What do you consider to be the ONE BEST FREEWARE PROGRAM of all time?

Discussion in 'polls' started by sk, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sk

sk Registered Member

I must admit this poll was inspired by a recent surfing experience. I went to a site to try to link up a new avatar picture. When I right clicked on the image, a message popped up saying that the right click option had been disabled on the site because the webmaster did not want any images downloaded. While in fact I did and do respect that, I was still 'curious' as to just how effective the Proxomitron filter would be in overriding the block. So I fired up Proxo, reconfigured my connection, made sure 'allow right mouse clicks' was checked, refreshed the screen, and BINGO. It really works!

As I thought about that, and how many other things Proxo does, and the fact that it's been around seemingly forever and continues to not only keep pace but set the standard in so many areas, it made me realize that even though it's always been a hard program for me to use, no less master, it definitely ranks at the top of my "All Time Favorite" freeware list. So I wanted to post this and see what Freeware programs other members would nominate as their one single all time favorite.

sk

2. jucabala

jucabala Guest

Re:What do you consider to be the BEST FREEWARE PROGRAM of all time?

1)Proxomitron
    2)Jv16 PowerTools
    3)Slowview
    4)Bloodshed Dev-Pascal and Free Pascal

there are many others but i can't remember right now

3. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Re:What do you consider to be the BEST FREEWARE PROGRAM of all time?

Mandrake - Apache - Caldera OpenDOS

4. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Narrowed it down to Adshield and JV16, but now I really can´t choose.
    It was hard enough to eliminate Startup Control Panel, Spybot S&D, Regprot, Javacool´s software, Fastnet99, Favorg and others while trying to make a choice. ;)

Regards,

Pieter

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Proxo & Mozilla
    (Hey, I can't just give ONE.)

It wouldn't be fair if I even considered voting for my own software. ;)

BTW, not to hijack the thread, but in IE you can get around the "no-right-click JavaScript code" by simply holding down the right mouse button. As the pop-up appears, press the space bar (still holding down the right mouse button) and after the pop-up is removed, release the mouse button. The right-click context menu will appear. :cool:

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

ZoneAlarm; without ZA I wouldn´t be at wilders, Opera net browser;must , RegProt; without can´t live, SpywareBlaster and Spybot; how loud would you howl without them, MailWasher; bounce **** back to it´s source.......hhhmmm......may I continue later ? :D

*Ari*

7. sk

sk Registered Member

Hey, with tips/tweaks like that, HIJACK AWAY, J.C. Seriously, though, thanks a lot; that's a k.a. tip!

sk

8. sk

sk Registered Member

Well, if I knew it was going to be so hard to just pick ONE, I would have made the question easier. I just figured since Widler's has, without a doubt, the brightest forum members anywhere on the net, that you all could handle it. I figured it would be insultingly redundant to just ask you to list ALL your favorites, like they do on other sites. But I promise; next time I'll try to make my questions a little easier. But I still bet SOMEBODY out there can pick 1 (ONE) (UNO) (EHAD) (EIN) etc. favorite.

:eek: :cool: :D

sk

(But when in Rome....I want to add in RegCleaner, AdAware, AdShield, Spybot S&D, Spider (for 98SE), IrfanView, and 602PC Suite, and of course all the really cool JavaCool Software from Wider's own resident JaveCool guy.)

;)

9. Pieter_Arntz

OK. If I have to pick one, then I´ll name the one I have recommended most for diagnosing problems:
    Hijackthis 1.9

Regards,

Pieter

10. sk

sk Registered Member

Well, nobody said you HAD to. :D
    But it's always nice when the mods set a good example.
    :cool:

11. root

root Registered Member

Irfanview. Where every other graphics program has grown out of proportion and charged big bucks, Irfanview has improved, stayed usable by the avg guy and stayed free.
    Jv16 power tools is a close second.

12. sk

sk Registered Member

Pixia? lol. But as you can see from my post, I am a big fan as well of Irfan and Irfanview. Irfanview was the first freeware program I sent money to the developer for, because of how much I appreciated the program and his efforts to develop, support, and improve it. Although as I somewhat jokingly said, Pixia does happen to be a very decent freeware photo editor. It's a different sort of program than Irfanview. Irfanview is sort of like the "Swiss Army Knife" of photo editors. (It slices...it dices...etc...lol). And honestly I like and use both. Here's the links to Pixia and Irfanview in case anyone is interested.

http://www.ab.wakwak.com/~knight/

http://www.irfanview.com/english.htm

(Plus Pixia comes complete with Takumi, the 'mascot girl' [sic]Their phrase, not mine.) :D

sl

Added URL tags

13. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

winamp (ver 3 has skins for the Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers) :D :D

snap

14. sk

sk Registered Member

WINAMP...it really whips the llama's *SS!
    Unfortunately, I happen to feel that unlike 2.81, which rocks, and kewl skins notwithstanding, 3.0 does something completely different to the llama's *SS.

:eek: :eek: :eek:(Did he just say *ss? :eek: :eek: :eek: He's gonna get in trouble)
    :cool: :D
    sk

15. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

:eek: oh, you're in trouble...ROFL!

i don't have the version 3 yet (i still have 2.81 too)...i just want the Tower skins!! :D

can i put another ONE best freeware program? yes? GREAT! ICQ! :blink:

snap

16. museheart

museheart Registered Member

That is a hard question. Hi everyone, this is my first post. With any luck I'll do it right. :D

I probably would have said AdAware a few months ago, but they are very remiss in updating. I might have said Zone Alarm, not Zone Alarm Pro 3 with I was using when I was being hacked and could get no support, even after my computer was running again, I got no support. In my case my biggest beef was you guessed it, 'no support'. Maybe that doesn't count because I PAID them. :eek:

Recently I have been using Spybot S&D and I must say for freeware, Patrick really has his act together. I have seen so many improvements in such a short time I figure he is more than a geek, maybe a genius.

All in all, I would like to say that I commend all makers of freeware for the time, effort and the goodness in them. (I did say freeware, we all know that we have downloaded freeware that turns out to be anything but like the infamous 'GATOR.' Well, maybe you didn't, but when I was young to the Internet...

Peace,

MuSe

17. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Now, ok, seriously taken I have to confess System Mechanic is awesome tool....rescues alot.....even shareware is good enuff. I would vote for System Mechanic on this poll. It doesn´t just only clean up registry and do back up but it also has feature for optimizing net connection, both automatically and manually :) and it also has visual bandwith meter on it ! As well it cleans temp files and other junk extensions away. Once I used it I found my 98 even 100% faster, but I used my computer about one year without doing anything but surf, go figure.
    It is worth of trying

Welcome MuSe, nice to have you here :)
    'Ari*

18. sk

sk Registered Member

Ari - System Mechanic costs $59.95. $59.95 = Freeware? No. You can do better Ari; of that I am sure.

sk

19. sk

sk Registered Member

And so....is that your FINAL ANSWER, MuSe? :D
    Well, even if you didn't really answer the question, you learned a valuable lesson here at Wilders: There ARE no 'right' answers, MuSe. Wait. I mean...there are no 'wrong' answers here at Wilder's....wait...I mean...there are no answers.....wait....oh, Peace to everyone.

:rolleyes:

20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

My all time favorite freeware: Gator, closely followed by Xupiter and GetRight ... (only KIDDING!)

Have a nice weekend, Acadia.

21. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Acadia,

The first two programs you mentioned have one serious flaw in common. SpywareBlaster won´t let me install them. :D
    The reason why you would mention GetRight in the same context escapes me.
    Would you care to clarify?

Regards,

Pieter

22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

http://makeashorterlink.com/?D298125F2

23. Pieter_Arntz

Ah. Thnx for that.
    Seems to depend on what version you´re using.

Regards,

Pieter

24. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

SK

No, I stick on System Mechanic :rolleyes:
    I was new at all networks, all I was good at was M$ office, I got troubles and System Mechanic shareware helped me.

Have a very nice weekend *Ari*

25. sk

sk Registered Member

Hmmmm...well, I think it would be a great idea then if you started a "What do you consider to be the ONE BEST SHAREWARE PROGRAM of all time?" thread. That way, you could list your favorite shareware program, and others could also, and it wouldn't get mixed up, with people coming to a thread looking for freeware and finding shareware programs mixed in. I'm sure you can understand the logic of wanting to keep the two separate, can't you?

sk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.