started doing it in 1999...for the US..which usually helps set the mean average for that testing..they have improved each year..I have never hired any eight graders..unless they know how to work a slide rule ?

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I remember:

Bugis Street
    Peoples Park
    Cellar Bar
    Champagne Bar
    Satay Club
    Pulau Bukom

etc. etc. ;)

But all before you were born Nadirah

6. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Not very much, I must admit :doubt:
    But I heard they prepare fine Singapore Sling and that
    it's a nice place to be. :)

7. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

I happen to know a lot about Singapore. More than most people with the exception of those that live there. Singapore is like my second home.

I work on ships and my first time to Singapore, my ship went into the shipyard at Sembawang. I doubt many people know about that area of Singapore because it is far outside the main city. The US and Australia have a liason Navy base there.

One of the reasons, that Singapore allows the US and Australians in is because Singapore has numerous disputes with Malaysia. Some of the disputes are over water but there are disagreements over other things. Malaysia did not want Singapore when it was mostly a swamp land but now that it is the crown jewel of SE Asia, Malaysia would probably like that prime bit of real estate back...only the US and Australia would not let that stand.

Singapore.....Changi Airport.....definite best airport in the world. Anyone that ever lands there knows why. From the time you walk off the plane until you walk out to the taxi is usually about 20 minutes. No long lines...no big hassles. Everything is quick, efficient, clean and no corruption.

My favorite city in the world. You could go to the very worst section of Singapore and walk around at 3 AM in the morning and nothing will happen. Safest city for street crime in the world bar none. No corrupt immigration officials, police officials or custom officials. No screaming beggars asking you for money wherever you go.

Anyone that wants to see the contrast go to Manila or Jakarta. You dont have to worry about the taxi cab driver taking you to a bad neighborhood and robbing you with his friends. This can and does happen in places like Bangkok, Manila and Jakarta for those that cant speak the local language and know where they are going.

Speaking of language most people in Singapore can speak English because it is the official government language although Chinese, Malay, and Indian are also spoken.

My girlfriend is Indonesian so I understand a little Malay. Aku cinta Singapura!!!!

I know from Orchard Road to Sentosa to World Trade Center (where people take ferry to Batam and Bintam) to Jurong Bird Park to China Town to Peoples Park to Concorde Hotel to Raffles Hotel to Hotel 88 to Bugis to Great World to Suntec City. Singapura is my favorite city!!!

Yes, I know Singapura, Hah!!! or the ladies would say Yes, I know Singapura, Lah!!!!

Starrob

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  8. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

Wow starrob, you sure know Singapore quite well... and thanks for saying that our airport is NUMBER 1 !!!
    Which airport best? Singapore one of course BEST lah!!! :D:D

9. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

I was only in Singapore about three weeks ago. I wish I was there now because the Northeast USA is very, very cold now.

I have been to Singapore so many times over the past five years that I have lost count. Sometimes, I am just transiting Singapore on the way to my job on the ship. Other times, I go there for vacation.

For anyone traveling to SE Asia from the East Coast of the USA, it is probably preferable to fly to Singapore first. My reasons for doing this is because most flights leaving from the East Coast of the USA tend to arrive in SE Asia very late at night. Singapore is the most user friendly airport in the world and it is not intimidating for those that speak English only.

Usually after a 20 to 28 hour flight with layovers, all I want is a nice hotel which Singapore has many of. I sometimes go to places like Bangkok, Manila, and Jakarta and even though I am now familiar with all of those places they can be intimidating places at night if a person does not speak the local language.

Manila and Jakarta are especially dangerous....very high crime and lots of people asking for money...lots of hassles. Even the police are corrupt in these places and can be just as likely to rob/hurt you as the criminals/terrorists. I hate dealing with all those hassles in the middle of the night while I am tired so I just go to Singapore....I land where it is safe, the taxi cab drivers friendly and Singapore just makes me feel so comfortable.

Usually after I get over jet lag, I go visit my girlfriend in Jakarta or even better I bring her to Singapore. Many people from Indonesia love Singapore with good reason. Anyone that has been to the pollution filled, crime infested, bomb warning, terrorist filled, traffic loving cities of Jakarta, Manila and Bangkok knows what I am talking about.

Singapore clean AIR....I can breathe....Singapore has pollution laws!!! Bangkok, Manila, Jakarta....I sometimes get physically ill because the air pollution is so bad.

Singapore is centrally located in SE Asia and it is a relatively short flight to most places in Asia. Thailand, Philippines, Indonesia, Mainland China, Vietnam and Malaysia are all very near. Go to Singapore first it is like a breath of FRESH AIR!!!!

Starrob

10. NotMuch

NotMuch Guest

All the women appear to be very beautiful though. At least from what I've seen.

11. big ed

big ed Registered Member

I know that there are things called "Singapore Slings". A couple two many and you fall down a lot!

Drink on, big ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.