What do you guys do with the Windows user mode driver service?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Matt_Smi, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

This is a service that gets installed when you either get Windows media player 10 or install SP2 (i noticed it after i got WMP10, I still run SP1). It runs in the background as a process called Wdfmgr.exe. I am the type of user who tries to disable every unnecessary service and background processes that I can without causing system instability. In fact when my computer is running no programs it is only running 20 processes in the background. This is the description of this service from http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

So are these types of drivers being used yet? Does anyone have this service disabled? I think I am just going to disable it until it becomes needed.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  2. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

I'd destroyed this thing last time I saw it... off my startup for good.

but my system was reinstalled soon afetr. running SP1a now, so can't say.

try it out for a few days... if any prog is using WDF, it'll shout and you can then change your settings IF necessary.

try www.blackviper.com too

3. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

www.blackviper.com is under costruction...
    and my saved copy f the relevannt page ha no entry

sorry

4. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Windows User Mode Driver Framework is set to manual (I suspect that is the default) on my system and is not currently started or executing in the background. If it is running on your system, then perhaps you already have a driver that is making use of it. It sounds like a great idea if Microsoft can get most vendors to switch to a user mode driver development model. I don't really know the limitations of this, though. It probably only works for certain types of drivers.

5. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

Mine has been set to automatic ever since I got the update. Switching it to manual is a good idea though, and then if something does need it, it will start. I will try that later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.