What do "YOU" do after fresh os install?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by RTistic, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTistic

RTistic Registered Member

Im very curious what you wilders do after you do a fresh os install. Things like install microsoft updates, loading your security software, making images etc..

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Personally I like the following procedure:

1. Fresh OS install -> Drivers Installation -> Activation of the OS -> Defrag -> Take an Image (My basic and most important image).

2. Update windows -> Take a second image.

3. Install my essential software, configure the OS and the programs, defrag -> And guess what? I take image an again. :p

4. Install my security software, configure them and take a final image.

ps1. The first step is done only once. I never reinstall my OS again; when is needed I restore that image and I have a perfectly clean OS.

ps2. Actually there are also some intermediate steps between the images that have to do with FD-ISR archives.

Panagiotis

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  3. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

About the same as described by pandlouk,only that i use Paragon HDD manager,and the 3rd backup is after i install all the programs without the security ones(which usuallly are av+firewall)becouse i don't trust them working as they should after a backup,and reinstall them only takes a few minutes anyway.

4. RTistic

RTistic Registered Member

Could you shed some light on this. What would be the benefit?? Something goes wrong its a quicker recovery? Also which imaging software do u use.

Thanks for sharing pandlouk!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2008
  5. Arup

Arup Guest

Fresh install, all drivers, turn off indexing and system restore, clean prefetch and boot, apply AV then SP and all patches. Then install software and finally defrag, system files first boot time and then regular.

6. pandlouk

You are welcome.

Imaging software that I prefer (those that have never-ever failed me).
    Freeware: DriveImage XML
    Shareware: Drive Snapshot, Image for Windows, paragon.

All of the above are extremly reliable. :thumb:

About FirstDefense-ISR Pro. It is an instant recovery software that gives you the ability to have up to 10 Windows Operating Systems on the same partition. You can use any combination of 2000, XP, XP 64, Vista and Vista 64 (and their various service packs). It also gives you the ability to export the OSes as archives (something between an image and a backup fuction, but more flexible than both of them).
    It can be used as an OS instant recovery program (it's primary function), as a multiboot system of different OSes or different configurations of the same OS, etc., etc. It is only limited by the users imagination. Let's just say that is the Inspector Gadget in the windows world. :p

Between step 1 and 2 I install FD-ISR and export the Os to an archive. The same (export to archive) is done between 2 and 3, etc. It is not it's speed (the first time that you take or restore an archive it needs some minutes; it depends from the size of the OS) that I love, but it's extreme flexibility.

Panagiotis

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

It's important to have an image of an ACTIVATED Windows + Drivers.
    Activation via internet isn't possible anymore after a period of 3 or 4 months and then you have to activate via phone, which isn't so convenient anymore, more than 100 digits are involved without any mistake or you can start all over again + you have to explain why you want to install Windows again.
    Instead of installing Windows manually (about 40-60 minuts), I restore this image, which takes less than 1 minut.
    Doing less or nothing and getting much in return is my favorite hobby, I'm lazy.

I have other images of course, but most of them are already mentioned.

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    when i first got my pc i sorted out the partitions during installation. so the first thing i done was format all my partitions. then i moved all the C:\users\user folders such as pictures,downloads etc to F:\users\name\
    i then stuck in my paragon winpe disc and imaged C: to my second internal hard drive.
    i then installed my security software and updated windows.
    install drivers.
    then slowly installed my apps.
    then when i reinstalled vista i just installed secuirty software and updated to service pack 1,install drivers then installed apps.
    partitions make things so much eaiser.
    reinstalling the OS is a breeze since all my music and documents is on my second partition. so i installed my media app and just import the music in the the libary which takes around 1minute.

9. HURST

HURST Registered Member

My steps:

Zero HDD
    Format disk into 2 partitions
    Install XP
    Install drivers
    Install Windows Updates
    INCREMENTAL IMAGE
    Install Security Software
    Install Office
    Install rest of software
    Update all software
    INCREMENTAL IMAGE
    Restore my data into D: partition
    Run Ccleaner
    Defrag
    INCREMENTAL IMAGE

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

bit extreme isnt it?
    so your acually backup your data on to another device and zero your hard drive when you reinstall your os?

11. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I install a SP image of a fresh Vista install I did when I installed Vista for the first time. Every now and then I load the image to get the latest hot fixes so I dont have to take them all when I use it for real and re image it incrementally so the updates are in the incrementals.
    Also I have all my essential software already installed in that image once and for all.
    So I update the software and Vista to the latest and install additional software that I dont have in the image.
    If I want XP for some reason I import a FDISR archive with a fresh XP install and then update it to the latest.

12. HURST

HURST Registered Member

My data is periodically backed up to an external HDD, using Karen's replicator.
    When reformat is due to an infection, I zero. When it's routine maintenance, just normal format.

13. ErikAlbert

Same here. I don't even backup my actual system partition anymore, too risky for getting infected images.
    I (zero), restore, upgrade and backup a clean image and that is my new actual system partition.

14. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes, most efficient way to make ends meet. :thumb:

15. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Fortunately, I haven't had to do an install since I changed from Win98 to Win2000. If I had to do a re-install, I would use the same plan I've had since beginning computing:

1) Install OS - Win2000 and SP4

2) Install firewall

3) Install programs - do any necessary updates

4) Copy files from backup disk

5) Copy programs' configuration settings (.ini and .reg files) from backup disk
    (when I install a program, after configuring, I back up its configuration file)

that's it!

----
    rich

16. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Same as pandlouk but unconnected to the internet until I can install my AV which I burned before the install. Once got infected with internet connected before I could even install my AV. The AV still needs updating but I get latest version at least.

17. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Do you remember how this infection occurred? What was the infection? Was your firewall activated?

--

18. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Sorry, it was years ago. I was either getting driver's or getting updates. Never used a firewall except Windows and a router but neither was installed then. Knock on wood but one of the only viruses I ever got.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Wow, Rich, I am always amazed when I hear or see people who have had the same install for a long time. I have a friend also who has had his Win2k install for over 5 years now without ever reformatting. I usually manage to hose something one way or another pretty fast, and if not, then boredom sets in and I want a change.

My procedure is:

1) Install OS (usually XP, sometimes 2k, sometimes Linux)
    2) Install Office
    3) Fully update via Microsoft Update (gets both XP/2k and Office updated)
    4) Make an image immediately after that.
    5) Install apps
    6) Make one more image of current setup

That's it.

20. spider_darth

spider_darth Registered Member

Just curious..

Why do u image after step 1 and step 2? If you need to restore an image, won't u normally restore step 2's image since you can start updating windows from there?

And, why do u install essential programs, before security programs?

21. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hello Kerodo,

Yes, I used to re-install a lot in Win9x days. I was always playing with utilities, and after a while it was a good feeling just to start over fresh with nothing on the HD but the OS!

Win2000 came along and it's been very stable. I don't make too many changes any more. Also Deep Freeze keeps the system partition clean - automatic housecleaning on each reboot!

As you know I'm just east of you, and we are all watching the fires, esp. in Santa Barbara.

take care,

----
    rich

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Win2000 is probably the best effort by MS IMO. Nice and clean and fast. I am using XP now cause a few things don't work right in 2k anymore, one being my DVD burner. For some reason I can't burn DVDs and copying from them is painfully slow. That plus a few other programs that don't run on 2k. But I used it for years myself and loved it.

I am still searching for the perfect Linux distro, but till I find it, it's XP for me. I rely in images for backup just in case.

Yep, I heard about the fires from friends in that area. Hope they get them under control soon.

23. pandlouk

Hi spider_darth,

Step 1 image serves most when there is a new OS service pack in town. I restore that one, install the service pack and take a new baseline image.

Step 2 image serves in case something goes wrong during the installation of the essential programs. I guess it is a remaining habit from the time I connected with 56k; waiting another 2-3 hours for reinstalling the updates was a no-no for me. Anyway with todays ultrafast connections it's not needed anymore.
    This one is an interesting question.
    I always advice the others to image without any security programs. Their low level hooking and hidden drivers can cause big trouble if something goes wrong during their installation or uninstallation. It is much easier to start with a clean image than to troubleshoot problems caused by security apps.
    If you install first a security program and after a year want to change or upgrade you will have to face uninstalling your previous security setup, eliminating the drivers, the files and the registry keys that are left behind. Instead with this method you simple restore that image and you are ready to go with the new installation. ;)

Panagiotis

24. ErikAlbert

I have an off-line snapshot without malware & anti-malware. That's where I do my job and hobbies without any disturbance and no internet connection.
    My second snapshot is on-line for doing all the dirty jobs and testings.

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,

Depends on the OS, but I guess the question is for Windows ...?

If so:

1. Drivers.
    2. Image.
    3. Basic software that I find necessary.
    4. Image.
    5. Updates.
    6. Image.
    7. All software I want and need.
    8. Image.

No special tweaking, except to use classic theme, a few minor functions here and there, like disable caching of thumbnail, show extensions, show hidden files, disable autorun etc...

Verify everything works ... of course ... including heavy gaming, p2p, internet connectivity in all ... if satisfied after 1-2 weeks or so, let it be.

Mrk
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.